VIDEO Oh my God, I killed Kenny! South Park: The Stick of Truth

Discussion in 'Games' started by -Gundark-, Dec 8, 2011.

1. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The announcement has been popping up on gaming news sites everywhere, but Gameinformer's January issue has a 12 page spread that I'm still in the process of reading. I think this is either going to be really great fan service or else it'll be riddled with more bugs than an infectious waste receptacle. We can certainly expect oodles of 15-season-spanning content, at any rate. No release date has been given, other than sometime in 2012.

Any thoughts?
  2. ZanderSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Personally think this will rule. I thought they took screens of the series for the magazine, turns out they gave every art asset of the last 15 years to Obsidian to work with and there is literally no visual difference between game and cartoon.

Looks great IMO.
  3. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Well, at the end of the day it's Obsidian, so I'll expect a buggy, unfinished rush job and then be pleasantly surprised if that's not the case.
  4. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    The thing that stood out to me the most in that article is that if someone were to walk into the room while you're playing, they honestly could not tell the difference between your game and the TV show.
  5. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I've never been a hardcore South Park fan. I've seen several episodes and thought they were funny but I never got into it. After reading the Game Informer article, I set my DVR to record all the new episodes to prepare for this game. Looks awesome.
  6. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    So there will be no HUD or icons of any kinda and the camera will rarely move. And every 10 minutes or so you have to watch commercials for Carlos Mencia and Greg Dunham. This doesn't sound like a fun game. :p
  7. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    s.15 is okay but I've been watching since the beginning and it was definitely not their best work. 15 is even self referential in that regard with "Getting Older". It picks up after the season break, though so don't lose heart if the first half seems kinda meh.
  8. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    This just gives me bad memories of the N64 game, zero draw distance and 25,000,000 turkeys.

I didn't have the extra memory pack you plugged in the top :(
  9. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4

I really enjoyed the N64 game, if only because it was the first (and last) time a player could freely roam the streets of South Park. Sounds like this will be a straight-up JRPG though, about as different from a FPS as you can get.
  10. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  11. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm hoping for a Get-Lemmywinks-Out-Of-Mr-Slave's-Colon minigame. That would be epic!
  12. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I just found out the five classes for this game are Fighter, Mage, Thief, Cleric, and Jew

So, naturally I want to buy it a lot now and play the hell out of Jew...
    Saintheart likes this.
  13. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm pleasantly surprised! The finished product looks really fantastic and the... uh... "acquisitionally creative" types are saying it's pretty bug free.
    Last edited by Ramza, Mar 3, 2014
  14. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I'm not really into RPGs, especially turn-based ones, but I might just have to get this game based on the gameplay footage I've seen.
  15. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I'm pre-loaded on Steam. Just 3 and a half more hours until it unlocks. I haven't been this excited for a game release in a while. [face_dancing]
  16. Ezio Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Any decent reviews in yet? Haven't seen anything too thorough on google as yet.
  17. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    I believe the embargo is up in 30 minutes. I saw a stream Gametrailers was doing, watched the first 15 minutes, I thought it looked fun and was hilarious.
  18. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    From the reviews it seems the the RPG mechanic are decent enough, with some Paper Mario timing thrown in. The big issue is if you like South Park, because it is pretty much a 14 hour episode, a very good episode it seems.
  19. Ezio Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Gamespot Review

Looks like this just came out but I couldn't find the thread on it. I've been waiting a long time for this game and while I'll admit to being slightly disappointed that it's not available on current-gen systems (like my XB1) I'm getting it anyway for the 360. Since I don't want to load the car up with the babies and all those diaper bags, etc, just to go out to a Gamestop/Target/whatever I went ahead and started downloading it to my 360 via Games on Demand.

The Gamespot review linked above doesn't make a great case for the $60 purchase (noting a somewhat short campaign and extremely light RPG elements) but I've been itching to play something new so I'll eat the $60 and hope for a better experience than the reviewer had.
  20. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Already a thread right below this one. A mod should probably rename the title.
  21. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I played about 2 hours last night and I really like it! The combat is fun and engaging. It may be turn based, but you still have to actively block attacks so you don't spend half the time just sitting there watching the enemies attack. The game is like walking around a giant episode. TONS of references to past episodes plus lots of original comedy. My main complaints are on the technical side of the PC version. There doesn't appear to be any controller support. You can't even rebind the controls to other buttons on the keyboard and/or mouse.
  22. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    It sounds like he blew through it on easy and kept sidequests to a minimum.
  23. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Just an aside here - it's definitely worth noting that most reviewers don't have the time to play a game the way a consumer will, and they're looking at it with a much more critical eye (also, they're generally pretty bad at writing and don't really understand the way criticism works, but that's beside the point).
    Ramza likes this.
  24. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm aware of that, but it also means any playtime number they post needs to be heavily scrutinized.
  25. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    No, I agree with your above assessment, I'm just adding that bit.