main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ok I think I finally am beginning to understand how some of you EU fans feel about this reboot

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darkchrono, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

To be honest I think the majority of all the Disney hate is just coming from a few fans running their mouths off. I would bet if we were able to put all the hate posts together in one thread we would find that probably only about five posters or so are the ones making the majority of those posts. Of course there are other forums as well where people are doing the exact same thing but just like in this one it is probably just a few people posting over and over and over again about it.

In other words I don't really think the Disney hate is nearly as widespread as the few who are complaining try to make you think. It is just the fact that the few who are royally ticked off about it have the ability to make hundreds of posts about their displeasure and that can make it appear that those opinions are spread far and wide amongst the fan base. If anything I think the majority of Star Wars fans are excited about the Disney purchase and the reboot of the EU (for those that have an interest in the EU).

BigAl6ft6 and Taalcon like this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    LFL had already been slowly killing my interest starting with the DNT, but throwing everything out is even worse in my opinion.

3. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

So Disney tries to save some of the bright points of the EU. The people who liked the Thrawn trilogy are happy while the people who didn't like the Thrawn trilogy think it sucks.

People who liked the old republic era are happy while the people who didn't like the old republic era think it sucks.

People who liked the njo are happy while people who didn't like the njo think it sucks.

And what we end up with is just a big royal mess.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Though I think it's fairly clear that all of those are less universally hated then the "Denningverse".

Abadacus likes this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm mostly bummed about Ruins of Dantooine.

Riv_Shiel, blackmyron and _Catherine_ like this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Fan reactions have a wide range but no reaction is more valid than the next and people margiligning others' feelings isn't making a tough situation any easier.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are not throwing the old EU away, like the northern gods of old so have they slain the giant it hade become and is now using its body parts to create a new cosmos.

Valin__Kenobi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    To some it may equal the same thing.

LelalMekha and Zeta1127 like this.
  9. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Yes I realize how invested some people were in the EU and they spent a lot of money on it. But what it has been almost two years since Disney bought Star Wars (in which we all had a good idea the EU was going to get canned) and almost six months since the reboot was made official. I think EU fans have had plenty of time to get over it and move on.

10. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

I'm basically exactly the same. I was everything Star Wars for about a decade than my interest waned. Now it's back with a vengeance. I was so excited to get A New Dawn in the mail yesterday.

kubricklynch likes this.
  11. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

I still enjoy the Old Republic/Tales of the Jedi era stuff, even though I know 95% of it is likely going to become obselete in regards to the new timelines/canon. It's the only LEGENDS material I'm at all interested in getting caught up on. Because I think the process of working out some of those ideas and stories are interesting. They are great 'what if' stories, and I enjoy them as that. I finished up TOTJ (Redemption), and then read JJM's Knights of the Old Republic. I even purchased and downloaded the original KOTOR game through Steam and have begun playing it. I like it. It's fun. I'm perfectly okay with its stories being set aside for another version of stories in the ancient republic past.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If they decided to wrap things up anyway then maybe people could move on. They didn't.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    @darkchrono: Grieving and acceptance doesn't have a time limit, all are different. It's wonderful you seem fine with everything but some are having a rough time, it's not wrong.

14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    It's not even about "grieving" periods for me. We're here to discuss books (and the events around them) most of which are years or even decades old, and we all still get happy or sad or pissed about them. If people still discuss how irritated they are at what a Mary Sue Corran or Thrawn or Mara Jade (all nineties) is, or at how the post-NJO (2000s) was completely botched, or how sad they are about... that sad moment in Iron Fist (how do you do spoiler tags on this thing?) why is it surprising that some people are still bent out of shape over a canon ruling that came out... earlier this year? (I've met people who still get nerd rage over the invention of Ewoks. For ROTJ. In 1983).

Yeah, I'm pissed that the EU slate was wiped clean. Probably always will be. I'm still pissed that Firefly was canceled, too. It's not a life-defining thing. I don't spend my days and nights tracking down Hidalgo or Lucas rehearsing the words "hello. My name is Ackbar's Fishsticks. You killed the EU. Prepare to die." But I'm not sure why there should be a statute of limitations on being pissed and/or saying so (including, if that's your thing, to LFL), either.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It's not for me either. But some probably are grieving and some are implying that's an over reaction. Without understanding the bond a poster has to a Saga I don't think others should tell them to 'get over it'. I'm grieving Peter and he's dead 20 years. Only been aware of him as a person for 7. I have reason to still be grieving that hardly any understand. All I'm saying is some are grieving the EU and it's okay.

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well my friend this is why: We were beginning to come to grips with the EU's death. I even thought well, hey maybe they will do better this time, maybe they can right all the wrongs.I do think the nu novels look good, but the st is not honoring the eu to me, in what i have seen thus far, from the rumors i have seen

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    For some it's more regarding how they percieve the handling of material/characters/essence rather than just the fact EU has been invalidated. There was much in EU I didn't like and much I did. This reboot has potential I'm just not certain it holds any for me and some older fans may feel similarly. I'm wary that the Mouse's intention will likely fall flat within the first few years if not before. Plus, as others have said it's very likely what's done now will be rewritten as well. I do not hold anything in SW in stone but will continue liking what speaks to me.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  18. Ra Harmakis

Ra Harmakis Jedi Knight

Feb 13, 2013
    I think that it's not simply an issue of timing. It's one of how they read or experience the Star Wars Universe.

To Many, the stories we read and watch took on an almost Biblical Aura. If it was written So it was, and woe be the one to contradict it. There is a Faith that comes along with how they view the stories, and it is almost impossible to change ones Faith. The Stories were treated as the absolute truth (liked or hated), and any ideas or story that don't fit must therefore be wrong.

To others (I try to fall in this group) the stories were read more as histories (they took place A Long Time Ago, after all), and as anyone who has read really old History Texts, our knowledge of Histories change over time. So to with the stories and characters of the Star Wars Universe. If they changed over time, its because those studying the history of the SW Universe (The Authors rather than real life scholars and archeologists in real history) made new discoveries that add to the collective knowledge, or change the way a previous bit of knowledge (story) was viewed. In this way, if an idea or story does not fit, it's not wrong, it's just either not understood fully, or it simply needs another story (missing link) to say how it got there.

So that is how I choose to experience the Universes, as a history rather than as a truth.

19. Darth Rycbar

Darth Rycbar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2014
    Here's an idea: read them. If you enjoyed them before, then why wouldn't you now? I still read them. Whether or not they're canon doesn't affect my enjoyment of them at all.

Joe Kalicki likes this.
  20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem isn't necessarily the enjoyment of the books themselves, the problem is the fact that they won't really have continued influence on the story going forward, because they aren't a part of the story going forward, even stuff directly tied into the films like Labyrinth of Evil and Shadows of the Empire.

21. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Well you know if some of you feel so disenfranchised by Star Wars now and aren't willing to give the new canon much of a chance perhaps it is time for you to find some other franchise to get involved/invested in.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Um...why are you telling total strangers what to do?

Riv_Shiel and JediMatteus like this.
  23. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I'm not telling them what to do. I was just saying that if they don't feel like giving Star Wars much of a chance anymore perhaps it would be better to go find something else that they like instead of pining over the lost EU. Best way to get over something is to find something else.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK. How is what they are "pining over" any of your business?

25. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

If they choose to bring up their problems with the new Star Wars continuously on the main board then it is perfectly fine for people to respond to it with their own opinions about what they are doing. If they don't want people to read it and respond to it then they should talk about that stuff through the personal messaging system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.