main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San A, TX OK SAFF - IT'S TIME TO STEP UP

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by tre_si_san, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tre_si_san

tre_si_san Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2004
    Dear SAFF Members:

I have made a request to the members of the USS Bexar. I am making the same request of SAFF...

By now, we are all aware of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Now, what are we going to do about it??

It's time to step up, pull together and gather stuff that we can get to the Red Cross for delivery to the areas affected:

Gallons of water
    Mops, brooms, buckets
    Other cleaning supplies
    Clothing, blankets, etc
    Pet food
    Personal hygiene items

I would say food items, but maybe Robert Ybarra can check with the Red Cross to see what if any food items can be used or wanted. People will have no way to really cook food at this time and possibly for quite a while to come.

Robert & Terrie: If we actually have any stuffed animals that have not been given to the fire department, then maybe we can see if the Red Cross will take them also. Children, not just adults have lost everything and a simple teddy bear can really help.

Robert, it is up to you whether you wish to invite the Victory and Thunderwolf to help out.

OK PEOPLE.......NOW LET'S GET THIS GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Sith_Mistress

Sith_Mistress Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    Excellent idea, Alex! Just tell me when and where to bring the stuff, and I'll be there.

Lisa

3. ST-NG-JEDI

ST-NG-JEDI Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Everyone, ***More details to follow****

Nestle Waters / Ozarka has joined forces with Beta Lambda Upsilon -the honors club at
    Northwest Vista College, USS Bexar - Star Fleet International San Antonio,
    and Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. We will be doing a fundraiser very soon at to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina. As we all know Hurricane Katrina has left a trail of devastation throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.
    With tens of thousands of victims stranded and in need of immediate medical care, food
    and water, and needing temporary housing for months, we are looking to show our support by conducting this drive for clothing, bedding,sleeping bags, household cleaning supplies, bug repellent spray, hand sanitizer, batteries, battery operated AM/FM radios, flashlights, books and toys for children.

PS: Also looking for pet food, some of the pets were misplaced and need our help too.

Thanks, Robert Ybarra, CO USS Bexar, STNG Jedi

4. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    Ok guys, I will be making the pickups Friday....If things can be gathered at one place thats even better, if not, let me know where you want me to pick them up....I know Lisa is not the only one with a heart...even if you just gave $5...thats buys stuff at the dollar store that we can donate...

The Bexar is kicking it into high gear.....depending on the ongoing need, we may donate stuff once a month.....we will let you know of those plans later....

5. Darth-Hulk

Darth-Hulk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 2, 2003
    Just let me know where, Alex.

6. DarthCynthia72

DarthCynthia72 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    I've got 2 huge bags of clothes.

Let me know where to take them so they can be picked up.

7. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    Ok, we can meet at a central location between 1pm and 3pm Friday Sept 2......If you want, the Quarry is pretty central and we can meet outside the Office Max.....How is that??? Let me know...

8. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    I don't get out of work until 4:15pm. Can I drop off monetary donations somwhere?

9. ST-NG-JEDI

May 31, 2005
    Mars had a great question,
    I spoke with John at Atomic Comics & Gaming and he will let me put up a box there. I think he would hold the items until I get over there to set up the box. I will call him again and maybe Alex can swing by there to meet or pick up the items. The main collection point will be beginning IMEADIATELY at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, until next week Friday September 10th.

However we will be doing a fundraiser on Friday, September 2 from 5pm - 7pm at Verizon Wireless in Selma, TX with Nestle Waters, Beta Lambda Upsilon -the honors club at Northwest Vista College, USS Bexar - Star Fleet International San Antonio, Clear Channel Communications just joined in today. Some more details still need to be worked out, but you should be hearing about this event on the radio.
    Robert

10. lordsinner

lordsinner Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    I will try to help out in one way or another.

Nick

11. DarthCynthia72

DarthCynthia72 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    I don't get off work until 3.
    I could probably take my stuff to Atomic Comics, although the Quarry is alot closer to where I live.

No matter, just let me know where.

12. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    It would be great if we could get some members from SAFF out there to the fundraiser in Selma. Robert, would we be welcome to help out? I'd love to be there to do what I can.

13. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    Mars,

AND EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!!! We would love your help in this project. Hence why I was asking for help. We understand, for most, funds are budgeted to the penny, but we can always use strong arms and smiley faces to help however you can. BUT NO MONKEYS, NICK!!![face_monkey]

14. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    Great! I'll be there.

15. ST-NG-JEDI

May 31, 2005
    Everyone,
    Alex is correct, EVERYONE (no Nick [face_monkey] ) is welcome to come to help. Just found out more details, there will be a ?live remote? by ?MIX 96.1? Clear Channel Communications from 5pm -7pm.

The first 100 donations dropped off between, 5pm-7pm at the Verizon Wireless ticket office will receive a free gift from Ozarka. Please join us in helping the great cause and enjoy a concert. Remeber if you have any check or cash donations we will be accepting them there, please make the check payable to 'Beta Lambda Upsilon Hurricane Fund'.

Alex will be the contact person if you want to meet with him, PM Alex or if you want to leave your donation at Atomic Comics TONIGHT, we can go by to pick them up on Friday. Volunteers will need to meet at Verizon Wireless close to 4pm, of course we will accept you help when you get there.
    Thank you so much,
    Robert STNG Jedi

16. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    I'll get there as early as I can.

17. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    Unfortunately guys, I work until 5pm and Verizon is pretty far from where I work. I don't think I'd make it out there with rush hour traffic. I am going to drop off a donation at Atomic Comix though. I'm so sorry I can't make it to help. Is there anything else I can do?

18. lordsinner

May 9, 2005
    I'm available today 5 pm to 7 pm and will try to be there to help. If not, I'll let you know.

Thanks,
    Nick

19. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    Mars:

We'll keep you informed....thanks for your donation.....

20. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    YOU KNOW WHAT, NEVERMIND WHAT I SAID. I MAY NOT MAKE IT THERE ON TIME, BUT I'M COMING ANYWAY. I'd feel so bad if I didn't at least try.

21. lordsinner

May 9, 2005
    sorry, can't come afterall. family is in town for Dallas.

22. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    Hey everyone...our time was a rousing success at the Verizon Amphitheatre....Thanks to Robert, Terrie and Marselles for helping out....

23. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Just got home from work right now - sorry I wasn't able to attend.

24. ST-NG-JEDI

May 31, 2005
    First of all I would like to thank everyone who donated and came to help yesterday evening at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. Alex, Terrie and Marselles you guys rock. If you missed out and could not get those items to us it is still NOT to Late to donate items. If you want to donate items you can drop items at Verizon until next Friday, September 10th. Or you can contact Alex (you just got volunteered) and you can coordinate where, when or Alex will pick them up at Atomic Comics, unfortunately I will be in Houston all of next week for work.

Now for the good stuff, we collected many, many items from generous people we were able to fill almost over to capacity a truck. Not a pickup, I?m talk?n a huge Ozarka truck, the kind you see similar to a soda or beer truck size. Both sides of the truck bays were full, if not for the Ozarka truck guys moving things around and rearranging we would not have had room for more items. I would like to thank all the volunteers who helped make this drive a HUGE success, the two drivers from Ozarka, Stephanie Regets from Nestle? Waters / Ozarka, her husband Phillip and their son Alexander (nicknamed- Zander, great gopher and helper), Beta Lambda Upsilon -the honors club at Northwest Vista College, the people and staff at Verizon Wireless, Clear Channel Communications their staff, The San Antonio Fan Force and USS Bexar - Star Fleet International San Antonio members, again thank you.

I did hear some stories from people as to the reason they were donating, one in particular really touched me. A lady drives up in a pick up filled with many items blankets, clothes, food etc??and I noticed adult walker a cane and other handicapped medical items. I asked her ?are these donations?? She replied ?Yes, they belonged to my Dad, he would have wanted to do this, he passed away this June.? I thanked her and she smiled and thanked us for doing this. She drove away and I could not help feeling so blessed and waited on the next vehicle in line.

For those of us that were there in the heat and sun we enjoyed the sites and sounds (Mars- rendition of ?Arnold?, Chewbacca and Yoda) ?get to the chopper!? We had an awesome time, even though our backs, legs and bodies were sore, we really had a good time, regardless of the circumstances for us being there.

Thank you, Robert STNG- Jedi

25. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    I'm just glad I could make it there to help out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.