main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ohana (Obi-Wan AU) *~Update 01/08!!!~*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Miana Kenobi, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Obi-Wan awoke, groaning as his sore muscles complained when he moved. His chest and neck complained of being slept on all night, the sharp leaves inside the mattress leaving puncture marks on his skin. He got to his feet, finding his red back sore, but not burning like it had been. He could move his arms and shoulder without pain, silently blessing Leikele for using that oil that had cooled his burn.

Walking out of the hut, Obi-Wan saw the village already buzzing with life. Women were preparing foods to eat while the men either talked amongst themselves or assessed the work the needed to be completed during the day. In front of Koukalaka?s hut, Obi-Wan saw Wilikinia and Leikele cutting open some fruits and arranging them on the broad green leaves that were so numerous around the village. Leikele looked up from her work, smiling warmly. ?Aloha kakahiaka. Does your back feel better??

?It?s still a little sore, but it doesn?t burn,? he admitted. He watched as Leikele grabbed another of the large green fruits, taking a small rock and hitting it in a certain patch of the tough skin, the thick green outer layer falling off easily, exposing the hairy brown fruit inside it. She set the fruit down, then went around the side of the hut, coming back a second later with Obi-Wan?s clothes, neatly folded.

?Makuahine Alekona washed them, so they are clean.? She handed them to Obi-Wan, seeing the relief spill over the man?s face. Obi-Wan took the clothes gladly, happy to be rid of the sarong skirt they had provided for him. He saw Leikele raise an eyebrow. ?What is it?? she asked, half smiling. ?You do not like your palekoki?? she said, eyeing the skirt he wore.

?It?s not that I don?t like it,? he lied,? but I just feel more comfortable in my own clothes.?

Leikele continued to smile, shaking her head in amusement. ?Well then, if you don?t like the way we dress, go ahead and change inside. The hut?s empty, so don?t worry.?

Obi-Wan nodded his head in thanks, then went inside the hut, going behind some of the cloth dividers. He enthusiastically got rid of the skirt and donned his trousers and tunic once more, wincing slightly as he had to raise his arms to get the tunic over his head. He sighed in relief as he picked up the cloth skirt and folded it as neat as he could, glad to be rid of it. He walked back outside of the hut, Leikele trading the folded cloth in his hands for a strange pink fruit. ?Eat,? she commanded.

Obi-Wan eyed the fruit, then took a small bit. It was tangy yet sweet, the Jedi taking a few more bites. Once he had finished, Leikele and Wilikinia led him over to the construction site, some of the men and women already gathered. Kali, the construction overseer, began instructing the crowd on what was to be performed.

?He says ?today, we need to secure fastening, put up walls and roof.? Easier work than yesterday,? Leikele translated, moving to join the women once the group broke up and started on their tasks. Koukalaka joined Obi-Wan soon, the two men heading over to where the women had cut dried twigs into the same length, Koukalaka handing Obi-Wan some hand woven rope. ?We must fasten branches together in bundles. One at each end, see?? He showed Obi-Wan the size of the bundle needed, taking part of the rope and lashing it around one end, then knotting it off, going to the other end of the bushel and doing the same. Obi-Wan nodded his head, then started working on his own bushel of twigs, beginning to lay them out and fasten the ends.

After a few hours of tying robe around the bushels, Koukalaka and Obi-Wan had used up all the twigs. A large pile of the bushels lay off to the side, Obi-Wan turning to survey the work that had been accomplished on his hut. The frame was completed, the men taking a long row of cut and lashed together hollow branches and fastening them to the frame as walls. Koukalaka nodded at the wood they were using. ?Wood from nui tree. Sturdy even after we carve out insides. Insides soft and good to make medicines out of.?

2. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I hope we find out soon enough ;)

3. OBI_JEDI

OBI_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    ah a post. Most grateful I am.

*bows*

Poor Obi. He has no idea what anything is.

4. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    You will, don't worry. ;)

Mahalo both of you!

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    *Kitara glares at her sunburned shoulders** Oh Obi-Wan, could you come over here and do me a little favor?? ;)

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Kitara ~ LOL!! [face_laugh] We all wish...

7. OBI_JEDI

Oct 15, 2001
    Obi pick me pick me.

*obi walks over and begins to rub OJ's shoulder*

ah so relaxing.

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    push this back up until I can get a post out...

9. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    Yay! You posted!
    That was great!!!

10. OBI_JEDI

Oct 15, 2001
    up to the top where this thread belongs.

11. OBI_JEDI

Oct 15, 2001
  12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks, guys. Sorry posts haven't been coming out as numerous as before, but I'm kinda in a stress-pinch. My dad has enflamed one of the disks in his vertebrae, so while my mom is in oregon all week, I'm his cane/crutch/maid/cook/driver/at-home physical therapist/and pretty much personal slave. :( I'll try to get something going soon.

Sorry again for the wait!

13. snowbee-wan kenobi

Jan 28, 2000
    Hey no problem Miana....
    Hope everything calms down soon and we'll be waiting here whenever you get a chance to post! :)

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    :) Thanks, Snowbee.

15. OBI_JEDI

Oct 15, 2001
    up up up.

