main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST OK, let's talk about that BLUE lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lance Toris, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Building your own lightsaber is a right of passage and a skill level, was shown on Illum in TCW.

Canyon D likes this.
  2. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    I think it was given back to Luke and Luke first gave it to Ben. Did you hear him say "That belongs to ME!" right before the battle with Rey?

Then of course when he turned the Saber went back to Luke who in despair gave to to Maz.

Anleifr likes this.
  3. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
  4. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013

I don't think your reading is as obvious as you seem to think. While possible, it is also just as plausible that Ren recognized it from family history (or perhaps felt the same pull Rey did) and felt it was his right to own it as Anakin's grandson. I don't necessarily he ever owned it before.

In any event, I hope the saber stays with Rey and Luke's ROTJ saber is still in his possession.

Elle-Wan and Anleifr like this.
  5. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    DO NOT wear shoes you do not fit.

Canyon D likes this.
  6. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The spoilers just before TFA premiered indicated that Maz stole it from Kylo Ren in the flashback. That rain battle was where Kylo got the saber and she stole it from him while he was camping with the other Knights. In Aftermath we have the Acolytes of the Beyond trying to collect Vaders red lightsaber. It's possible Kylo took it from a Vader cult.

Maybe Rey's mother was part of one of these groups.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  7. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    So Kylo Ren had to steal a saber during the battle that he would have had easy access to as Ben Solo before turning? Not sure about that. Any more details, or am I missing something?

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    His kyber crystal is red and cracked. it does not anything about a synthetic crystal in the visual dictionary. All its parts are modern despite the hilt's appearance and it being modeled on an ancient design.

Anleifr likes this.
  9. KWGerald

KWGerald Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    How did the Bespin saber turn off? Why did Vader's stay on when he threw it in Jedi?

[​IMG]

Luke'sSeveredHand and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  10. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    The Bespin saber turned off because its switch had to be pushed over to ignite it and held in place to keep it turned on. When Luke's hand was severed, the pressure from his thumb was released, so the saber turned off. As for Vader's I have always heard his saber had a locking mechanism that allowed it to stay on without being held in place, or it simply ignited with the touch of a button and stayed on until the button was pressed again.

There are many different saber designs.

Canyon D likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm under the impression that Jedi usually built their sabers with deadman pressure switches as a safety feature, while Sith preferred to lock their blades on for throwing.

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  12. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I'm not seeing anything differences....at least, anything notable worth comparing.

Luke's "instant on" @ :30

Anakin, blade isn't completely instant, but it's quick @ 15:18

Finn's isn't really instant-on, here, either, but very quick @ :10

I don't really notice any major differences in sound either.

13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

It wasn't the battle at the academy. At least not when it was originally filmed. Things were edited and re-shot in the flashback.

MSW gave us this last February. We assume it was based on call sheets.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/f...-be-up-to-before-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

• Interior Day Roses’s Pub – There is a secret underground chamber and Rose begins her tale to Han, Rey, and Finn. They hold hands.
    • Flashback: Interior Night at Academy – Dead bodies are on the ground. Luke turns up.
    • Flashback: Exterior Dusk at the Afkcademy – It is noted it is peaceful now. Artoo-Detoo is saddened as his master departs.
    • Flashback: Exterior Day at the Savannah – A hand that takes the sword at the start of the film is revealed to be Naka’s hand.
    • Flashback: Exterior on the Savannah – A peasant’s hovel where the peasant drops the sword, starts a fire, panics and then returns.
    • Flashback: Exterior Desert – Local trader is seen leaving. (I believe it then cuts to Finn and Rey’s faces as the story unfolds).
    • Flashback: Exterior Day Desert – Local trader makes a sale to a wealthy man.
    • Flashback: Exterior Night Battlefield – Fierce battle! Sword is being use by the CLAN against THE SEVEN.
    • Flashback: Exterior Night: the last man is down and Kylo Renn approaches Rey!
    • Flashback: THE SEVEN are looting and we see Rose in the foreground taking “the object.”
    • Interior Day Roses’s Pub: In the underground chamber, Rose presents the saber and Rey is revolted by it while Finn is attracted to it.
    • Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Rey moves past aliens in an uproar as she leaves the establishment.
    • Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Courtyard: Rey runs away from the castle.
    • Exterior Day: Woods near Roses’s pub Rey runs into the woods.
    • Interior Day Roses’s Pub: Rose now knows why the saber “came to her.”
    • Exterior Day: Woods near Roses’s pub BB-8 finds Rey but suddenly the villains are overhead.
    • Interior Day Roses’s Pub: In the corridors undernearth the pub they notice Rey and BB-8 are missing as massive shaking begins.
    • Exterior Roses’ Pub Plate Shot: From Rey’s point of view we see the destruction of the Castle.
    • Exterior Day Rose’s Pub – From Rey’s Point of view we see Rose’s pub is chaotic.
    • Exterior Day Woods Near Rose’s Pub – From Rey’s perspective we see Rose’s Pub ruined. Kylo Ren arrives with Stormtroopers in tow.
    • Note: This pertains: “Interior Day: Roses’ Pub hallways beneath the pub, Rose “users her special skills” to defeat Stormtroopers.

