Ohana (Obi-Wan AU) *~Update 01/08!!!~*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Miana Kenobi, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Just a fic to make me not lose my sanity to boredom over the summer...

Disclaimer: When this story was begun in 2002, I had just returned from O'ahu, where I fell in love with the state of Hawai'i. However, I chose to set this on the isle of Kaua'i, where I had never been before. However, in 2004, I actually went to Kaua'i and saw all the places I had researched and wrote about.

As consequence, the first half of the story, in relations to the geography and weather of Kaua'i is a little, okay, maybe a lot off. However, instead of rewritting the entire thing, I decided to merely warn you of the falseness of some descriptions, and also to warn you if confusion arises when I write about it differently later on. :p

Or, as Kit says, it's artistic license. ;)

~~~~~~~~~
    Eleven year old Anakin Skywalker scrunched up his face in displeasure as he watched his master pack a bag. "You're going away again, Master?"

Obi-Wan Kenobi let out a sigh, tossing another tunic into his pack. "The council is sending me to oversee a peace talk on some distant planet. I'm sorry Anakin, I know you want to go, but it's not up to me. The council wants you to stay here and continue your training."

"But I thought you were supposed to train me."

Obi-Wan turned to his apprentice, kneeling down to come at eye level with him. "I promise you I will be back soon, Anakin. In a few years, the Council will allow me to take you on these missions. But in the mean time, you must keep up with your studies."

Anakin reluctantly nodded. "Yes, Master."

Obi-Wan gave a small smile. "And no more rewiring the med droids, you hear? Healer Rhobinson is getting quite mad about that."

Anakin supressed a laugh. "Yes, Master." He handed Obi-Wan his lightsaber as the Jedi closed his pack. Obi-Wan smiled once more, ruffling Anakin's short hair as he took his lightsaber. "I'll be back soon," he promised, heading out of their dorm and making his way to the turbo lifts. Anakin watched as his Master entered the lifts, seeing him blasted out of sight. He felt something telling him that something was wrong, yet could not pin point it. He felt a heavy hand rest on his shoulder, looking up to see Master Windu behind him.

"Don't worry, Anakin," Mace said. "He'll be back in no time." Yet Anakin could not figure out why he thought otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Obi-Wan's star fighter exited hyperspace quickly, a sea of white stars scattered across blackness filling the viewport. On the left side control panel, Obi-Wan had a star map pulled up, configuring in the coordinates for his next jump. Starring up from the screen for a moment, he saw a lush planet before him. Swirling clouds collected around the center of the planet, offsetting the blue water that covered much of this side of the planet.

Obi-Wan couldn't peel his eyes away from the planet. "R3," he called through his commset, "What planet is that?"

The little green and white astromech droid whistled in response, Obi-Wan reading the droid's answer. "Unknown? That's odd... I thought the archives had all the planets labeled... R3, are you sure?? On the screen, the droid whistled a confirmation. Obi-Wan turned his gaze back to the planet. ?Odd? Very odd indeed??

A blast brought Obi-Wan back from his trance. The small shipped rocked, Obi-Wan twisting his head to try to see. ?R3, what was that?!? He looked down at his scanner, seeing a group of Headhunters right behind him. ?Blast, Pirates!? he grumbled. He crabbed the controls, steering the ship away from the Headhunters. But the group of pirates had anticipated his moves. Obi-Wan saw four more Headhunters ahead of him, quickly turning to controls to avoid collision. The star fighter quickly began descending through the mystery planet?s atmosphere, Obi-Wan trying to keep the controls steady as he looked for the pirates. His scanning screen indicated that they were right on his tail. Green flashes outside the cockpit window indicated to Obi-Wan that they were shooting at him.

2. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    wow, I like your beginning keep going/
  3. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    :) Thanks, Jedifalcon!

He he he... my dad's ticked at me for this one.. I was up until 3 am playing with the Hawaiian translations, but it was worth it!

~~~~~~~~~
    Obi-Wan awoke to strange buzzing in his head. He blinked his eyes, finding himself inside a small circular structure. It had a ceiling made of large leaves, the floor of hard packed dirt. The mattress he lay on felt like it was just cloth covering more leaves. The strange buzzing became clearer, Obi-Wan realizing that it was language. He could not understand anything they were saying, but as he listened, he realized that every time they said the word ?Haole,? he could feel someone?s eyes looking at him.

