main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OK, maybe I'm way off base here....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Cetera, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

The display just shown by LMM was ridiculous to the Nth degree. If this is what the Administration expects from its representatives, then I think anyone here who is NOT a pathetic, arrogant, self-important child is in the wrong place.

AYBABTU?

2. QueenDorme

QueenDorme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    "Their "crimes" are not public business."

Yes, they are. We are a community.

This may be a shock to many, but members don't need to know everything that goes on with Joe Member if he gets banned.

The problem is that sometimes we DO need to know and the mod who banned them needs their accountability called into question.

It's between the administration and him, and no one else.

I guess that should be the decision of the banned person. However, banned people never have the chance to defend themselves since they can't Pm when banned.

Rule changes or modifications don't need to involve giving out information that is no one else's business.

I hear hints of Imperialism in this. Have your members no say?

"It is not avoiding any accountability or responsibility."

Who calls you and the JC into accountability, then?

"It is simply a more quiet and efficient way of doing things."

That's laughable.

You don't have to hear comments from people who don't know what they are talking about.

That is an elitest attitude.

People are held accountable for what they say in a private message.

How? By whom? An elite ruling party? "Sounds a lot like a dictatorship to me."

I think some people have the mistaken idea that if something goes on, they have a right to know.

No. We just want the right to call the mods and admins on accountability.

That is not the case here, and it is not the case in the real world.

On this, you are gravely mistaken.

3. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Gee, I don't know, D_A. This whole thread is kind of funny...

4. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

He's clearly antagonizing people with legitimate concerns, and he's spamming.

AYBABTU?

5. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    The sad thing is how all this is going to be resolved.

Some admin will come in, say they will discuss this matter behind closed doors, somone will hijack the thread and force its closure, and then the matter will never be discussed again. Anyone bringing it up will be accused of DRAMA! And LMM will not be reprimanded in the least.

You heard it here first folks. Watch for it.

6. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Darth_AYBABTU is right. These outrageous displays by me can only lead to pain and suffering.
    I apologize if I've hurt anyone's feelings.

[image=http://www.xs4all.nl/~sutpmar/img/love.jpg]
    Love

exciting and new

come aboard

we're expecting youuu

[image=http://www.loveboatcruise.com/logo1.jpg]

7. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I agree with [Just_A_Slacker] on this issue.

AYBABTU?

8. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I agree with Just_A_Slacker as well, except the tense. "Will hijack" should be edited to "has hijacked".

9. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    This thread is useful after all. I had no idea that Richard Dean Anderson was on The Love Boat! :eek:

10. Aurra_Sting

Aurra_Sting Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I had no idea LMM was such a moron.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Due to a number of PM requests, I am unlocking this thread. If you are going to post here, please make it constructive. Avoid flames and antagonistic messages and stick to the issues.

12. Cetera

Cetera Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2000
    Thank you for that quick response to our PMs, KnightWriter. We do appreciate it.

13. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I'm going to go ahead and take this opportunity to warn Lord Mauly Mall publically so no one thinks we're sweeping anytihng under the rug. Knock it off and stop making drama for us. Thsnks.

14. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

I seem to remember LMM posts on AICN being of a similar ilk.

But, on the JC, I really never noticed such a change in "posting character" before. LMM was a perfectly normal, helpful, funny member, but as a part of the moderators/staff, he seems to have developed a bit of a thin skin and a brusque temper.

Last time I remember anything like this was farraday going from "Applesauce" to Moderator style (via a brief stop over in troll territory). :p

Is this merely a case of someone being a little unsuited/unfamiliar to the position they have, or is there perhaps some "off the board" issues that are affecting his normally personable demeanour?

I'm sure if that was the case we could all give a little leeway.

UKS

15. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    So regular users can go trash a thread if they are having a bad day and only get a warning? Maybe the preasure of being a regular user got to me and I had to act like LMM does..

Never know.

16. Cetera

Cetera Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2000
    I don't know of any "off the board" stuff. He certainly hasn't mentioned anything like that, in any of his posts or spam. And I haven't been on here much recently either, so if anything was mentioned elsewhere, I haven't seen it. Basically, I am going only off of the responses of his in the banner thread, and his responses here on this thread. That is the information I have, and have had to make decisions regarding. My desicion was to try and get some accountability of mods here on this thread, and it doesn't appear I am alone in support for that.

This thread has basically demonstrated that he refuses to take any responsibility for his actions. He has yet to apologize, or even admit, that he may have came off in a negative light in the banner thread, and that perhaps he should have, at the very least, phrased his words differently. When some of us actually take offense to it, and try to get something done in this thread, he spams it and eventually it gets locked.

