main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oh what a wonderful double standard.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    In a recent TFN article, as a matter of fact in quite a few TFN articles, links to websites containing profanity were posted.

In a recent JNB post, as a matter of fact in quite a few JNB posts, links to websites containing profanity were posted.

A link to profanity on a TFN page results in well just about nothing.

A link to profanity on a JNB post results to bannage.

Oh, what a wonderful double-standard. [face_plain]

On a side note, did anyone notice that no one, upon reading that article, became corrupt or anything? No virgin ears were deflowered. Nothing happened. People saw the profanity and didn't care. Why can't the boards adopt a mentality like that? Allow posting of mild expletives or at least linking to websites containing mild expletives because its not such a big deal. It doesn't really matter.

2. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    JNB, can you provide a link. I don't wander out these forums much.

Thanks!

~H~

3. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I'd love to post a link but I'd probably get banned.

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    TFN and the JC don't have to follow the same rules.

Also, the TFN staff can review every article on a case-by-case basis, while the JC makes things easier by just having a ban on linking to profanity, etc. This way, there is a clear rule at the JC, and there isn't a "gray area", where people would complain, "How come my thread was locked yet UserX's thread was left open?"

5. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Trust TFN's Judgement TFN does. Trust JNB's judgement... they do not. You may not like it, but I understand why they have the right to do it while we don't.

Can I say "Sticklebacks?"

6. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    No virgin ears were deflowered.

Mine were, but I think that had more to do with the new brand of Q-Tip I was using.

...and what Jeff said.

7. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Was it TFNGames?

¤Night

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I believe this incident refers to the Clone Wars Cartoon story that links to AICN.

All I can say is that there are slightly different sets of rules in operation between TFn and the JC.

YodaJeff's on the mark;
    Also, the TFN staff can review every article on a case-by-case basis, while the JC makes things easier by just having a ban on linking to profanity, etc. This way, there is a clear rule at the JC, and there isn't a "gray area", where people would complain, "How come my thread was locked yet UserX's thread was left open?"

No big deal...

9. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Oooooh okay.

¤Night

10. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I believe this incident refers to the Clone Wars Cartoon story that links to AICN.

Ah, when I read this thread I assumed it was about the TFN links to The Onion website, which is on the JC "no link" list.

11. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]Sound to me that if people don't like what's going on here in the JC, then just go somewhere else. Not everyone can be happy about how things are run. It's impossible to keep everyone all cheery and happy about everything. Can't we just get back to talking about Star Wars?[/color]

12. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Not only that, but this is Josh and Scott's site. What they say goes. I don't see where it's up for argument unless it is a blatant problem that affects everyone.

13. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    As I understand it you CAN link to a wesite which has profanity on the JC. You just have to give a clear warning.

14. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    It's not a 'double standard' if you're talking about two fairly separate entities.

TFN the site and the JC don't operate under the same guidelines. The rules of the JC do not carry over to TFN as a news site, just like they don't carry over to any other website out there. The rules of the JC only apply on the forums.

Vertical

15. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, there you have it. Behold the words of the supreme chancellor of geekdom.

Sticklebacks!

16. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Sure Scottjosh can do whatever he wants, but that doesn't make it fair, and that doesn't mean we can't complain about it.

JNB is right, it is a double standard, and it's bull crap. If they can allow it on the main site, they can allow it on the board(which probably get less traffic than the main site anyway, so less people would get 'offended').

And I don't see how the JC and TFN are all that seperate. TFN staff have power here, and much of the staff is recruited from here.

17. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I wish all you people who are so upset because you aren't allowed to use more controversial profanity would pack up and go somewhere else. Your apparent inability to communicate here without the use of inmappropriate language just doesn't make sense.

Why is it that some of you seem to so deperately want to curse here? Why is it that you seek out any and every opportunity to find "double standards" in the way these forums are run? Calling this issue out in such a way simply exopses the fact that some of you are just mad because you can't say **** and **** and ********** and ****** ******. I think that's a pretty lame attitude to have at a Star Wars site.

It's not "fair" because you can't use profanity here? Geez...

AYBABTU?

18. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    We're not talking about cussing here on the boards, we're talking about a huge list of websites that we're not allowed to link to because they just might have cussing somewhere on them.

Read the thread before posting plz.

19. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I know exactly what this discussion is about. It's about a very few people who don't like being told they can't use or post profanity or link to profanity on this site.

AYBABTU?

20. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Very well, I'll review the policy with Josh, citing this incident. I'll get back to you. I'm not promising change, but I'll discuss it with him.

Vertical

21. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    In my opinion, allowing links to profanity is opening up an entire bag of worms. If we could link to it, then why can't we post it? And who is to say what is going too far? There would have to be too many judgemental decisions, and there would be cries of favoritism or foul play every other day.

It isn't as simple as allowing links to profanity. Everything needs to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, something the TFN staff can do, but would be nearly impossible to do on the JC.

22. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Well that's all we can ask, Vert.

I don't think Scottjosh realises how this rule limits posting here. Many humourous and relevant threads get locked because there happens to be a cussword on the page. TFN can't try to make the entire internet follow TFN's rules.

23. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    This rule hasn't limited my posting yet.

There are ways to be humorous or interesting without swearing.

24. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but some sites are funny, and just happen to have cussing on them, but we can't link to them. I think outlawing an entire site just because it has cussing anywhere on it is extreme.

25. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Start your own ezBoard (or, perhaps a board at another site). Name it the "JC Underground" or something hip like that. Invite all the cool kids, and have your own little private hangout. There, you can curse all you want!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.