main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ok.. *deep breath* is RotS going to suck?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by zap2012, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zap2012

zap2012 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    ok...

Now, before i get accused of being an idiot, i just want to say that i enjoyed both TPM and AotC, although the latter infinitely more so. i think that AotC, if i'm in the right mood, might be better than RotJ. But, i always have to defend that opinion, and let's not even bring up what i have to do when i say that i enjoy TPM on certain levels.

Now, a friend of mine, someone who loves star wars just as much as i do, has got me worried about RotS. his opinion is that GL has gone crazy. I don't know if i agree, but, still, his criticisms are valid. With the news that there's going to be something like "an elaborate musical number," in RotS (do we remember the RotJ SE debacle?) i'm all freaked out that this is going to be a huge disappointment. It doesn't look like it will be, but, then, even TPM looked awesome in the trailers...

what are your opinions? personally speaking, i'm anxious. i'm excited, but i'm afraid that the thing is just going to blow. if that happens, i fear for the health of my soul. What do you guys think?

andy

2. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    My guess is that ROTS will be the best of the prequels, maybe even close to the OT. But if you thought TPM and AOTC sucked, you probably won't like ROTS, either. I don't say that because of anything specific I know about the movie, but a lot of PT haters still have this weird hope that Lucas was just phoning in the PT until now, and that ROTS is the one that he really cares about - that he really wants to get right. Like them or not, I think the prequels are the movies Lucas wanted to make, and if you don't like them for whatever reason - justified or not - then Star Wars just isn't for you anymore.

Will it suck? No. Is it going to redeem the whole PT for bashers? I doubt it.

3. zap2012

zap2012 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    i'm definitely not a basher. the PT needs no redeeming in my view. I'm just curious how everyone is feeling about the whole thing...

andy

4. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think it will be the best prequel, though I would put my money on there being some cringe-worthy scenes and some awkward moments of bad film making. Yes, the musical number you noted above definitely worries me, as the musical numbers in ROTJ were horrible and no need to go back there. The cool vibe of the cantina in ANH has never been successfully replicated in any of the following films, he ought to just give up on that aspect of things.

It will be like the other prequels...imperfect but wonderful, and I'll still love it.

5. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I wasn't referring to you as a basher, zap, just speaking in general. But do you have any basis for your fears that ROTS will disappoint other than the "elaborate musical number"? Because the number will be mostly in the background of what should be a pretty serious meeting between Anakin and Palpatine. I can't imagine it will be anywhere close to Jedi Rocks on the cringe meter.

6. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    From what I know, it is definitely going to be the best of the prequels and it might surprise a few people, and like hew said that musucal number is just in the background and won't even come close to ROTJ's [face_sick]

7. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I really have no idea as to whether "Revenge of the Sith" is going to be a good movie or not. However, as others have already stated, if you disliked the first two prequels, I think you can safely say that it is doubtful that you will enjoy this entry.

Some people have already begun to hate and bash the third film, which I find very amusing for reasons that I won't get into here, whereas others have prematurely championed the picture as a masterpiece - a matter that is almost equally ridiculous. I have enjoyed the prequels thus far, which puts me squarely in the minority, and would venture so far as to suggest that "Attack of the Clones" ranks at the very least amongst the top three "Star Wars" pictures, if not higher; as one magazine that listed the film as one of the twenty-five greatest sequels ever made (no, that isn't a joke) stated, "['Clones'] surely outdoes 'Return of the Jedi' without breaking a sweat." Films are often very personal; how we respond to those that we like or dislike can transcend the parameters of abstract criticism. "Sith" might be terrible and it might be great; I try to approach films with an open mind, devoid of extraneous emotive predisposition.

8. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    "Good...Tyranus_the_Hut...good"

"Your wisdom has made you POWERFUL. Give in to your wisdom and your journey to the good side will be complete!"
    I try to do the same thing, Tyranus, but I have to admit I am biased when it comes to Star Wars...

Basher:"Are you afraid ROTS will suck?"
    Me:No!
    Basher:"You WILL BE...YOU WILL BE...

(Not saying your the basher, zap2012, no one in particular, just kidding around...)

Sorry. Just had a burst of quotes pop in my head (believe me, anything that pops in my head is a plus). I feel that it will be good. Just a positive feeling about it. I've enjoyed the PT thus far as well and am looking forward to ROTS.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    With the news that there's going to be something like "an elaborate musical number," in RotS

... Sithspawn. It better be extremely insignificant and easy to ignore in the background, then. :p

Do the prequels have problems? Oh, hell yes, as I know I've said numerous times before. But I think a lot of the way one perceives RotS is going to be in the mindset with which one receives it. People who walk into the theater expecting it to suck will primarily notice the bad points, and people who expect it to be good will focus on those. Hence both the bashers and the gushers will get fuel on their fire. Self-fulfilling prophesies.

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "Self-fulfilling prophecies". Just so.

From everything I've seen and heard, I can tell you that it will undoubtedly be the best of the prequels and may approach the OT.