He tried to sit up on the uncomfortable mattress, the strange language stopping. Through the open doorway of the hut came two dark men, Obi-Wan getting his first glance at the natives. They were both over two meters tall with dark black hair and broad noses. They wore intricate necklaces of shells, and had a dark tattoo around their right biceps. They wore no tunic, only trouser like garments made of a light color. Obi-Wan noted the leaf-like anklets they both wore, matching ones on their wrists. The taller of the two stepped forward, a small spear held firmly in his hands.

?Haole, ko?u inaho lani Peni. ?Oe kahua Kulanakauhale Lihue. Makou Ho'alohaloha.? He saw that Obi-Wan did not understand, turning his head back to the door and shouting, ?Luahine! Lawe mai mea 'ai a me wai!?

Obi-Wan watched as an old woman made her way into the small hut, carrying a large flat leaf. On it was several things that Obi-Wan thought we food. Behind the old woman, a girl came with a strange, brown, hairy ball, the top cut off. The old woman set the leaf of food in Obi-Wan?s lap, the girl setting the ball beside Obi-Wan?s mattress. He saw that it was not a ball, rather a strange fruit. Inside it was water. Ignoring manners, Obi-Wan drank most of the water in one gulp. He whiped the small dribble on his lip with the back of his hand. ?Thank you,? he breathed, bobbing his head in a slight bow. He looked down at the ?plate? of food, seeing a pink/brown meat. He tentatively picked it up and stuck it in his mouth, a rich flavor filling his taste buds.

?Pua?a,? the old woman said, indicating the meat.

?Pua?a, right,? Obi-Wan said, taking another bite of the sweet meat. Next to it, he saw a light purpleish mush which closely resembled Master Yoda?s gruel. He stuck his fingers in it and got a globule of it, quickly bringing it up to his mouth and tasting it. It offset the sweet taste of the meat instantly, Obi-Wan trying not to wrinkle his face in disgust. It did taste like Master Yoda?s gruel except worse. In fact, it tasted like paste.

?Poi,? the old woman said, smiling.

?Poi, yeah, remind me never to eat that again,? Obi-Wan mumbled under his breath. He ate his last small slice of the brown meat, trying to get rid of the paste taste. The last thing on the leaf plate was a white meat, the smell telling Obi-Wan it was fish.

?Mahimahi,? the woman told him.

Obi-Wan tried it, finding it not too bad. He took his last sip of the water, the taste of that mush still present. The old woman quickly took away the leaf and fruit cup, leaving the two men with Obi-Wan. Obi-wan bowed his head once again. ?Thank you,? he said slowly, hoping that it didn?t mean something bad in their language. But, to Obi-Wan?s surprise, the men smiled. ?Mahalo,? the both said.

?Mahalo? Oh, thank you, I get it. Mahalo,? he repeated.

The taller man once more turned to the doorway, yelling, ?Iokua!?

Another dark man entered the hut, Obi-Wan noticing that this man had more necklaces that the other two men. He knelt down next to Obi-Wan, his eyes on Obi-Wan?s leg. He pulled out a knife like object, Obi-Wan seeing him cut open his pant leg, which was stained with red blood. The man examined the many punctures on the leg, saying, ?Mano nahu.? He motioned for the two men to come over, mumbling something in their language.
  4. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Very interesting indeed :D Keep it up!
  5. Maeve Nadia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Very interesting, Miana!
  6. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
  7. jedi7 Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Jacinta_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
  9. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    whoa... lots more people!

Nadia ~ Hey, don't I know you from somewhere? ;)

Jedi7 ~ Mahalo!

Jacinta ~ Lol, Mahalo!

10. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
  11. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
  12. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    The Falleen ~ Mahalo!

Kitara ~ Thanks, and I love the bottom line of your sig! ;)

I'll try to have something up tonight.

13. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    well, here's a post...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When Obi-Wan awoke again, he saw the bright light that had been seeping into the hut lightening, fading down into a soft glow. Through the open doorway, he could see the people creating a large fire in a circular area, lined with stones. Beyond the camp, he could see the sun setting over a range of green mountains, it?s fading light creating pastel colors in the moving clouds.

He heard footsteps coming near, seeing the same girl bring in another one of those strange round fruits. Obi-Wan noted the blue dress she had on, a pattern of strange flowers and leaves on it. She had a wreath of green leaves on her head, as well as on her wrists and ankles. Around her neck were necklaces of soft white shells, clattering as she moved. She knelt down next to Obi-Wan, holding up his head as she poured the contents of the fruit into his mouth.

