Oh my God, they stole Threepio!!!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Joeykin_Starrunner, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Knight

star 1
    You guys ever notice that when Artoo aproaches our heroes with Obi Wan's message after Shmi's funeral, the next scene shows them listening to said message in Padme's ship and Threepio is inexplicably with them, then they take off to rescue Obi Wan, and they just take Threepio with them? Not a word to the Lars, not a goodbye, not a hey, we're borrowing your driod, nuthin!! Not only is Anakin a mass murderer, but a thief as well! For shame, Anakin!

All joking aside, I'm sure we can assume that in the "negative space" between scenes, Anakin bid farewell to the Lars and basically said "Yo, I built this droid, I'm taking it with me" and they let him, because Anakin is scary, and because 3PO annoyed them anyway.

At any rate, I woulda liked a little scene showing this imagined goodbye, with Owen and Anakin kinda displaying a bad vibe between them. You know, just to show the roots of Owen's dislike of Anakin that he displayed in A New Hope. It woulda been cool if that dislike would have been right from the get go, i.e. Owen just doesn't like Anakin from the start, and that the feeling is mutual. As is, the Lars' screentime was very minimal, and a small scene like that wouldn't have hurt.
  2. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    yeah this has always bothered me.

no good bye to the lars, they just run off with threepio.
  3. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    It boggles the mind...

they were in a hurry, though.
  4. LazyDivey98 Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeah, but Cleig did get his mom killed. I mean, put a fence up or something you lazy...

Of course I assumed that Cleig gave him to Anakin and that events can happen off screen.
  5. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    You make some very interesting points, Joeykin_Starrunner, but in the interest of advancing the plot, it wouldn't remain congruent with issues such as narrative pragmatism to have a scene involving a farewell between the respective parties (Anakin/Padme and the Lars family) on Tatooine. Yes, technically the matter in question could be construed as a lapse, yet conversely, in terms of economical storytelling techniques, it wouldn't make much sense to impede the plot ascension with such frivolous details. Movies cannot include absolutely every last detail of information that an audience member might wish to know, so inevitably they will make certain concessions which might ignore aspects of momentary detail, while ultimately serving a greater purpose. Such matters could reasonably be compared to technical glitches or gaffes which occur within the frames of certain shots. Take, for instance, a moment in Stanley Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" in which a crew member's reflection can be observed in one of the stainless steel shower stall posts in a bathroom scene early in the film; Kubrick was widely known as an obsessive perfectionist who enjoyed complete creative control over his pictures (excluding "Spartacus", but that's another story) - little would escape his notice, including the aforementioned error in this particular sequence, I would imagine, yet the image remained in the final print of the movie (let's just ignore the fact that this might have been posthumously altered in one of the film's digital prints). The point is that Kubrick had approved this, most likely because the shot worked in the manner that he wanted it to - it was therefore left in the film because it adhered to his all-encompassing vision for that movie. This long-winded analogy is intended to draw a parallel with the matter in question which relates specifically to AOTC, but is indicative of the fact that filmmakers are, on occasion, aware of various spatial blunders, but include them as they conform to the parameters of their story. It's kind of interesting to note excised or absent pieces of dramatic exposition, but in scenes such as these, such things can sometimes prove to be quite superfluous.
  6. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    Holy fried fish! :eek:

You're awesome, Tyranus! How can you write a paragraph that big! That's awesome! :eek:
  7. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Obladi_Oblada Jedi Knight

star 2
    No offense, but who writes like that when they're not getting graded or paid for it? Talk about superfluous. You could have said what you wanted in a few sentences tops. You made good points, but there's no need to bury them in big, overwritten paragraphs.

Strilo edit: Dude don't tell people how to post...
  9. LazyDivey98 Jedi Knight

star 2
    It kinda makes Luke's line funny "you know I think those droids might of been stolen"

I'm sure Owen was thinking "No kidding!"
  10. OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It was Anakin's droid in the first place though...
  11. Matt-trooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah. It was really anakins.
    I don't think owen would care too much about giving anakin 3po anyway, he did just loose his mom.
  12. Deeysew Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Droids like threepio are very useful on a farm like his, especially now that his father is crippled. Also the droid belonged to Shmi moreso than Anakin, I believe (remember how Annie says he'll tell his mom not to sell him and that he'll be kept by her. Annie was bound to be gone for a very long time, perhaps forever. Threepio's not going to be waiting for his master to return....), and therefore belonged to Cliegg too when he and shmi were wed.

Another issue is how C3PO could recognize master Annie. Does he have a sharp sense of smell, like a dog?

It's beeen years. His master flew away on a star ship years ago. His new master works on a dinky little farm, but he has no problem going with Padme and Annie even though he's not needed.

Very interesting.

13. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    The AOTC novelization says the Lars gave Anakin and Padme the droid as a gift, considering Anakin built it. Simple as that.

No stealing or otherwise.
  14. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, 3PO wasn't all they took, in a little known deleted scene, we see Anakin and Padme taking the Lars' savings, and to add to the insult, they clean out the Lars' fridge too. :p
  15. MANDALORIAN Jedi Master

star 4
    The AOTC novelization says the Lars gave Anakin and Padme the droid as a gift, considering Anakin built it. Simple as that.

No stealing or otherwise.

See, this is the problem with the prequels - for them to make any kind of sense you have to sit down and read all kinds of supplementary material written by other people.

Lucas either edited badly or didn't write a suitable departure scene. Perhaps there wasn't enough potential for CGI and bluescreen.

While I am at it, the scene back in the ship is awful. Anakin not wanting to save Obi Wan despite JUST saying he wants to stop people from dying and then being all smiles again 5 minutes after burying his mother...

16. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
    Listen to the novelization you will
  17. jengafett Jedi Master

star 4
    This probably happened:

Anakin: I must leave, my master needs me.

Cliegg: It was good to meet you son. Come back some day.

Anakin: I don't think I'll ever be able to return here. The memories...

(Anakin and Padme stroll off)

Anakin: Goodbye...

C-3PO: Goodbye Master Anakin.

Owen: Wait...I think you're forgetting someone.

Anakin: Who?

Owen: Your droid, we've never needed him, your mother would've wanted you to have him.

Anakin: thanks. Come on Threepio.

-------------

That's all it takes.
  18. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin not wanting to save Obi Wan despite JUST saying he wants to stop people from dying and then being all smiles again 5 minutes after burying his mother...

I guess you missed the part where Anakin broke down after saying he wanted to stop people from dying?

And Padme "coercing" him into going off to save Obi Wan is the first good thing to happen to him since he stole a kiss from Padme, he's not allowed a smile?

Also, they just found out Obi Wan was in serious danger - you can hardly blame them for not getting back off the ship and "say goodbye" to the Larses.

- O_F
  19. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "Lucas either edited badly or didn't write a suitable departure scene. Perhaps there wasn't enough potential for CGI and bluescreen."

there were a lot more lars scenes all of which got cut.

Lucas should axed Naboo completely. Instead of posing as refugees (stupid idea anyways) Anakin and Padme should of just had their ship from the beginning. Enroute to Naboo anakin could of had his nightmare and steered the ship to tatooine to check on his mom.

thent he romance could develop at the homestead set against the tragedy of anakins mother.

that would be much better.

"While I am at it, the scene back in the ship is awful. Anakin not wanting to save Obi Wan despite JUST saying he wants to stop people from dying and then being all smiles again 5 minutes after burying his mother..."

Exactly. If anything Anakin should be the one eager to run off and save Obi-wan with Padme and the Lars family trying to convince him to stay at the homestead. Deal with his grief and obey his orders.

basically switch the positions of anakin and Padme in the argument. Why would Padme care so much about Kenobi? She barely knows him. Since when did Anakin become super obedient?

"See, this is the problem with the prequels - for them to make any kind of sense you have to sit down and read all kinds of supplementary material written by other people."

agreed. Just once I'd like to discuss these movies without people saying "well if you read this comic issue #147 his character motivations make complete sense" or "in level3 of this videogame you find out why the Jedi are forbidden to do that"

You have to read this book, or this book or this book. Even in episode3 in the set diaries PH said there was a continuity issue dealing with Count dooku and what he knew about sidious' plan. He pointed out to Lucas and lucas said that the EU people could figure out an explanation.

this isnt wild basher theories, this is in offical SW.com materials.
  20. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4
    that would be much better.

In.your.opinion.

If anything Anakin should be the one eager to run off and save Obi-wan

The last time he did that he ended up losing his mother and slaughtering an entire village, Anakin is scared.

Why would Padme care so much about Kenobi?

She says why in the movie itself, "He's your mentor, your friend..", Padme knows that not going after Kenobi would eat away at Anakin (just like it did with his mother) so she allows him a getaway through her reasoning.

Since when did Anakin become super obedient?

Since the last time he "disobeyed his mandate" he ended up exloring his darkside.

- O_F
  21. FORCE-WIELDER1 Force Ghost

star 5
    At any rate, I woulda liked a little scene showing this imagined goodbye, with Owen and Anakin kinda displaying a bad vibe between them. You know, just to show the roots of Owen's dislike of Anakin that he displayed in A New Hope. It woulda been cool if that dislike would have been right from the get go, i.e. Owen just doesn't like Anakin from the start, and that the feeling is mutual. As is, the Lars' screentime was very minimal, and a small scene like that wouldn't have hurt.

I agree.
  22. JONJEDI Force Ghost

star 5
    At any rate, I woulda liked a little scene showing this imagined goodbye, with Owen and Anakin kinda displaying a bad vibe between them. You know, just to show the roots of Owen's dislike of Anakin that he displayed in A New Hope. It woulda been cool if that dislike would have been right from the get go, i.e. Owen just doesn't like Anakin from the start, and that the feeling is mutual.

No it works well the way it is, Owen and Anakin get on alright but because Anakin ran off with their droid and didn't even have the manners to say goodbye, it made Owen forever hate Anakin aand he was determined for Luke to not turn out like Anakin and tought Luke not to steal and learn his manners, my god Anakins manners are disgraceful, Owen introduces Beru and Padme waits to be introduced, she don't get introduced so she has to but in and say "I'm Padme". Didn't Anakin wonder why the critics don't like him he is just damn rude. God he just makes me mad the rude little boy who thinks he's all grown up, damn this rude boy is making me madder and madder. :mad:

23. MANDALORIAN Jedi Master

star 4

Even in episode3 in the set diaries PH said there was a continuity issue dealing with Count dooku and what he knew about sidious' plan. He pointed out to Lucas and lucas said that the EU people could figure out an explanation.

Is that true?!?!?

Good Lord. It certainly does seem that Lucas could not give a flying **** about a cohesive narrative.
    This "EU writers will bail me out" and "the fans will cover for me" type attitude is a key reason why Lucas is a different man to 30 years ago.

24. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    ooooh.... the hardship of Star Wars fandom. ;)
  25. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    3PO is Anakins robot. He can do what he wants with him. It would have been nice to get some good-bye with the Lars's, but on the other hand, the movie at this point is all about building things up to the climax, so I don't mind the fact that they just fly away without really saying farewell.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.