main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OK, maybe I'm way off base here....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Cetera, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    This quote was from epic in the other spam thread, but I think it is relevant to this discussion --

That's why it's pointless making a whole handbook of rules and policies and whatever else. In the end, decisions have to be made on an individual basis.

I would submit that this point of view is what is causing this problem in the first place. There are rules and there are precedents. While I would reluctantly agree that each incident should be judged individually, who the member is should not be taken into consideration. A violation is a violation is a violation. It should be that simple. A repeat offender should be punished appropriately. So the violation, the precedent for that violation and the history of that poster should be taken into consideration but not that member's status.

2. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    The rules were enforced. He was warned. Just as I would have warned anyone for a similar rule infraction. It's not a bannable offense, in my opinion. Whether he's going to be demoted or not is being discussed in the admin forum but we don't take that sort of thing lightly and we usually don't do it without some sort of discussion in non-extreme circumstances like this one. If he does it again he will definitly be demoted/and or banned. I'm sorry if that's not enough for you guys but that's the way it is.

3. pill

pill Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    Lord Mauly Mall is the man! A salute you, sir, for putting up with these wacko's crap.

You'd think people's lives would not be so easily turned upside down by a StarWars message board on the internet. LMM rockS!!!

4. John of the collective

John of the collective Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 1998
    If he had kept quiet in the first place, we wouldn't be here. sure, it wouldn't be ideal, but at least it wouldn't be a huge council wide issue.

5. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I want him on a cross plz.

[image=http://www.swmcmmj.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif]

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I think what everyone was wanting was some assurance from the Administration that the issue was being dealt with appropriately and seriously. Now that we have this assurance, I vote that we bring this discussion to a halt and let the Administration do its thing for a while.

When the decision is rendered, we can get a briefing on what went down and ask for clarity on any pending issues, such as Amidala Starkiller's still unanswered question on why LMM wasn't simply made a VIP from the start.

AYBABTU?

7. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "I don't see how someone saying that most everything he has created sucks WOULDN'T be a personal attack."

Last I checked, we were talking about one banner, not everything he's ever done. One single glaringly blemished banner.

8. pill

Jun 22, 2002
    Why? Because no matter many times you post the same thing over and over, you aren't able to make me change all my own points of view to follow yours?

You don't know when to quit.

Leave LMM alone. He is a person like anyone else.

9. Remo_Williams

Remo_Williams Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2002
    What a load of crap.

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

By the way, the comments of the obviously disgruntled sock, Remo_Williams, are not supported by anyone reasonable.

AYBABTU?

11. pill

Jun 22, 2002
    10 pages of it.

12. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Why do I get the suspicion that pill is a sock of Lord Mauly Mall?

13. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Who is Pill ? you never came into comm before?

14. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    I dont know why you would get that impression BYOB

15. pill

Jun 22, 2002
    I only lurk in here. And I never really make a point to come in here but someone told me what was going on.

And what is a sock? I am not just following LMM's every whim, but you need to let up on the guy. Why would he even want to apologize after this lynching.

16. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    BYOB, that WAS said by one of the people giving him a hard time about his creative efforts.

He is a volunteer, spending his time to do something for free, and people just harp on him (obviously I can say that because I'm Irish) about it because he took creative license. Remember that next time people ask why the banners haven't been upgraded in a while.

By the way, have the antagonizers also been given their warnings yet?

17. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Asking someone to explain themseleves and asking why they could do stuff when we would get banned for it is wrong now?

Sorry, you are a mod you are held to higher standards ALWAYS, part of the job.

If they dont like it they can quit right?

Regular users have more freedom yes, but we also get banned without warnings, or a thread about us in mod squad usualy (unless its perm ban, but then it is still after the fact)

So it evens out.

18. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Asking someone to explain themseleves and asking why they could do stuff when we would get banned for it is wrong now?

Sorry, you are a mod you are held to higher standards ALWAYS, part of the job.

If they dont like it they can quit right?

Regular users have more freedom yes, but we also get banned without warnings, or a thread about us in mod squad usualy (unless its perm ban, but then it is still after the fact)

So it evens out.

19. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Pill isn't a sock of mine or anyone elses as far as I can tell. I checked up on him too since he's one of the only people supporting me and I was curious. ;)

20. John of the collective

Sep 15, 1998
    Tell me, if somebody working for Habitat for Humanity builds a house that is fundimentally unsound perhaps even dangerous, is that person absolved of responsibility, because they were merely volunteering?

And Again Gimer, Cetera has addressed his own personal mistakes in a timely and adult fashion. We can ask for no more.
    I agree with AYBABTU that we need to give this a rest until an update has been made.

21. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Well, I didn't ever scroll into this thread because I just dismissed the first post. But come on, having a conversation with yourself over tons of posts in a row, something discouraged in a mod-squad update? After seeing Dan's post that he was banned for I think any regular user would have been banned for 24hrs...

But I'm sure the administrations is taking care of it so the only question I have is...

Why do you need a ban button to make banners?

22. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    I'm not talking about just cetara. There were more people making attacks in the original thread, and it seems that LMM's apology is not good enough for you, then why should we take ceteras either?

Is it right to spam? NO.
    Is it right to flame? NO.
    Is someone attacking your creative efforts right either? NO.

BYOB has said that he encourages people to be able to take criticism for their creative efforts in stride, and not to be thin skinned about it.
    I say that his comments back to those people are just the same thing. If you are going to say that he can't be upset about those things, then noone can be upset by things he said either.

Equal standards - remember?

And he should NOT receive special treatment for his status. Noone should.
    As said above - in Epic's quote- It is determined by the situation
    - and in this case - which he was antagonized into.

23. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    I said his banners were craptacular and I stand by my opinion. I simply don't think he's all that talented (anyone with Photoshop and a weeks worth of time to fiddle with it can do the same thing) and the TPM banner with Dooku just cemented my opinion. That said, (to paraphrase LMM's statement) I'm not a professional graphich artist so why would he even care what I say about it?

24. John of the collective

Sep 15, 1998
    Antagonism has never worked a a defense here before. If the Moderators feel that other members deserve to be taken to task for the nature of their comments then so be it, but they didn't come into this thread and make it an issue here. Cetera did.

I understand it may seem disingenuous to accept Cetera's apology and not LMM, but he certainly couched his words in appropriate terms and was clearly warned about the concequences of his flame. LMM has scoffed at the notion that he should or could be punished. at no time did Cetera do such a thing. LMM has acted as if he is above the law and thus I find it harder to accept his apology. He also has a history as a number of people have illustrated this is not a first offense. to the point of putting Spoilers in a non-Spoilers forum. Perhaps I think an apology is too little too late here?

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I must be honest and tell you all that I haven't read every post in this thread, don't know much about this situation, and won't take a side in this debate. However, I do want to add my perspective and state a few facts.

Moderating the boards/working for TFN is a tough job. No matter what you do, a lot of people will be unhappy about your actions. Angry users often do things such as insulting you, spreading bantha poodoo about you, and harassing you off-board. I'm not suggesting that anyone involved in this particular situation with LMM did anything like the examples of bad user behavior I mentioned above, but I am pointing out that it's difficult to put up with continual negativity directed at your hard efforts day after day and still present a smiling face to the JC all the time. You should always have a little sympathy for and show a little understanding to the people who run this site, since they are human just like you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.