?Eia nei, inu ia. Ia wai,? she told him softly. Obi-Wan drank the liquid, finding it to be water. He looked up to see the girl smiling softly. Her eyes were almond shaped, dark brown orbs nestled beneath her eyelids. Once empty, she took the fruit cup away, setting on the ground next to her. She didn?t take her gaze off Obi-Wan. ?Haole,? she said softly, ?Ko?u inaho Leikele. Aha kou inaho?? At Obi-Wan?s perplexed look, she laughed softly. ??Oe ?a?ole maopopo a?u.? She smiled once more, taking her hand and pointing to herself. ?Leikele,? she said, then pointing to Obi-Wan.

If possible, Obi-Wan grew more confused. ?Lay-klee-a??

The girl shook her head. ??A?ole, ?a?ole? A?u Leikele, ?oe?.? She said, pointing at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan tried it once again. ?Lay-ka-lay?? The girl smiled broadly and nodded her head, pointing at herself once more. ?Leikele,? she said again.

Realization slowly sunk into Obi-Wan?s head. ?Oh? it?s your name. I get it. Leikele,? he said, pointing at her. The girl nodded her head once again, then pointed at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan pointed to himself, saying, ?Obi-Wan.?

The girl?s brows furrowed. ?Oki-wan??

Obi-Wan shook his head. ?No no, Obi-Wan.?

The girl tried once more. ?Obi-Wan??

Obi-Wan nodded his head. He heard a man shouting outside the hut, the girl who called herself Leikele turning her head to the voice. She turned back to Obi-Wan. ??Oe moe I keia manawa. ?Oe koi kou ikaika. Moe I keia manawa,? she repeated, getting up and rushing out of the hut. She stopped at the entrance, turning back and smiling. ?Aloha, Obi-wan,? she said, turning again and quickly leaving. Obi-Wan watched her leave, seeing it already dark outside the hut. The men had the large fire going brightly, people gathering around it.

His thoughts dwindled back onto his leg, Obi-Wan slowly sitting up and peering down at his leg. A large leaf was draped over his leg, Obi-Wan gently lifting it up to see. The yellow paste had settled in the wounds, closing them up. He saw the once one of the punctures had closed, the remaining yellow paste simply dried up, acting as a sealant. He sighed in relief that it didn?t hurt anymore, but the dried paste itched like mad.

He could hear more talking outside his hut, raising his head to see a large crowd of people setting themselves around the fire. A small group of young men had strange looking pieces of wood, Obi-Wan realizing that they must be instruments of some kind. He heard a male voice booming over the crowd, everyone else falling silent. The man continued talking, finally stopping after a minute. When he finished, the group of boys began playing on their wooden instruments, a strange drum sound echoing out of the wood. The men playing began chanting something, the crowd echoing a reply.

Obi-Wan listened to the chanting and playing, laying his head back down on the strange mattress. The people seemed far too primitive to know what a star fighter was, or even a comlink. Obi-Wan closed his eyes, hoping that he would somehow get off the watery planet and back to real civilization. He began to relax, feeling a strange tickli
  14. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    push this back to the top...
  15. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    This is wonderful Miana! I love it and I'm definately looking forward to more! :)
  16. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
  17. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    next post will probably be up tomorrow. :)
  18. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    This is great. Keep going :)
  19. Maeve Nadia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Interesting, Miana....you've got me wondering....and yeah, I'm pretty sure I do know you from somewhere ;)
  20. I love Sci Fi Force Ghost

star 4
    OK this is obviously Hawaii and Earth, but I'm curious as to when, and how exactly he's going to figure out their language, more soon please! :)
  21. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Kitara ~ Thanks. I'm glad you like.