MF updated the leak above with slightly different information regarding what was shot for the flashback.

We had call sheet info leaked over the past year that was compiled and organized at the falcon boards.
    http://millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2015&t=9790

EXT DAY - 189 - CASTLE - COURTYARD • Maz Kanata and Han Solo watch the horror. Maz Kanata decides to help

EXT DAY - 190 - LANDING PAD JOURNEY • Plates as required for Maz Kanata journey to Maz Kanta's Castle

EXT DAY - 192 - SAVANNAH • Reprise Hand takes sword, we reveal Naka

EXT NIGHT - 193 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Peasant is using the sword as a firestarter

EXT DAY - 194 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Local trader buys sword off of Naka

EXT NIGHT - 195 - SAVANNAH • Local trader already has sold the sword on

EXT NIGHT - 196 - BATTLEFIELD • A battle rages. The sword is being used.

EXT DAY - 198 - ACADEMY • Leia and Han Solo hand over Young Kylo Ren to his Uncle for training

EXT DAWN - 200 - ACADEMY • Young Kylo Ren being trained by his Uncle

INT NIGHT - 202 - ACADEMY • Bodies left behind - Young Kylo Ren is gone

EXT DAY - 203 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DUSK - 204 - ACADEMY • R2-D2 upset as his master leaves

EXT NIGHT - 205 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DAY - 207 - CASTLE • Reveal Maz Kanata's spectacular Castle

INT DAY - 208 - CASTLE • Maz Kanata walks the group through the Castle interiour

EXT NIGHT - 209 - CASTLE • Kylo Ren and his Knights at campfire. Maz Kanata steals sword

INT DAY - 210 - CASTLE STAIRCASE • Walking down stairs, Maz Kanata reveals she stole it.

EXT NIGHT - 211 - MOUNTAIN SIDE • Reveal Maz Kanata on Speeder, she has the sword

INT DAY - 212 - CASTLE - UNDERGROUND CHAMBER • Finn is drawn toward the object, Rey repelled by it. She bolts

INT DAY - 213 - CASTLE - STAIRCASE • Rey climbs the stairs in need of escape

Based on the terrain description and Kylo being a Vader groupie, it's possible they intended on using Ralph McQuarries design for Vaders palace. Which means the other group might be the Acolytes of the Beyond from Aftermath.

14. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    Thanks for that info. I remember reading some stuff that didn't make it to the film or was changed, but I didn't realize Maz point blank said she stole the saber in an earlier draft. Very interesting.

I am going to go out on a thin limb and give you my opinion: If that version of events were in the novel, I would call that a cut scene. Since it didn't, I think it is highly likely that the whole sequence of events as described didn't happen, and the story changed rather than being cut. I'll guess we'll see. Thanks again for posting that info. :)

Anleifr likes this.
  15. Red One

Red One Jedi Master star 1

Jul 7, 1999
    Doesn't it seem like both Jedi and Sith Lords are way to careless with light sabers across all the movies?

