main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Ok, so its my last day here at Alliance Atlantis?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Jymm_Roquand, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    And though its been fun I can?t wait for it to end. This may seem unappreciative because not many people get this experience. I don?t mean to brag either, but in all honesty it is highly difficult to get into the industry and the oppurtunity I have been given is rare. For that I am appreciative. But I have learned a few things?

First: I am addicted to the JCC/FanForce. That got me in trouble a couple of times as I was distracted from work. Never-the-less I always got my jobs done so I am not sure what the problem was.

Second: Never work with family. My dad spent years telling me that he would never higher family, as he has always been some sort of manager at some level since I was a child. I never listened or understood why but now I do. When a family member is your boss it becomes difficult and awkward. Not only do you work with them but you see them on the weekends and during get togethers. They know your family so when you screw up, EVERYONE knows about it. I could go one about how much this aspect sucks but I assure you it would be best just to let this point goes as I am sure you guys understand where I am going.

Now it was nice to be doing something with my life. People loved to hear how I am working for a big company. And it was interesting driving through Scarborough each day.

And it was nice to be in the business but unfortunately anything I learned here had nothing to do with the business. And I got to work with none of the cool titles because I was stuck in the department that makes all the crap that no one ever heares about. Though I am feeling good because I found an autographed picture of Dan Akroyd who invented the Ghostbusters, my favorite childhood franchise and arguably the root of my interest in the industry (though Star Wars got me motivated a little more). Technically speaking you could say the guy gave me my start. Nevertheless it is now my second favorite autographed picture I own, next to my Kenny Baker signed picture of R2 D2.

Now I am about two hours away from being finished packing and there are no bins. So I sit and wait excited because today is SFX and the Comicon, perhaps the biggest show of geekery this side of Toronto Trek. I can?t wait. The Sock is coming people!!!

All in all, I have had fun but this has been a wake up call for me reminding me what aspect I want to be apart of in this business. My interest has always been the hands on creative process. The business and corporate stuff I will leave to others as I am so unamused by it. So in a way I have learned something?I am not an desk jockey.

I think I hear bins being packed?Adios!!!! See you at the CON!!

2. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Are you at the Con tomorrow Jymm or just on Friday and Sunday...

3. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Friday for sure. the plans are set in stone so unless I get hit by a bus the Sock should be making an appearance. Just don't hold your breath because with my luck I will walk under a ladder only to step on a mirror as a black cat walks bye eating a leprachaun.

I am not sure about sunday I may be exhausted because tomorrow I have a wedding to go to.

4. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I will be there by noon tomorrow...

5. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

I met the Sock! Muhaha!

I gotta go get that picture on the net of me with David Prowse, with Sock in the background leaning into the shot.

Ahh.. pure comedy. Gah. So Tired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.