Nadia ~ Mahalo! Yeah, I think I know you... I think we even wrote a story or two together... ;)

Sci Fi ~ Hey! Long time no see! As to time frame, um... Somewhere between after the Samoans and Tahitians colonized Hawaii and before Cpt. James Cook found it? That only narrows it down to... oh, maybe a 1000 year time span. :D Now forewarning, I am going to use a King from the 1700s, but it's supposed to be set a long time before that, just to warn you history buffs. And yes, it's Hawaii. Kauai, to be exact. (On the chain, the farthest west island. It's where Jurassic Park was filmed, so you get an idea of the scenery) ;) (Except no dinos!)
  22. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Obi-Wan awoke the next morning, a bright light shining in his eye. He raised his hand to shield his eyes, turning over to get away from the light. He felt something block the light, opening his eyes to see the man who had scolded the girl the previous night come in. A smaller man followed him in, the first man speaking. ?Aloha kakahiaka, Haole. Ia Koukalaka,? he said, indicating the smaller man. ??Oia ka'ahele I nui moku ma kela 'ao'ao moana, a me ?oia 'olelo kama'ilio Haole 'olelo.? He stepped aside, the smaller man coming forward. He cleared his throat, pronouncing slowly, ?Guten Tag.? He saw more confusion crawl onto Obi-Wan?s face, trying again. ?Guten tag, heir.? He saw no change in Obi-Wan?s expression, turning to the other man and shaking his head.

?Ho'a'o kekahi,? the taller man replied. The small man turned back to Obi-Wan, eyeing him. ?Paha Palika,? he mumbled to himself. He then spoke to Obi-Wan. ?Bonjour,? he said, his face dropping as the confused look remained on Obi-Wan?s face. He turned to the man again. ??A?ole Palika.?

?Ho?a?o Kepania,? the taller man suggested, the smaller man sighing as he turned to Obi-Wan once again. ?Buenos dias, muchacho,? the man tried. He scrunched up his dark face in concentration, his eyes lighting up after a minute. ?A?u ho?a?o Pelekane,? he mumbled, eyeing Obi-Wan. ?Good morning,? he said slowly, sighing in relief when he saw recognition in Obi-Wan?s eyes. ?You speak English?? the man asked.

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow. ?If that?s what you call Basic here, then I guess.?

The man smiled. ?I am Koukalaka.? He turned to the man behind him. ?This man Chief Peni, leader of our village.?

Chief Peni stepped forward, beginning to talk swiftly in their native tongue, Koukalaka translating. ?He says ?On behalf of the village of Lihue and all of Kauai, he welcomes you.??

Obi-Wan bobbed his head in a slight bow. ?Thank you. I am grateful for your kindness.?

Koukalaka turned to the chief. ??Oie olelo ?Mahalo no kou ho'okipa.?? The chief nodded his head, indicating that he was pleased. ?Olelo I ?oia ?oia wawae lapa?au mahalo I Iokua,? Peni instructed. Koukalaka turned his gaze back to Obi-Wan. ?He says ?your leg has healed thanks to Medicine Man Iokua.?

?What was it that hurt me?? Obi-Wan inquired.

?You were bit by a Mano; I believe the Haole?s call them sharks.?

Obi-Wan recognized the word haole. ?Begging your pardon, but what?s a Haole??

Koukalaka smiled. ?You are a Haole. Haole means ?white man?, or ?foreigner.? But you are different.?

Obi-Wan?s face wrinkled up. ?Different? How so??

Chief Pani began talking. ??Oe kulu mai lani! ?Oe alaka'I mai Pele!?

Koukalaka bowed his head in reverence. ?Chief Peni say ?You fell from the sky. You were sent by Pele.'?

?I?m afraid I don?t understand. ?Who or what is Pele??

Koukalaka continued bowing his head, Obi-Wan seeing the chief bow his also. ?Pele is the Goddess of the firey mountains. She lived on top island and rules from her hot throne.?

?Firey mountain? You mean a volcano??

?Yes. Pele is pleased with us. She has not sent her liquid breath in some time. But when she becomes angry, her breath comes from the mountain, burning everything.?

Chief Peni raised his head, eyeing Obi-Wan. ??Oe hiki hele wawae??

Koukalaka also raised his head. ?The chief wishes to know if you are able to walk.?

Obi-Wan sat up, stretching his legs. He got to his feet, wincing slightly as his weight fell onto his healing leg. ?I can manage,? he told the translator. The chief smiled. ?Haole, aha kou inaho??

?The chief wishes to know your name,? the translator said.

?My name is Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan Kenobi,? he replied.

?Hoahanau Obi-Wan,? the chief said, smiling as he led Obi-Wan out of the hut and into the open village, giving Obi-Wan his first chance to look. The village was made up of huts similar to the one he was staying in, men, women and children moving around, doing their work. He saw a group of men near a larg
  23. I love Sci Fi Force Ghost

star 4
    good to see you again too, I've been busy and away from the boards...

