Sac, CA OK going out on a limb here. Did anyone else think Kendobi was kind of a hard ass on Anakin?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Lord_Darth_Vader, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I mean what ever Anakin did. Good or bad, Kenobi was there to criticize. When Anakin was having dreams of his mother, Kenobi could have been more compasionate with him, but he wasn't.

Anyone else? Or are my meds just talking for me? ;)

See? [best Yoda voice] Lots to talk about we do, come the 25th. [/best Yoda voice]
  2. fn_clone Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay, I'm going to try and make this quick here since I'm working on a term paper that is due tomorrow.

Basically, it's a hard knock life for a jedi.

Yes, it would of been nice if Kenobi was more compassionate to Anakin, but a jedi must not allow any of his personal feelings or emotions get in the way of what must be done. I think Kenobi was just trying to train Anakin into that way of thinking. It's kinda like in ESB, when Yoda doesn't want Luke to go to Bespin even though Luke knows his friends lifes are in danger.

I know there is a lot more to it, but I just dont have the time to get into it too deeply, but I think I laid down the basics.
  3. sacul-1138 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I always had the thought Kenobi would be pissed about getting stuck with Anakin.

Obi's a party guy and saw a cool life of adventure ahead of him...until he got saddled with the "chosen one"

Actually I wish Obi wan had been around Anakin more, so we could see them in action.

4. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL @ sacul - oh yeah Obi was the party guy. Just what the hell was that drink he ordered?

Yeah, it would have been nice to see them together more. Oh Well.

5. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, I totally agree. I think he had come to the point in their relationship and Anakin's training that it was "time to clamp down" on his behavior though. I don't think ObiWan was always tough on them. George did throw us a few lines where they remembered some good ole days too.

(I love the 'you will go home and rethink your life' lines)
  6. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah but what bugs me is Obi was hard on Anakin but........ In ANH Old Ben said "he was the best Star Fighter in the Galaxy, and he was a good friend." Hmmmmmm juat don't see so far.
  7. fn_clone Jedi Knight

star 3
    There is the 10 odd years that Kenobi has been training Anakin, and I bet in those 10 years they built a great relationship which is why Old Ben says that they were good friends in ANH. In AOTC, we only see their relationship at that current time. Anakin sees that he is on the way to becoming one of the greatest jedis and starts to get a little "prideful" because of it. Kenobi sees this and starts to be more of a hard ass just to keep Anakin in his place. So basically, they probably had a great relationship for the most part, but in AOTC, we're seeing the initial change between them.

um, yeah, I hope that makes some sense.
  8. Jeremyguy Jedi Master

star 4
    That's pretty much my impression. I think they're very close, but Anakin has a history of acting up and Obi Wan always has to put his foot down. Also, Anakin's still a teenager (isn't he?), so they're bound to have parent/teen-type clashes.
  9. Sac-Town-Knight Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think Qui-Gon would have been able to do a better job than Obi-Wan has done in controlling and training Anakin. Pause...Damn I sound like a SW freak, therorizing about an alternate storyline. Oh yea, I am a SW freak!Resume Don't get me wrong, Obi-Wan is a great Jedi, but I think he doesn't have the experience that he would have gained if not burdened with a bastard child. [face_laugh] He has been teaching Anakin "on the fly" and learning to be a Jedi Knight/Master at the same time. Kind of like a highschool girl who has a child, in which the daddy has left, but she is strongly dedicated to do the best she can for her child, while at the same time she is attending an Ivy League College. (whew...what a run on sentence) Obi has done the best he could (out of obligation. I think with time/experience, he would have been a great Master
  10. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just keep thinking back on the line Anakin has "he's like a father to me". So you know they have a strong relationship, but like every parent, Obi isn't perfect and they are gonna argue a lot. There were times when I loved their relationship..and others when I just wanted to smack Anakin upside the head.
  11. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Interesting analysis there Sac Town. I agree, Obi Wan was barely Jedi when he took on the role of teacher.
  12. FluukeStarbucker Jedi Padawan

I would have to say that Tionne's opinion on this issue mirrors mine. What is most apparent is the fear and the anger that is brewing within Anakin. He is impatient and the only one that tells him that he is patient and boosters Anakin's psyche is...???
    I dont' think I have to say it and if you don't know, you haven't been paying attention. He he he. I believe Obi Wan is keeping his promise to Qui Gon and at the same time, aware of the danger that can come about from Anakin. He is mindful of the initial decision by the Jedi Council to not train Anakin as a Jedi. Obi Wan has this tremendous burden and he sees Anakin's flaws more than anyone else. Thus, I would say it is fair of his being so stern towards Anakin. They're Jedi for Yoda's sake. This is the Marines of the galaxy.
  13. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The few. The proud. The Jedi.

Their more explosive scenes make it hard to see how close they are, but I agree. The lines were there to show they care.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.