main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Ok, let's get this party started: FF trip to the Rennaissance Festival

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Ok, we've talked about this before, let's make it happen. The Ren. Faire runs through the weekend of March 24th. So whatever we do it will have to be before then. Costumes are encouraged, though I tend to agree with aztrooper that let's not upset the medieval thing they've got going on.

The Az Ren. Faire website is located here. Check out ticket prices and map info. If we get a bunch of people we can probably get some kind of group discount on tickets.

Does anyone have a preferrence for a date? Obey Wann will be here from March 3-9, so one possibility would be to go then.

Ideas? Suggestions?

India Alpha

2. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I'm pretty adaptable, be cool to go when Obey Wann can join us

3. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    I don't have a preference for when we go. I suggest if we do SW costumes we keep them outside the actual fair. We could show up an hour early and do the costume thing while we wait outside.

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    For the Faire, I would really like to include Obey Wann. I think it would be a blast to drag him along with our rag-tag band of ... are we rebels or Jedi? I know there are a few imperial-wannabes, but since the 501st already has their Garrison, what does that make us? **laugh**

Anyway, sideshow mentioned that the easiest thing for us to do would be to go as a group - meet up someplace beforehand, and then carpool in together. Apparently, there's really not a good place to meet before you go in, and the Faire itself is rather large.

SO, that would put the date as March 9th, a Saturday (Obey Wann, please say that you can come!). AND we could meet that morning - say, around 8:00 or so - at Denny's or IHOP, or someplace similar. Let's say... ummm... gosh, I really don't know. Does either one have a restaurant near Fiesta Mall? Okay...

Saturday, March 9th.
    8:00 a.m. at Denny's/IHOP/Village Inn (one of them *has* to be nearby)
    Fiesta Mall area - this is at the U.S. 60 and Alma School, right by the Mesa Atomic Comics store.

That area is going to be by far the most central location for all of us to meet to go out to the Faire. The Faire itself is in Apache Junction, and we'll be driving on the 60 to get there anyway. So, please, unless there's an even BETTER location (it's gonna be a drive for ALL of us, no matter what), plan on that, kay?

And... IA just sent me some info on group ticket discounts. So.... [singsong voice] Keeevvvviiiiinnnnnn [/singsong voice], whad'ya think about going in on tickets together? We have to have a group of 15 or more to get discounts. If you prefer, we can discuss that via e-mail, or you can post your thoughts here. Either way, lemme know!

Y'all feel like you want to oust me yet? [face_laugh] (8 a.m.!?!? What the **** is she thinking!?!?) :D

kreleia ^.^

5. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    That's a good idea, kreleia. Atomic Comics would be the most easily recognisable place, since everyone has been there already. They won't be open at 8am, but that doesn't mean we can't still meet there in the parking lot.

I really can't think of a good restaraunt in that area off the top of my head, so I'd say Atomic is our best bet. Maybe someone would want to bring donuts? ;)

India Alpha

6. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    kreleia's plan works for me. Just out of curiosity, if we are going to the fair on the 9th are we having out FF meeting on the 2nd, 3rd, or 10th. Anyone of those is fine for me.

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    The meeting would be on the 9th too. Probably in the parking lot of Atomic Comics. [face_laugh] Okay, so I'd prefer a different place - so, maybe the parking lot of the Ren Faire. (Is there a chance that we might *not* hold it in a parking lot this time? I don't know.) If all goes according to plan, then we'll do it at the Ren Faire before we actually go in (we'll be there before it opens anyway). That way, we can get done and discussed what needs to be, and then go on our merry way. And, during the day of course, questions and ideas can be thrown around and answered. We don't have to stick together - just, as we see each other, we pass along ideas and such.

Good? Yes? No?
    kreleia ^.^

8. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    Here is a radical idea. We could schedule the FF meeting to be at Atomic comics at 7:00 PM. on the 9th. That way those leaving the Faire (it ends at 6:00 PM) could just drive from Apache Junction to Atomic Comics (an hour should be plenty of time. The only problem is I think the bookstore closes at 8:00 PM. This would only leave us an hour for our meeting. True we could get the administrative stuff taken care of but that wouldn't leave a lot of time to socialize with people that you may only see once a month. Alternately, those coming from the Faire could leave at 5:00 PM (and chance missing the last Joust) and get to Atomic Comics at 6:00 PM. giving us two hours. I for one would like the meeting to last as long as possible. Let me know what you think.

9. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    That's a good idea, Quigon. I have to cast my vote for the early meeting, though. My thoughts are this: If we have the FF meeting later in the evening and someone wants or needs to leave the Ren. Faire early they'd miss the FF meeting. It's also an extra step we have to do in terms of coordinating everyone to be in the same place at the same time. Doing the meeting in the morning also has the benefit of letting everyone discuss their ideas throughout the day.

