main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ok, so let's hear it. How was the film?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wormie2, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Cause I'm sure some of you 12:01 viewers will be here in a little over two hours to gloat over the fact you got to see it six hours before I did so let's just get this over with.

Come on. I'm waitin for ya.

2. Addie-UK

Addie-UK Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    Went to the star city premiere @8pm

I hate to say it but.....it didn't do anything for me.

The last 20-25 minutes are superb but i found the rest to slow and the C3PO's diolouge was cringe worthy at best.

The whole storyline was clumsy and most of the plot lines seemed forced, god this is painful to write.

I really had hopes for this one, im gutted

The reaction from a good 80% of the audience was much the same.

I'm begining to regret these prequels.

P.S. Yoda DOES kick

3. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Whereas, I loved this movie. I thought it was great. Even the love scenes, which I was really worried about, weren't that bad.

There was one line that Padme says that should have been changed, but overall I loved the rest of it.

C3PO's lines are no more cringe worthy in this than in any of the original trilogy, in fact he made me laugh which was what was supposed to happen I think.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie.

4. Capt. Mentalist

Capt. Mentalist Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 27, 1999
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

AOTC r00ls!!!

Translated:

I was very impressed, after the lukewarm Phantom Menace, Lucas has tapped the vien of the original trilogy with this instant class, great action, and some neat additions for true star wars fans. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

5. SoupDragon

SoupDragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Sitting three rows from the front all the scenes set on Kamino hurt my eyes. Just about recovered enough to type this. I thought the film held together pretty well. Shame they had to drop that negotiation scene between Padme and Dooku.
    Oh and did anyone else notice that alien guy in Dooku's entourage who had the Vader style breathing device on his chest? Lots of interesting little hints and motifs like that buried in there.

6. Dark_Queen

Dark_Queen Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 23, 2002
    This is what my amte Steve had to say about it:

I've just got back from my local multiplex after seeing the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie. First thoughts of the film are favourable, it has some of the most amazing special effects I've seen in a film but at the same time it also suffers from the same probelms that the Phantom Menace did. There's some well dodgy dialogue and it has a tendency to flick far too quickly from scene to scene but that's something that George Lucas does.

It's only when the battle sequences begin and the appearance of Christopher Lee that the film finds it's feet and becomes very enjoyable. The fight between Yoda and Lees character is bloody awesome and is one of the best bits, but for the rest of the film you find yourself marvelling at the special effects. It also begins to mention things that happened in the original films, like the Death Star and why Darth Vader, or Anakin in this, lost his hand.

7. Capt. Mentalist

Capt. Mentalist Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 27, 1999
    Well I wasn't gonna mention the death Star bit, but yeah, seeing as you have I thought that was brilliant

8. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    hmm I actually think this is the best of all of them so far

9. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    I loved it :) Even the parts I was fearing - love scenes and bad dialogue - were not that bad.

The effects were superb with only one or two moments of "that looked like CGI". Ewan was really good as Obi-Wan this time and I thought Hayden was pretty good also.

SW films are never going to be best film or best screenplay oscar winners but for sheer entertainment, they are hard to beat.

Far improved over TPM, which I liked, so no complaints here.

10. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    Didn't enjoy it. It was shambolic. Hate to say it. In many ways, it was even less successful than TPM. The whole pace and the editing was disconcerting - there was no beginning, middle or end - or at least, nobody to really care about at the beginning, middle or end.

Everything was 'just about OK' but as a whole it just fails - tragically.

Loads of gaping plot holes. Like TPM, I knew the story but the politics, counter threats and hidden menace are just BAFFLING.

It was like The Mummy Returns. In space. With Yoda... [face_plain]

I only hope that I find a structure to it when I go back and see it on Friday...

11. AFIdude666

AFIdude666 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2001
    You're all being naff. I thought it was orgasmic!!

12. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    errm it has a begining middle and end, as much as you can do in a film that is only part of a story. As none of them do except maybe ROTJ

13. DARK_SCORE

Oct 26, 2000
    I never felt that any character's 'story arc' achieved anything, progressed anywhere.

14. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    I don't think they really did in the OT either. A ickle bit in ESB and a cr@p progression in ROTJ but that's about it. Lucas is trying to make an epic saga, like War and Peace,when really it isn't. It's just a story that we have fun watching. IMO, Lucas is trying to be too clever and that is another reason why the magic was lost in TPM.

15. sideshowtob

sideshowtob Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 2000
    Two words?.

****in? awesome!

sideshowtob

16. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    I thought AOTC was very very good.
    Some of the above criticism astounds me, to be honest.

I travelled to the States to see the TPM opening weekend, and, despite my fervent desire to love that film, I knew right after the first showing that I was going to have problems .... connecting...... with TPM

No such difficulties last night. Thrills and laughs, wondrous spectacle and now a gnawing desire to know what happens next. Exacty what the doctor ordered.

I'd read some of the critcal advance reviews, and went in nervous of dialogue and acting awkwardness ? but there was nothing inconsistent with OT standards, and a good deal that was substantially better.

faith restored....... addiction, for now, satisfied... :D

17. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    I take it you didn't watch it in the Glasgow Odeon then Dank.

18. DARK_SCORE

Oct 26, 2000
    I saw it at Leicester Square Odeon last night. Anybody else underwhelmed by the sound quality? ?[face_plain]

As the film started, there were shouts of "Turn it up!" Some of the dialogue was a bit hard to make out and, crucially, it didn't appear to be in surround-sound. Now, I was sat near the front but at no time did I feel that the sound effects and music were enveloping me.

Anybody else have that experience either in London or elsewhere? ?[face_plain]

19. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    Two Odeons in Glasgow, OOh AAh

- one old city centreOdeon, a 1950s-with-new-wallpaper monster, where I saw all the OT, and insisted on going to last night, on principle

- one new megaplex Odeon, across the river, with all-shiney newness ? and a ****wit projectionist, apparently.

Of course, I'm not smug about making such a wise choice. Not at all. No, not me.
    :D

EDIT: Goddamn - I've found something to agree with Dark_Score about.... film seemed to start too quiet, and we all shouted for it to be turned up too.
    Once they did, it was fine.
    Maybe its a first night thing ? technical staff have still to get their levels, maybe?

20. sideshowtob

Sep 28, 2000
    I?m feeling awfully relieved at the moment, cause I was at the Quay last night and there wasn?t single problem with the film. They must have been showing it on two screens and I managed to get the competent projectionist!

sideshowtob

21. Lady_Jedi26

Lady_Jedi26 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    tomorrow afternoon ill be in here saying if i liked it or not im going to see it after work tomorrow with my husband we are both looking forward to this cant wait :D

22. sideshowtob

Sep 28, 2000
    I now Cass enjoyed it as when I left the cinema and switched on my phone she has sent me 7 text messages all saying ?OH MY FECKING GOD!?

sideshowtob

23. AFIdude666

AFIdude666 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2001
    It was blimmin brilliant I think. As pointed out earlier, 3po's 'comic' bits were cringeworthy but then, I walways cringed when he banged his head and said it 'hurt' in ESB. Besides, 3po's far funnier than that bloody gungan. And the action at the end of the film far surpasses anything I've ever seen before.

24. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    hahaha

quality Cass patter !

right - I stayed up drinkn' and smokin' after the film last night, and now I'm shattered ....
    time to sneak off home to top up my drink and smoke levels.

see yiz aw later..

::dankdonkout::

25. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Like TPM, I knew the story but the politics, counter threats and hidden menace are just BAFFLING.

Dark_Score ... please, please, please tell me you understood TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.