main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OK, OK, maybe it's not only for kids.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Cid, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    The Battle Droids still annoy me, but so far i'm kinda impressed. The three stories i've seen so far haven't been too bad. Much better than i thought they'd be.

This DOESN'T change my insistence that we need to see dark Times Jedi in the live action series. But i had low hopes, low enough that i refused to go see the pilot movie for fear of wasting money.

Uncle. You guys win.

It really isn't bad...

2. darth_degnan

darth_degnan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2008
    Oh, but it is that bad!

3. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    It's AWESOME!:p

I'm sure many users on here will agree.

4. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    This last episode was what really sold me. I liked the first two, but this one reall felt like I was watching Star Wars. And even if people still think it's just a kid's show, it's still a really good kid's show. Honestly, I think this is the best action show on a kid's channel to come out in years. Actually, it's the best action show I've seen in years, period.

5. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, it didn't feel like 'kid's show' to me...except for Ashoka. I like it thus far and I hope it continues with this kind of entertainment quality.

6. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I finally saw an epsiode and I have to say that I will definitely buy the show I DVD. The movie was okay but the TV series is better. What really made TCW for me was the novelization. Karen Traviss=My Fav. SW authot.

7. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Traviss? You're favorite author? She's one of the worst Star Wars authors ever, right up there with the guy who wrote Crystal Star! I mean, dman, she hates Jedi. She writes them out of character and makes it seem that the Mandalorians and Clones are what a person wants to be. She's a bad author. A REALLY bad author.

And anyway, it is getting more mature.

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    wasn't the guy who wrote Crystal Star a woman? :p

9. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Here, Here =D=!!!

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Now, now, let's not have this deteriorate into flaming. Because I'll call in the Mods, because, yes, I'm that mean.

But, to stay on topic...

I've enjoyed all of these episodes a damn sight more than the film. The first episode was spectacular, and fulfilled a wish for me that Ventress and Yoda would meet. Damn awesome, I must say. The Malevolence episodes remind me of the old X-wing books, when we were hunting down the Super Star Destroyer Iron Fist.

Awesome, indeed.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Guys, absolutely no more author bashing or I will lock this down.

The show so far is doing a pretty good job of straddling the line between entertainment for children and adults....in other words, it feels very Star Wars. I'm getting a definite ANH-level vibe from it.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I usually enjoy Star Wars productions, so I wasn't worried, I knew it would be good when I first heard they were making it.

13. darth_degnan

Sep 3, 2008
    How can you take the ridiculous dialogue of the battle droids seriously? Why does they have to be so over-the-top cheesy?

14. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    The show wasn't that bad, but the episode I really liked was Ambush. I love the clones in this. The next episode has Rex and Cody, right?

15. darth_degnan

Sep 3, 2008
    And what about the introductions? A total ripoff of Starship Troopers, even the voice sounds exactly the same? It just doesn't fit.

16. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    Each episode should start just like the 6 movies. With the words coming down the screen.

17. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I also enjoyed the Yoda/Ventress meeting, especially that Yoda defeated her without really lifting a finger and telling her basically not even to try because she is no match for him.

18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    And Starship Troopers got that narration from the same place the Clone Wars did... WWII newsreels.

It's not a rip off of Starship Troopers, it's an homage to WWII newsreels.

19. darth_degnan

Sep 3, 2008
    Yes, yes, I know. But the homage has already been used in sci-fi, it just doesn't belong. Besides, it's not even being used as an official newsreel in The Clone Wars, its just some goofy voice. It doesn't set the tone.

I like the suggestion of using the scroll. The scroll is one of the most recognized aspect of Star Wars.

20. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Hey, be happy: at least the droids are genuinely funny, for once. I wouldn't say they're necessarily "over-the-top," and it's nice to finally see the reason why Grievous is always said to be driven up the wall by them.

21. Ashoka

Ashoka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    How does it really not fit? Star Wars was based on WW2 and the WW - Lots of influences there. The Newsreel is from the times of WW2 - It fits PERFECTLY.

22. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You know what, guys? I'm 31 and I have a history degree. I know exactly where Lucas, Filoni et al are going for with the "newsreel" approach. Futurama does the same thing once in a while.

But for the average viewer, do they really get it?

The question is not where they're pulling the "announcer" from, but rather is it working?

I'm fairly ambivalent at this point, but I do appreciate how it jumps into the action more quickly than using the scroll.

23. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    ^^^ Exactly. I'm a fan of the newsreel. It saves quite a bit of time and it's a different way of saying "previously on the Clone Wars." I think that if we did get the crawl everytime then it would me less special when I watch the movies.

24. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    You know the same could be said for the Jedi fortune cookies as well...do they really fit?

To me(and I picked up on the Starship Troopers ref too.) I think it does, it gives a good lesson for kids with the quotes at the beginning and like others have said it gives you that newreel(HoloNet?) aspect as if you were sitting at home in your apartment on Coruscant watching it unfold.

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I would prefer a crawl rather than the announcer but it's a minor point. I'm really enjoying the TV series much more than I had expected. I'm even enjoying the silly antics of the battle droids. I look forward to hearing their little comments. In fact, I'll watch the episodes twice just to catch up on some of the things I'd missed the first time.

Really enjoying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.