main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ok I think I finally am beginning to understand how some of you EU fans feel about this reboot

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darkchrono, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I never really got into the EU so the news of the reboot didn't bring any hard feelings from me and if anything got me a little more excited because I felt finally I can start from the beginning if I did choose to get into the reboot and not have to worry about the dozens of books that came before.

But now that I have started getting into The Walking Dead comic book universe (which is much more vast than just the tv show) I have started to read not only the comics but also the novels that go along with it. To me the characters in the novels are just as important and interestingas the characters in the comic and Rick's group. If one day they ever did decide to reboot the whole comic series EU I am not sure I would technically get upset about it but it would be a little more difficult for me to get into the new stuff and act like all those stories before never happened.

Of course Robert Kirkman plays a much stronger role in the TWD EU than Lucas ever did in the Star Wars EU (Kirkman's name is right on the front cover along with the author of the book) so as long as Kirkman is at the helm the chances of their being a reboot are very very slim.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Robert Kirkman plays such a strong role in the TWD EU that he has no problem needlessly overwriting other people's stories, just like Lucas!

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  3. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Yes however though since he does play such a large role in it I think the stories are just as much his as they are the authors. I'm not entirely certain but I would imagine he lays down all the plot points and character types that he wants told and the author creates a story from that. Where as Lucas likely didn't even know about 95% of the Star Wars EU.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah whatever the eu's mistakes, it is very important in filling in the story. Now that i have Shadows of the Empire in my canon, i can't relate to the transition of Luke from episode 5 to 6 without it.

Dawud786 and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    TWD has EU?

6. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Yeah not a very large one as of yet though. Have three novels out (actually four since the third one is split in two). "Rise of the Governor", "Road to Woodbury" and "Fall of the Governor" part 1 and 2. They just commisioned four more novels with the next one to be released in October.

I have just read "Rise of the Governor" and "Road to Woodbury" (will probably take a little break before I start on the next one). Also all the novels take place in the comic universe not the tv show universe.

7. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    The problem with the SW-reboot is, that nobody seems to really know, what is and what is not part of the official universe, what really happened to our favourite heroes and what is Legends. Its becoming like the tales of Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table: We have a number of names, characteristics associated with those names, but so many different versions of events, that we don't know, which is the "true" one. It would have been better, if the reboot had been a clear cut, but I guess there was too much material tempting TPTB to keep it, instead of throwing it out.

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I think you can make a safe bet that the stuff out of del ray, marvel, and television will be canon. Not sure if they have any video games (aside from that lego stuff) on the table yet.

9. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    There's a confirmed new Battlefront game.

JediMatteus likes this.
  10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The Telltale games are also supposed to be in-continuity with the comic. Which led to...

The first Telltale game was supposed to provide the backstory to a character from the comic. But then Kirkman decided to give her a different backstory in one of his books so Telltale then basically said "Oops, uh, we never actually said it was supposed to be the same character, it's just coincidence they have the same name and appearance!"

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm under the impression the games will be canon, too.

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    So George Lucas isn't the only terribly fickle creator.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  13. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Regardless of rather or not TellTale intended it to tell Lilly's backstory it really worked out because Lilly plays a rather minor role in that game. The video game is really Clementine's story.

I havn't gotten to the point in the comic where Lilly is introduced if she is indeed the character you are referring to.

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Good to know that screentime is what determines whether or not it's fine to arbitrarily overrwrite stuff that's supposed to be a cohesive continuity.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  15. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Well also given the fact that "The Road to Woodbury" and the first TWD video game came out about the same time I think it should have been up to TellTale to get intouch with Kirkman over what he wanted to do with Lilly's backstory. If the game had come out years before The Road to Woodbury did then that might be a different story but they were released within months of each other.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I guess that's why they called it "Legends".

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    The difference seems to be, that Lucas lets somebody expand the material, doesn't bother to read/view it himself and then also expands the material with something contradicting the already existing stuff. That wouldn't have been a problem, if he had said, that only his stuff matters or that there is no overall continuity at all. Unfortunately for close to thirty years we were sold SW-stuff - and bought it - because of the promise, that it is part of the universe, the continued and expaned story of Luke Skywalker and Co..

That seems to be different from Kirkmen, who keeps himself involved in the output of new material, saying from the beginning: "that goes" and "that doesn't". In other words, he seems "to bother".

18. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Yes, and we'd like to know, what isn't "Legends", so we know, which stuff to pick and which to ignore.

19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I wish people would stop repeating this, because it's just not true. Lucas has stated his feelings that the EU is not "his" universe at least since the PT came out.

Darth Rycbar and Riv_Shiel like this.
  20. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    He did, but there were also statements that implied that they were canon, but he didn't care about what happened in them. Also, Lucas Licensing gave off a strong indication that the EU was canon. Honestly, there's enough contradictory statements out there that makes it possible to hold either interpretation and people will pick the one the fits their biases.

Dawud786, Darth_Henning and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    But his underlings at LucasLicensing did until the reboot. Or do you think anybody would have read "The New Rebellion" or "The Crystal Star" otherwise? And until TCW GL didn't mess to much with the EU.

22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I agree that there were certainly statements in that direction (though really, the "canon tiers" system should always have been taken as an indication that the EU was less important). I just object to all of the complaints about how Lucas "betrayed" the EU or whatever, because he's never really supported it as the future of Star Wars. He is indeed a fickle creator in many ways, but this isn't one of them.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I first realized what this all meant when I visited Wookieepedia for the first time in a while, and noticed the new "Legends" and "Canon" tabs. Looking up a subject like say Wedge Antilles, I was totally underwhelmed by the information under "Canon", basically stuff we can all figure out by watching the movie. I used to use Wookieepedia to learn backstories I wouldn't otherwise have been aware of, but now it's become truly evident that the Star Wars galaxy has gotten a lot smaller. Indeed, it's really always been this small.

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Can you provide a source stating that Telltale didn't do this? Because as someone who followed the development of the game since it was announced (which, by the way, was a year and a half before that book came out) both Telltale and Kirkman said from the start he was involved with supervising and giving the OK to the game.

25. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Everyone knew that the EU was less important, we just didn't view that as noncanon.

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.