Obi-Wan "This weapon is your life..."

16. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Could it be that Maz may have trained Rey's mom? To me the likeliest scenario is that maybe Maz was in Bispen, she's probably a jedi that, like Yoda and Obi-wan and our Rebels jedi managed to avoid being killed. A droid or someone found the hand with the light saber and she took it realizing what it was. More then likely Maz probably trained Rey's mother, who later met Luke, they had Rey. Either Rey's mother or Luke give the saber to Maz to keep it safe, or whoever dropped rey off may have given her the saber.

The thing about the end shot with Rey and Luke that caught my attention was that he was looking sadly at the saber as if the last time he saw that saber it was held by someone else. Maybe this was how Luke and Rey's Mom met, same sort of stance, Rey's Mom showing him the saber and asking him about it.

Anleifr likes this.
  17. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Wow, i never thought that but this sounds amazing! You may have just found a huuge spoiler...

Anleifr likes this.
  18. KnightofCydonia

KnightofCydonia Jedi Padawan

Oct 27, 2015

I see your point with the first two! However that third one was definitely edited in the final version of the film! That may have been what made it seem so odd to me, having already seen that small trailer so many times.

19. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Does she not say that in the film also?

Canyon D likes this.
  20. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    35 years later and that still looks like it hurt.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Canyon D like this.
  21. jainasky

jainasky Jedi Master star 1

Jun 7, 2010
    My personal head cannon is Maz was on Bespin when the Empire showed up, duel happens Luke loses his hand... Maz was waiting for Willrow Hood to deliver his ice cream maker computer core with files for the Rebels and the saber landed at her feet.

Anleifr, JediRocks74 and Jedi_Liz like this.
  22. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    This isn't all that complicated...

No, the Bespin 'saber was never shown, stated or even implied to be broken or destroyed. Not once, not ever. Just lost somewhere in Bespin, which under Imperial control. Why does it switch off when Luke's hand is cut off? Lightsaber's always switch off when something happens to the user. Earlier in that very fight, Vader swings it out of Luke's hand and it deactivates (on the stairs, right before he tries to Carbon Freeze Luke). Qui-Gon's switches off when he drops it when he's killed. Obi-Wan's switches off when Maul force pushes him into that pit. It also happens when Finn is knocked down by the riot trooper, and when Kylo disarms him later. When Old Ben is killed by Vader, when Mace kicks Sidious in the face, when Anakin cuts off Mace's hand, when Dooku cuts off Anakin's arm, when Anakin cuts off Dooku's hands etc etc.

And many more instances. The only two that don't fit that, are Vader hurling his 'saber at Luke in RotJ, and Yoda hurling his at a clone in RotS (outside the Temple). In both those instances, the wielder MEANT to throw it, so it can be argued there's a little switch they can press to make the 'saber stay on for an extra few seconds. AND EVEN THEN, when Vader recovers his 'saber after the throw, he has to reactivate it. And Yoda grabs his very quickly afterward, so you can say that he hit the "stay on for a few seconds switch", threw it, then grabbed again before it had a chance to switch off.

As for how it came back from Bespin...

... THIS. Very simple, logical explanation that fits with all the characters motivations.

Elle-Wan and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  23. blodie

blodie Jedi Padawan

Dec 14, 2015
    Kyle said that the blue lightsaber belong to him because he has an obsession for the original's owner of the saber : Anakin, aka Vador. This weapon belonged to two Skywalkers, father and son, two great and strong Jedi/Sith. For someone who is a Fanatic of Vador, this lightsaber is a treasure. Also since Kylo/Ben is also kinda a Skywalker, the feeling of legacy and belonging must be strong in him.
    It's natural that after the grandfather and the son, came the grandson. That's what he think. Simple as that.

Elle-Wan, Anleifr and Canyon D like this.
  24. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    The answer is simple:

Many Ugnaughts died to get us this saber...

Anleifr, JediRocks74 and Sarge like this.
  25. Java_The_Hutt_

Java_The_Hutt_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    I absolutely love the continuity with this lightsaber.

AprilMayJune and Anleifr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.