main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh my God, Padme dissed Yoda!!!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Joeykin_Starrunner, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeykin_Starrunner

Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    This is a companion piece to my "Threepio being abducted from the Lars homestead" thread, which I decided to bring up since many of you brought up the issue of "rudeness" on said Threepio thread. Anywhoo, here goes...

Ok, I know that you all know the scene in AOTC...

Padme comes into Palpatine's office. Yoda turns to greet her, and says what is possibly the sweetest line from the entire film, which I will paraphrase: "Seeing you unharmed brings warm feelings to my heart..." And in response, Padme...completely ignores him and asks if they knew who was behind the attack on her ship?!? What the??? What happened there? Couldn't Lucas have simply put in a small thank you, a smile, a nod of acknowledgement? She barely even looks at Yoda!!

Now, with the Threepio/Lars scenario, we could fill in the blanks ourselves, although I still stand by what I said about that scene, i.e. Lucas should have shown Anakin saying bye to the Lars, with some possible tension being displayed between him and Owen, and then he's given Threepio or something. But in this case, there are no blanks to fill, because it's part of an existing scene that happens right before our eyes and ears. Padme blatantly ignores Yoda. And that's messed up dude.

I'm not asking for tears and hugs. Something simple woulda done just fine, like the following: Yoda says "Seeing you unharmed brings warm feelings to my heart." Padme smiles "Thank you for your kind words Master Yoda. I am glad to see you too." Yoda smiles, nods his head warmly. Beat. Padme turns serious. "But if not for my brave decoy, I would not be standing here at all. Do you have any idea who was behind this attack?" BAM, problem solved. Could it have been so hard to include??

For shame Padme...for shame!!! =(

2. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Actually, in the unedited scene she does thank Yoda for his comment - but AotC's less than stellar editors are to thank for this.

In-universe answer: Much like the Larses situation, one can hardly blame Padme for not bothering with the niceties at this moment. She just lost her personal guardian/friend and really has no idea what's going (despite her pretty accurate assumption), poor Yoda should/would understand why his remark wasn't commented on....

....or perhaps this slight was never forgotten, and it is the sole reason why he won't train Luke/Leia in Episode III.

- O_F

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Just another example of how cold most of the characters treat each other making them extremely unlikeable and unrelatable. If there were filmed dialogue of Padme thanking Yoda, it should of been included.

4. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    For god sake everyone in AOTC is just damn rude. It makes me so mad! :mad:

5. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Padme asks Yoda, "Do you know who was behind this?" Even though she doesn't directly respond to Yoda's statement about "warm feelings," she does not diss him. Look at Padme's eyeline, it is pointing down as if she is addressing someone shorter than her. If anyone is the rude one, it is Mace 'cause he answers Padme's question even though she was talking to Yoda.

Also, if Padme said something to Yoda like "Thank you Master Yoda, seeing you warms me as well," people would complain about how Padme doesn't act like someone who just survived an assassination attempt.

I do not think it was rude of her in the situation, considering someone just tried to blow her up. How clearly would any of us be thinking in the same situation?

6. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    mace always butts in and talks for Yoda. He gets on my nerves when he does that in tpm and now in aotc and rots. Go away SLJ, go away...

Have some respect for the master jedi. you too padme. Yoda is a great man.

7. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    hehehe, somebody shud write a fanfic of wad yoda and padme did during spring break. some hankypanky and green love going on there. hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.