A post soon pppplllleeeeaaaasssseee

16. Jacinta_Kenobi

Jacinta_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Just caught up. I think we better have a post, or Pele may get mad and just have to destroy the island and your story with it!

[face_devil]

*Jacinta suddenly realizes something. If the island is gone, Obi-Wan will be gone with it, and Miana's story will have to end. Runs off into the sunset*

NO, NO! HOLD THE LAVA!
    Remember, think Obi-Wan!!

- Jaci

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL, Jacinta...

I'm working on the post, don't worry. It's more than halfway done, so expect it really soon!

He he he... let's just say, if you try to pronounce some of the Hawaiian stuff I write out loud, you're gonna have fun with the fish... :D (You'll see what I mean...) ;)

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Hope this is enough of a post for you, Jacinta. ;)

~~~~~~
    Obi-Wan watched as the last tendrils of the sun?s rays crept behind the lush mountains, leaving trails of pink and purple in the numerous clouds. The village had been alive all day, preparing for this lu?au that Obi-Wan kept hearing so much about. Earlier that day, a group of the hunters had gone out into the surrounding tropical forest, returning an hour later with a dead pig on their shoulders. Once the men skin and gutted the beast, they placed it in what Koukalaka had called an imu, a large pit with flaming hot rocks at the bottom. They wrapped the pua?a, as they called the animal, in mai?a leaves, large green leaves from the trees that the strange yellow fruit grew on. Once wrapped, they placed the pua?a in the pit, covering it with layers of more mai?a leaves.

Later on, he saw a group of older women fill bushels full of large plant roots, taking them to the river and cleaning them before coming back to the village and grinding them up into the strange paste Obi-Wan had tasted when he first arrived.

A group of boys had gone out into the water, armed with wooden spears. They had returned later with a large basket full of strange looking fish with long, green, square doral fins running along their back. A group of older boys came back in with large smiles on their faces, a large, strange looking fish on their shoulders. Obi-Wan had asked what it was, almost regretting it after Koukalaka had explained that it was a humuhumunukunukuapuaa. A few more came in with some eel looking creatures, Koukalaka calling them puhi.

Obi-Wan had tried to stay out of the way of those preparing for the lu?au, busy asking Koukalaka what everything was. He saw Leikele not leaving her brother Pila?s side as if she feared he would disappear if she did.

Obi-Wan watched the last of the sun?s rays sink behind the hills, sensing Leikele coming up to his hut. He eyed her as she approached, looking over her strange apparel. The leaf wreath, anklets and bracelets were present once again, her skirt not cloth but made of the large mai?a leaves. Her sarong top was dyed red, wrapping around her back, then crossing over at the front, tying up in a knot that rested behind her throat. Around her neck was a large flowered necklace, a lei as they had called them.

Once Obi-Wan had finished looking at her chosen wardrobe, he noted the folded blue material in her hands, and extra leaf leis around her arm. ?What are these for?? he asked.

?You. It is customary for you to dress like us at a lu?au.?

Obi-Wan eyed her skeptically. ?In a skirt??

Leikele rolled her eyes. ?Yes, in a palekoki. Now hurry up and change.? She placed the cloth in his hands, walking out of the hut and pulling down the cloth door flap, Obi-Wan sensing her waiting just outside the door. Groaning, he undressed and put the blue material around his waist, remembering how Koukalaka had shown him to wrap and tie it. Once he was sure the material was secured tightly, he called Leikele back in. He saw her eye him quickly, lightly shaking her head to bring her thoughts back to her. She took one of the leis off of her arm, Obi-Wan seeing it to be a string of the hard nuts she used to make the sunburn-relieving oil out of. She draped them around his neck, taking the rest of the leaf decorations off of her arm. ?Ankles and wrists,? she explained, pointing to her own leaves.

Obi-Wan nodded, slipping two of the leaf anklets onto his wrist, then bending down and putting the remaining two around his ankles. He looked himself over, then looked at Leikele. ?I look ridiculous.?

Leikele held in a laugh. ?I?ll admit, you do,? she said, seeing his cross face. ?But it?s custom. Now come. The lu?au is about to start.? She grabbed Obi-Wan?s wrist and pulled him out of the hut, heading toward the large opening where the rest of the village was gathering. Obi-Wan saw the others

19. snowbee-wan kenobi

Jan 28, 2000
    Wow that was great Miana!
    I loved the dance scene....

20. Jacinta_Kenobi

Jacinta_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    YAAAAY!!! POSTIE POSTIE POSTIE!!!!

*dances around*

Ok, yes, I'm happy now.
    Jaci

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL, both of you...

So, did anyone actually try to pronounce humuhumunukunukuapuaa? ;) :p

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The name of that cute little fishie was one of the first hawaiian words I learned to pronounce . I think I was 10 when I learned it :) (cousins live on Oahu) I loved the idea of Obi-Wan trying to learn hula :D

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    :) I think the hardest thing I had to pronounce had something with i'ii at the end... My sister couldn't say likelike (lee-key lee-key) :p

24. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Hula Obi Hula :) envisioning :) Obi Hula Obi

25. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Just found this, Miana...really good! :) You write Obi-Wan very well indeed! *grin* I can just picture him...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.