Great post!!! I like, good thing for translators :)
  24. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
  25. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    wheeeeeeee... long post...

~~~~~~
    Near Peni?s hut, a large mat of woven leaves was laid over the sand, the women arranging different types of food on large green leaves. He saw both Koukalaka?s sons and Peni?s sons sit down on the mat, talking and laughing among themselves. Leikele and Wilikinia coming out of the hut with many of the strange, hairy, brown fruits Obi-Wan had seen, taking them to a large woven basket and dipping them in the water, filling them up. Obi-Wan caught eyes with Leikele, seeing the girl give him a small smile. He saw her eyes linger behind them, he smile fading instantly, being replaced by a frown. Obi-Wan turned, seeing Peni greeting a young man around Obi-Wan?s age as he came toward the hut.

Koukalaka leaned toward Obi-Wan. ?That Kilika, son of Chief Kepeli from Kepaa.?

?Why is he here then?? Obi-Wan inquired, seeing Koukalaka grin.

?Leikele is to be Kilika?s wife. Their union will unite Kepaa and Lihue.?

Obi-Wan saw the other family members welcoming Kilika as well, noticing the frown on Leikele?s face grow larger. ?Leikele doesn?t seem to like him very much,? Obi-Wan commented to Koukalaka, who nodded.

?Union was arranged by Peni and Chief Kepeli.?

Obi-Wan nodded, his eyes lingering back to Leikele. The bride-to-be looked scornfully at her future husband, seeing the sympathy in Obi-Wan?s eyes. Obi-Wan turned his head back to their newest arrival, seeing Peni talking to the young man, setting his hand out in a pointing manner at Obi-Wan, the Jedi realizing that the Chief was introducing him. Kilika smiled, saying ?Aloha, Obi-Wan.?

Obi-Wan smiled politely, bobbing his head in a nod. Peni continued rambling to Kilika, leading him over to the mat and sitting down next to him. Obi-Wan felt Koukalaka?s hand on his shoulder, the translator leading Obi-Wan to the mat also, both men sitting down. Nani and Alekona set the last few platters of food on the mat, themselves sitting down. Peni raised his hands up, exclaiming, ?Pele ho'omaika'I keia mea?ai!? He and the others then began taking food and eating, Obi-Wan watching them for a second, then tentatively reaching down and picking up a piece of food, tasting it. It was that fish they had given him the previous night, Obi-Wan helping himself to another piece. Next to him, he heard Kilika begin talking. ?Leikele, pehea ?oe keia la??

?Maika'i no,? Leikele answered sharply.

Obi-Wan eyed Koukalaka, who leaned toward him and explained. ?He asked how she was this day. She said ?fine.??

The Jedi nodded, seeing Kilika eyeing him. ?Obi-Wan, ha?I a?u. ?Oe he wahine?? the man asked, Obi-Wan seeing Leikele eye him also, waiting for his answer.

Koukalaka leaned toward him again. ?He asked if you have a wife.?

?Oh,? Obi-Wan said, looking up at Kilika. ?No. My people don?t approve of marriage.?

Koukalaka acted as interpreter, turning to Kilika. ??Oia olelo ??A?ole, a?u po?e ?a?ole ho?apono o male ?ana.??

Obi-Wan heard Leikele snort softly, her mother giving her a hard glance. Leikele eyed Obi-Wan, trying not to laugh. ?A?u makemake a?u noho me kou po?e!? she laughed, receiving more hard glances from her parents.

?Leikele!? Peni hissed, glaring at his daughter.

Obi-Wan felt guilty, wondering if his comment had gotten her in trouble. He eyed Koukalaka, who whispered the translation. ?She says she wish she lived with your people.?

An uneasy silence followed the group, Peni finally asking Kilika something, the two men beginning to talk. The twins Peleke and Keoki began throwing small white nuts at each other, only stopping when Nani scolded them. Wilikinia and Leikele were softly talking to each other, eyeing Obi-Wan often. Obi-Wan heard Koukalaka lean near him once more, saying, ?You better be careful. I think my daughter likes you.?

?And how old is she?? Obi-Wan asked, taking a drink of the water from the brown fruit cup. He noticed that Wilikinia was also pretty, but not as much as her cousin.

?She is fourteen years of age,? Koukalaka said, Obi-Wan trying h
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.