main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ok so I'm slowly converting to the d20 system...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Wylding, Aug 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    ...and I was wondering about the bonus you get from spending a force point. You roll x amount of d6's depending upon your level and that is the bonus number of d20's you get to roll on said action? This just doesn't seem right to me...

Can someone set me straight? I'd appreciate it.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Wylding, "You've taken your first step into a larger world."

Calling upon the Force (spending a Force Point) gains you a bonus to all to hit rolls, saving throws, & skill checks until your next initiative. The decision to call upon the Force is made prior to rolling any dice in the round. The amount of the bonus is dependent upon your level, whether or not you're Force Sensitive, and whether or not you're calling upon the dark side. The sourcebook assumes that non Force Sensitives are NOT calling upon the dark side. "Dark side" characters cannot call upon the "light side" of the Force.

Here's an example of how it breaks down:
    a 7th lvl Scoundrel, and a Jedi Knight (7th lvl Jedi Guardian) are in dire straights and each calls upon the Force. The (non sensitive) Scoundrel rolls 2d6, getting a 9. Until his next turn in initiative, he gets a +9 to all saving throws, skill checks, and to hit rolls. The Jedi unfortunately gives in to his anger and calls upon the dark side. Instead of rolling 3d6 for calling upon the light side, he instead rolls 4d6, getting a 20. Until his next turn in initiative, the Jedi gets +20 to all skill checks, saving throws, and attack rolls (the dark side is easier quicker, & more seductive)

A Jedi Master (20th lvl Jedi Guardian) is battling a Sith Master (7th lvl Jedi Guardian/3rd lvl Sith Warrior/10th lvl Sith Lord; a 20th lvl dark side character) Each calls upon the Force. The Jedi Master rolls 7d6, getting a 30. The Jedi Master now gets +30 (yes you read that right) to all skill checks, saving throws & to hit rolls until his next initiative! The Sith Master only rolls 5d6 (the dark side is not without its cost) and gets a 15. The Sith Master gets +15 to all skill checks, attack rolls, and saving throws. If this were a 20th lvl non-sensitive, he would roll 4d6.

3. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Damn Merkurian, that was a great explanation. :)

Thanks a alot...I guess that force sensitives are a little bit overpowered. I'll have to take another look at how I'm going to run the campaign.

4. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Great Example!

5. ZaiShanZo

ZaiShanZo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2001
    Force-sensitives are over-powered.... unless of course you've got force sensitives to pit them against. And a Jedi who foolishly uses his powers when they're not truly needed is going to be SOL when he comes up against a fresh Sith Lord with his vitality bank half burned away. Also I highly encourage GameMasters to keep a watch on what tthey do. Careless use of the Force is a quick express to the darkside. And even darksiders themselves have to be careful lest the dark take them completely.

Also keep in mind that the Force is an art not a science, the players should never be in a position to assume they know everything there is to be known.

Also keep in mind that Force powers aren't really much for ranged attacks, sure Jedi do have defenses but one alone against a swarm of grunt troops is going to be toast if she's not careful.

It's the nature of the beast. Star Wars is a story of demigods mixed with normals. If you include or allow Forcewielders in the campaign, they're going to be pivotal elements in the storyline. On the other hand, many types of story/campaigns give ample reason to exclude them from the party entirely. If the bulk of your players want to be freebooting swashbucklers beholden only to themselves, than Force characters should proably not be allowed.

6. QuiGonJon

QuiGonJon Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2001
    "Force-sensitives are over-powered.... unless of course you've got force sensitives to pit them against."
    "If you include or allow Forcewielders in the campaign, they're going to be pivotal elements in the storyline."
    I disagree with you.
    Everyone says that Force Users are more powerful. Force Users can change the game. Because a character can use the force in no way makes him a pivotal character. It?s how the player role-plays that makes the character pivotal or even memorable.
    I designed a heavy 6th level Sith Lord in one adventure, and a 2 level Scout with a bow caster took him out (critical are pain). The Jedi of the group died (very quickly), and the Scout ended up being more pivotal than the Force User. The guy playing the Scout decided to avenge the death of his Jedi friend. He was relentless in his pursuit of the Sith Lord. I kept telling the player he was crazy, but he kept going after the Sith, and he got him with a critical. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it happened, and it changed my whole story line. Force Users bleed like every other character.

7. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    That is true. In my campaign I had a force-user wipe out an entire group of enemies with simple force use. Like you said its all a matter of how the character is played.

8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Being a Force-user does give an edge over other characters since it gives access to a broad range of new skills. But it dulls the "common" skills of the Force-user, and the player of a Force-using PC will often come to rely in his Force powers whenever trouble arises. But even a Force-user can't do anything versus creative roleplay. For an example, take a 10th level Jedi Guardian and a 6th level Scoundrel. If anyone is asked the question, "who will win the fight", many people will answer "the Jedi Guardian". But what if the Scoundrel takes a few moves of his own ?
    If he chooses to steal a speederbike to run away from the Jedi, not only will the Jedi be in trouble to catch with him (he's got to know how to pilot the speederbike, he's got to pilot it as well as the Scoundrel, which is unlikely since even if he was at his max skill level, he would have a lower max than the Scoundrel - and seldom are the Jedi who spend a Skill point on Pilot at every level they advance, when the player doesn't want to create a Jedi Pilot).
    There's also the moral dilemma for the Jedi. Is his own speederbike nearby (has he even got one ?) ? Can he afford the time he needs to get to it ? Will he really manage to catch the Scoundrel with his Force-Jump at the speed at which the Scoundrel is escaping ? If he finally needs that speederbike, will he steal it ? If he tries, can he hotwire it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.