I just don't see how any of those actions are conducive to good relations on the board, or to him being a mod in general.

17. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    Ooooohhhhhh, a warning PB. Well I'll bet that'll have him quaking in his boots.

How about he get the same treatment anyone else doing the same thing would get? Or maybe even stricter since he is suppossed to be an example to other posters? (With colors comes responsibility)

Yeah a a warning, hours after LMM quit posting for the night. Thanks for throwing us a bone, even if it is symbolic and totally meaningless.

18. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "I just don't see how any of those actions are conducive to good relations on the board, or to him being a mod in general."

Quite right. We all know that regs, old and new alike, aren't allowed to behave this way, and have been banned for less. LMM's been a member here for almost three years. Certainly he's aware of what the rules are and what appropriate behavior is. What's wrong with this picture?

Oh, by the way, thanks for unlocking the thread, KW. :)

19. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I don't think LMM is a moron or an idiot. I just think he has exhibited extremely bad taste, as well as a clear inability to conduct himself appropriately as a representative of the Administration.

The above display of spam, antagonism, and disdain for the concerns of the Community At Large would have gotten a regular member at least a spank. Any moderator who makes a claim to the contrary is simply lying to protect one of his own.

I do not question LMM's contributions to the Community. His work is prevalent all over the JC. One's opinion of that work is subjective but hardly wholly irrelevant. He responded to legitimate criticism with arrogance and dismissiveness. His use of staff status to justify his opinions over others' and his blatant violation of the Terms of Service (in spirit, if not in letter) are ridiculous. Does he believe that his position as moderator exempts him from the forum rules? Does he believe that his status sets him on a plateau above "regular" members, and protects him from reprimand? Judging from his actions, it would seem so.

His clear defiance of the rules, as well as his disregard for common standards of principle and decency are offensive to many here. As a member of the Advisory Council, I have received numerous PMs from users asking me to address this. This is not an isolated incident, it seems. It is a pattern of behavior that LMM is developing.

As I said, his contributions as a TF.N staffer are evident. However, he has repeatedly shown an inability to represent the Administration appropriately as a moderator. I would hope that the Leadership Council, with input from the rest of the ModSquad, would consider taking action to alleviate his obvious misuse and abuse of his power and status.

AYBABTU?

20. John of the collective

John of the collective Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 1998
    I was typing this out last night as KW was closing the thread. SInce it's reopened I'll share with everyone. I've made a few slight changes.

Good Googly Moogly go out for a couple hours of Real life with the wife and you miss 3 pages.

Anyway, back on topic.
    As to someone's comment about the JC being destroyed from the inside. there are some of us who think that's already happned and we're living with the "Empire" already.

Second as to PMs and there need. I was here when the first wave hit after TPM There was no PMs The Admins handled it.

Heck, I would go so far as to say that I'm not entirely thrilled with the hidden Admin forum. There's very little that should be discussed in there that we shouldn't be able to see. Oh I can understand denying posting rights, but not viewing rights.

Finally, LMM, if you were a regular user, you'd be banned by now. I should hope that the Administration does so soon, because if they don't then they have pretty much undermined any integrity they had.

And just to make sure that it doesn't get forgotten, Gundark has a legitimate request to get Sarcasm unbanned. I went through all of Sarcasm's posts which weren't that many and I cannot see how they constitute any sort of flaming or inappropriateness.

Personally, I THINK He should also get a title, but I understand that that's a completely different topic.

21. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    As my earlier question: Why is LMM a mod, when all other staff are VIP's?

22. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree with AYBABTU on this issue.

23. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    You guys are still harping over me?

24. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    Yep. Your behavior hasn't changed, and the administration still haven't done anything about it.

25. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    This is particularly disturbing considering this is not the first time LMM has used his moderator status in a less-than-professional manner.

Speaking to an earlier point that I let slip:

LMM: Staff members don't get paid and there is no money involved here.

I realize that staff members are not paid to work on TF.n and I usually hold the staff in high esteem for that and many other reasons. I was addressing a specific statement in and earlier thread made by Carter to another memeber -- and I quote -- "when you're a professional and know what you're talking about, then I might listen to your opinion. But until that time comes, you have no clue. "

His statement was not directed at me, however, my response is I am a professional (I'm paid to do that kind of stuff -- Lord only knows why) but I don't think that necessarily validates my opinion any more than anyone else's. Why should being a professional have anything to do with someone's ability to critique graphic design? The statement in and of itself was terribly unprofessional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.