Josh Griffin (TFN) told me, based on what he's seen and heard, he ranks ROTS behind only ESB, and ROTS is darker than ESB.

I have a feeling that the few cringe-worthy moments will be trampled by the unbelievable moments.

This has been described as an emotional roller-coaster.

Rick McCallum has recently said he believes ROTS will get a PG-13 rating.

Remember, this IS the movie that Lucas has wanted to do since ANH.

11. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I have enjoyed the prequels thus far, which puts me squarely in the minority

I wouldn't say that. It might seem that way some days, but as far as the internet is concerned, whining is louder than admiration.

The prequels have been great (sure, they've had their iffy moments of dialogue etc, but so does the OT), and ridiculous as it is, I'd put money on RotS being a masterpiece, yes.

Revenge of the Sith will be the movie that redefines Star Wars for two generations of fans. [face_mischief]

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    (In reference to GARTH's post:)
    It's also likely that Lucas worked out the story for this episode first(out of the prequels), so that he then could make TPM and AOTC lead into it. Afterall, he has to adapt to ANH's storyline.
    That's kind of cool, isn't it? From a filmmaking point of view, the saga revolves around ANH.

I will walk into the theater expecting ROTS to be a great movie, because all Star Wars movies are. I will not expect it to be perfect, because no Star Wars movie is. I will accept it's minor flaws, because in reality, they will have nothing to do with the quality of the picture. Just like all the other episodes.
    ROTS will take me on a hell of a ride and that's all that matters.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I enjoy all five Episodes equally and I hope I will soon be able that I love every part of the Saga equally. I am really scared of not liking ROTS as much as I like the previously released chapters.

14. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Here is the thing with me.

Ever since the prequels were announced Ep.III is the one I was looking forward to the most. I felt it had the most potential out of any Star Wars film and I still feel that way.

My expectations for this film have been high for the past 10 years, and I try not to overhype it, but that is very hard to do.

I hope the film is dark, ala ESB and I hope the story is more focused on the main characters. I feel that the prequels have focued on so much whereas the OT was very centered on the main 5 characters. I realize that the Prequels had more to tell thus focusing on so much more, but I hope for this episode they can focus on the few main characters.

15. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    In my opinion (and I'm actually being serious here on this) I think part of the reason the PT has been just a tad bit below the OT is...NO EMPIRE!!!! The sense of drama just isn't the same without the big baddies ruling the galaxy. The stakes are lower, the odds not as bad. In the OT the good guys were underdogs, in the PT the good guys and bad guys are mixed up and confused.

So, with the Empire once again taking their rightful place at the helm of the galaxy, all will be right in the GFFA and ROTS will be an evil masterpiece.

16. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I think you make a good point, stormcloud. The war in the OT is emotionally appealing, because it's a fight for freedom.
    The Clone War, on the other hand, is strictly political. It's not emotionally interesting like the Civil War. It's visually appealing.

/LM

17. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    With the news that there's going to be something like "an elaborate musical number,"

:confused:

I don't know what you mean by that, but I do know that, FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, Lucas wants the visuals and sound to tell the story(Not the dialogue or acting).

18. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I like all 5 movies but I think ROTS will be the greatest of all of them.

19. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I'm with you there. ROTS will probably be the dramatic highpoint of the saga.
    Quite strange, since it's in the middle, but that's the way the story goes, so what can you do?

/LM

20. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    AOTC has a 64% approval rate on Rotten Tomatoes, so we aren't in the minority for liking it, among movie critics anyway.

I have absolutely no doubt this movie will rule. And it's because I feel like I've been involved in some small part of it. Since before principal photography I've been reading and watching everything that's come out of the OS and Hyperspace... from the webcam to the set diaries and every webdoc. I feel a part of it, and in my mind, it will probably be the best SW movie because of that. And I haven't been dissapointed by anything so far, in fact I only get more and more excited.

21. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    But I think that's a trap. Photos and written descriptions can't convey wooden delivery of lines, or bad editing. That's why I'm reserving judgment. But I am optimistic it will be the best prequel. And hopeful that Star Wars will go out on a positive note with the general public.

22. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    But that's not my point. The point is the overall experience. Sure they've been feeding us nothing but the opening space battle... I don't care. Just the fact that they've been feeding us stuff for over a year a half now, more so than any movie ever, is what I'm talking about.

No, we don't know much about something like dialog (though we've heard reports that it's pretty good) from these updates. Just a general sense of what the feeling and atmosphere is like, and how hard everyone is working. We hear reports of everyone freaking out at how amazing Vader looked when he first came on set, and see the finished ILM shots of Jedi starfighters above Coruscant, and then read quotes from Nick Gilliard saying that Hayden is the best swordsman he's ever seen. THAT's why I'm confident.

23. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    (don't tell anyone...but I agree with you. I'm just trying to stir up some debate...)

24. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
  25. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    If you like TPM and AOTC why would ROTS sucking even cross your mind? I'm confused.

!snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.