India Alpha

10. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    the early morning idea sounds better, i think. i'm kind of agreeable to everything as long as i can have my costume done by the time we go to the faire. :)

11. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

Dec 7, 2001
    If we do the FF in the morning before the fair where would it be and what time would it be. I wouldn't think it would be at the R. festival because everyone coming to the FF meeting might not want to go to the Festival. Why should they have to drive all that way? If it is not at the Festival then we need to find a place that is open at 8 or 9 (leaving those going to the festival enough time to drive to Apache Junction) and can accommodate 30 or so people. If it has to be in the morning then I will live with that. It is just an early start for those driving from the Westside.

12. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    so were back to my original idea of meeting at a diner or something near atomic so we can chow or whatever before, talk about stuff and go together... trust me, if we dont go as a group, the chances of us meeting up as were wandering aimlessly in the faire are approximately 3720 to 1 ;)

seriously though, there is nothing in front of the faire but a dirt lot with a big mob of people standing on it....
    at least meet somewhere easy to find, on the way to the faire, and preferably a place to sit down with a climate controlled atmosphere...(ala heater!) then we can all caravan together, then at the faire we can stick together if we want, or go our own way/leave early without missing anything from the meeting...
    but thats just my idea... :D

13. AZLineUp

AZLineUp Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2001
    I'm just waiting for my Scottish kilt to come in, hehe

14. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Pardon me while I interrupt this thread for a moment to fix a minor detail:

YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! Let's do this!! I'd absolutely LOVE it if we could pull together a good FF showing for the Ren Faire! We'd no doubt attract new members, and besides, Ren Faires are FUN!

YAY!!! **plants a big ol' kiss on IA's cheek** Thank you for bringing this up!!

Thanks for your patience folks. The thread may now continue.

kreleia ^.~

15. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
  16. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Ok everybody, a quick update on the Ren Faire since it's coming up here in two weeks. No word yet from Obey Wann about exactly when he'll be in town. I'll update you on that as soon as I have something.

The meeting will take place:

Saturday, March 9th. at 8:00am

Villiage Inn Restaraunt
    1155 S. Dobson Rd. in Mesa

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=1155+S+Dobson+rd&city=mesa&state=az&zipcode=&homesubmit.x=14&homesubmit.y=11
    (here's a map of the area)

This is on the North East corner of Dobson and Southern, so we can have breakfast and then hop right on US60 and head out to the Ren Faire. The Ren Faire opens at 10:00am, so we'll probably saddle up and leave the restaraunt at about 9am.

If you can't make it that early, don't worry. We'd still like to have as many people as possible at the Ren Faire. Just look for the gang of Star Wars geeks wandering around. ;)

The agenda for this meeting will mostly be about setting up regular FanForce Meetings, so bring your ideas.

Hope to see everyone there. This is going to be a blast. :D

-> IA

17. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    eccellent, i will definately be there!

18. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    The great and might Obey Wann will be there. I have to check with the even greater and mightier Mrs. OW about going to the Ren Faire, but I will definitely make the meeting.

But that'll be the earliest I've gotten up since January. Sheesh, that's early. ;)

But I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. And joining you.

BTW, I'm both a bit of a rebel, and a bit of an Imp. I have a fully functional Luke ROTJ costume (no robe or poncho), and am trying to convince my wife to make an Imperial Officer costume. I really, really want a set of armor. Ideally, I want a Clonetrooper set, but will go for a Biker Scout or a Sandtrooper.

And if anyone want's to share their extra set, I'm 5'9 and 185 lbs. ;) Once I get a job (crosses fingers), I will get a set. I'm just waiting for word from sources about the CT armor. :D

[image=http://www.thegeekhost.com/obeywann/SW/OW-DeathStar.jpg]

19. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    I'm really looking forward to this outing. Of course the 8 am on a saturday is gonna call for ALOT of coffee! ;)

20. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Bah! 8am is nothing! ;)

I'm really psyched about this event. My cloak is really looking good if I may say so, though I won't have the time or the money to get much more of a costume together. Oh well, there's still lots of time for LOTR: Two Towers. :D

-> IA

21. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    is anyone going in SW costume, or are we going "undercover"?

22. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    I think the decision was made to either go incognito or in some kind of rennaissance/medevil costume. And I tend to agree with that. I don't want to step on the atmosphere they've got going on.

-> IA

23. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    WOO HOO !!! The event at my sisters in San Diego next week got pushed to the 22nd, so I'll see you all there.

-Void

24. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    most of you probably already know this but i'll put it up here just in case...
    if you want to buy tickets to the rennasissance festival before we go(i highly recommend that you do!)
    you can get them at fry's supermarkets ...
    it's cheaper than buying them at the gate, and it will save us all alot of time when we get there, as we won't have to wait in line to buy tickets, we can just walk in!

25. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    Thanks for the reminder sideshow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.