OK, OK, BUT how and why does THE DUEL start ?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by episodenone, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. episodenone Force Ghost

star 4
    we all figure the duel is probably a lock without any doubt that obi-wan and anakin will duel thus the "lava bath" etc.

but aside from anakin saying "en garde" --- what will be the ultimate instigator for them to stop talking and start swingin!!!

i say:
    padme goes on a jedi sanctioned mission that ani believes she should not undertake
    ani does not want padme (his new wife) (and possibly he knows of his new PREGNANT wife) putting herself in any kind of danger
    perhaps palpy has caught on to the marriage somehow

so palpy ends up convincing ani that padme somehow dies on this mission

thats the last straw for ani, and while he KNOWS the jedi sent her, maybe obi-wan had something in particular to do with sending padme on this mission
    ani goes "dark" and is so angry for not preventing padme's death in the same way he did not prevent his mothers death !!!!!

as ani takes his revenge,, obi-wan arrives to see that ani is turning to the dark side, killing jedi, killing dooku (?) and....

herein lies obi-wans greatest failure...
    he cannot calm / convince ani to see through the lies/deceit/anger and remain a jedi

what do u think?
  2. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    episodenone, you've obviously been reading my posts. [face_laugh]

Check this thread out: The most important question of the Saga

Why does The Duel start?

It's obviously related to: how/why does Anakin turn to the Dark Side?

Does Obi-Wan confront Anakin, or is it the other way around?

I think it will be a combination of the Jedi finding out Palps=Sidious, Anakin believing Palps has all the answers, politics-wise and Force-wise, something involving Padme/the twins, and the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin.

It's possible that Anakin finds Obi-Wan when he, Bail and Yoda are taking Padme and the twins (or just the twins if Padme dies) away, and confronts him there.

Or it could be that Obi-Wan goes himself to "hunt down" Anakin, because he feels he's the only one who could stop him. Or because he feels that Anakin can still be turned back to the Light Side.

Whatever happens, it's got to be something shocking, and probably won't be one single thing that sets off The Duel.

Anakin and Obi-Wan are Master and Apprentice, best friends, father figure and son.

We haven't seen anything like this in SW so far, when 2 friends attack each other without reservation.
  3. episodenone Force Ghost

star 4
    tx for the link - i was looking for a similar discussion and figured i had to start a new one

HOWEVER, i think my topic is more specific as to how the actual duel will begin -- the moment of the joust -- , not how ani turns

like i said, why they stop talking and start swinging

4. hippie1kenobi Force Ghost

star 3
    Obi-Wan tells anaking, "You have learned much of the Force my young aprentice, but you are too arogant and cannot follow directions... You're Fired!!". Snaphiss/lava/heavy breathing/iris out.

Or it could be that Obi-Wan goes himself to "hunt down" Anakin, because he feels he's the only one who could stop him. Or because he feels that Anakin can still be turned back to the Light Side.

Whatever happens, it's got to be something shocking, and probably won't be one single thing that sets off The Duel.

I agree, overall I think Anakin has turned or is well on the way to turning at this point and Obi-Wan tried to bring him back ot his senses.

As far as what actually starts the duel, I would like it to be a number of different circumstances that come together and make the duel inevitable.

Who starts it though? I would think Anakin actually lights his blade first with Obi-Wan starting on the defensive. Obi-Wan will get emotional and attack for a bit, but like his battle with Maul, he will win once he finds his center and his opponenet makes an error that leaves himself open to defeat.
  5. Darth_Sacrilicious Force Ghost

star 2
    It's possible that Anakin finds Obi-Wan when he, Bail and Yoda are taking Padme and the twins (or just the twins if Padme dies) away, and confronts him there."

I never thought about that before, but that would make obi-wan seem more heroic, if he were fighting to allow the twins to escape, and it would make him thinking he was a failure seem all the sadder. it would also go along with Vader saying that "now his failure is complete" in ROTJ, if he had thought Obi-wan was fighting to save his son and didn't know about Leia until later.

I agree that Anakin must be the one that attacks first; Obi-Wan will be trying to calm him down with talk, i bet. something that just occured to me is that there has been talk about mirrors and such with the confrontation scene with the emperor in ROTJ. What if the scene in episode 3 was that obi-wan and anakin move in to take out Palps, like dooku in AOTC, and Palps talks anakin into attacking obi-wan instead. that would be a cool twist.
    Basically, I guess i can sum up this babbling post with, I don't know, but the possibilities are really exciting to speculate about.
  6. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have a feeling Anakin will start the duel by striking the first blow. My hunch is that Obi-Wan will wise up to Anakin's true nature throughout the course of the film and will finally confront Anakin "in the act" so to speak. Anakin will warn Obi-Wan not to interfere to which Obi-Wan will reply that Anakin knows he can't do that. Angry and frustrated that his former master is again trying to "hold him back", Anakin will finally give in to his hate and strike out at Obi-Wan. I have a feeling Obi-Wan will be fighting defensively for much of the battle and that the near fatal conclussion will be inadvertant rather than deliberate.

Personally, I think Anakin's betrayal will be premeditated and deliberate. I've never really liked the idea that Padme's possible death would be the final straw although it could be a contributing factor. Rick McCallum said that he felt angry and disgusted when he read the particulars of Anakin's betrayal in the script, so I imagine it's something that's really to catch the audience off guard and remove their sympathy for the character.
  7. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the one thing we can be sure of is that Obi-Wan will see absolutely no other option when he does engage in battle against his own apprentice. Anything else would be truly surprising.
  8. Ghost_Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    We mustr also have to not rule out whether or not this is Obi's first battle w/ a Jedi. Maybe he has taken out Mace already (speculation). Maybe he feels that he has taken down Mace, that there is no way to go back, and Obi is lying to him.
  9. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    You mean Anakin there, right?
  10. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, I think Obi-Wan, at least at the beginning, is going to try to reason with Anakin or convince him to come back to the Light Side.

That's consistent with Ben's character and Vader's line in ROTJ "Obi-Wan once thought as you do".

So I agree that he'll be on the defensive - but Obi-Wan is also not one to shirk from duty, so if he truly believes that Anakin is lost to the Dark Side, he might try to dispatch him.

Also, if Obi-Wan is fighting to let Padme/Yoda/Bail/the twins get away, I can see Obi-Wan becoming the aggressor at some point.

It would certainly be interesting to see Anakin hesitant to fight and Obi-Wan striking the first blow, but it's probably too much of a reach, given their respective characters and their history together.
  11. episodenone Force Ghost

star 4
    "it would also go along with Vader saying that "now his failure is complete" in ROTJ, if he had thought Obi-wan was fighting to save his son and didn't know about Leia until later."

great point! i love it!

"Anakin will warn Obi-Wan not to interfere to which Obi-Wan will reply that Anakin knows he can't do that. Angry and frustrated that his former master is again trying to "hold him back","

another great idea!

it's exciting to hear these thoughts

while i take anything mccallum says with a grain of salt.... it does make me think that anakin will have really been a murderous animal by that point,,, having taken his tusken murder scene too all new heights and no longer having any sense of remorse or regret - and perhaps much contrite satisfaction evidenced when the confrontation takes place

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.