main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ok, so let's hear it. How was the film?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wormie2, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    The clonetroopers would have Jango's accent because they are clones of him - they have his vocal chords and were probably given flash-learning from him, which woul incorporate his accent.

2. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Damn, this movie ruled!
    Anakin was great, the death scene had me getting sad, and then chills when he cut loose on the Tuskens, the humour was much more OT style, we got some nice 3PO/Artoo bickering, the romance was quite well done for Lucas standards, the end battle kicked arse, even to a CGI jaded viewer, and of course Yoda is the MASTER!!

One complaint: Slightly too short fight scenes with Obi-Wan/Jango, and Mace/Jango. Also, I wanted Yoda to really beat Dooku down like he does in the novel.
    Oh, and apart from the love theme, did anyone else think the music seemed to be either the Imperial March or DOTF?

3. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I've just got back and it was really good.
    I do regret having read the spoilers though, they made me expect more in the final battle but I did think the first half of the film was better than I expected.

My favourite bit(excpet yoda) was the little silence between the flash and the noise of those sonic bomb things. They were cool.

Did anyone else think Yoda's voice sounded different?

4. Darth_Dashit

Darth_Dashit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Yeah i noticed that. And at the end, as Palpatine watched the Clones set off, they played the Emperor's tune.

5. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    List of stuff I spotted that was cut from the script (at least):

Announcement of Padme's death in the Senate
    Obi's analysis of the dart in the Archives
    THAT headbutt of course ;)
    Padme's diplomatic talk with Dooku
    Padme/Obi/Anakin's trial on Geonosis
    Shorter Jango/Mace fight
    Shorter Dooku/Yoda fight

And a quick list of "easter eggs" that I spotted:

Anthony Daniels
    Ahmed Best
    Doug Chiang
    George Lucas
    Corellian YT1300 freighters (a la Falcon)
    #1138 once more (saw it on second viewing)

6. The_Maker

The_Maker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    just got back from the cinema - loved this film - loads and loads of good stuff - have to go and see it again (and again)

at the beginning when ?......a long time ago in a galaxy far far away? came up, someone said - "Hey! I?ve seen this film before"

almost as good as during TPM when someone added MF to Maces "you refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the force?

most talking during films makes me want to hit people but these made me drop my popcorn ? highly amusing.

But yodas little kung fu stance got the biggest laugh

7. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Wonderful. Magical. Thrilling. Rapturous. Dynamic. Unforgettable. And a thousand other superlatives to boot. In short, everything a SW movie should be, and much, much more.

8. Echo_Base

Echo_Base Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    Liked it. But the bird thought it was boring.
    And I agree with whoever sad the fights with Jango were too short. I raised the point at PSA once that the fights with him were far too violent for a PG movie, as laid out by storyboards and spoilers, and it seems they had to cut a lot of it out to get the rating they wanted.
    Dooku wasnt in it enuff. The Yoda CGI was cool, and in Warners in Thurrock, everyone cheered when he saved the day. All the Saber action was gr8, and the last 20 mins were superbly well done, and I have to say, very well directed, too.
    Anyone else notice Jango banging his head when he gets in Slave 1? I dont think anyone else knew why that made me laugh so much...

Edit; yeah, I thought the sound sucked in the cinema too. Wanna go see it again and see if its different next time.

9. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    As for the music, it was suppose to be tying in the old stuff with the new music. Personlly I dont actually like this sound track but I think the Ultimate edition of this soundtrack will rock

10. nemco1

nemco1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2001
    I watched it last night at the odeon leicester square and I have to say it was great. there weren't any slow bits apart from the 2-3 minute lovey moments, it was fast paced and an excellent star wars film. I think people do expect abit too much from george lucas, i mean surely if you watch the star wars, ESB and ROTJ AOTC stands very well amongst them. This film looks and sounds amazing and still has a good story line.

11. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    I still fail to see how the Jedi have no idea how mentally unstable Anakin is..the boy is a loon.

And if I was Padame after Anakin confessed the slaughter of the tusken raiders...I would be out of there like a shot....I certainly wouldn't give him a hug...

12. Curio

Curio Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2001
    It was superb - I rate it higher than ROTJ and TPM. Any niggles are easily blown away by the total mass of coolness going on in that film :) The romance was so-so but not half as bad as I feared it would be. 3PO's "jokes" were actually OK, although I thought the swapping heads routine was a bit lame to be honest. But the rest....just awesome.

Some problems with my particular screening tho. Star City B'Ham 8:00pm showing. 2 or 3 really nasty glitches in the sound system when the audio dropped out to just the centre speaker by the sound of it - only lasted a couple of seconds each time, but once was right in a really good bit :( Also the air conditioning either wasn't on or wasn't set right as we were all being slowly roasted alive. And, despite it being a sell-out the audience reaction was crap. Not even so much as a whisper when it started, yet alone any clapping and cheering.....it took Yoda's appearance at the end to finally trigger some emotion....and then it was only a slightly excited murmer. I'm going to see Ep3 in the USA I swear - they know how to enjoy movies over there!

It says something about the film that those problems didn't even bother us in the slightest - me and my mates came out grinning ear to ear :)

13. Han-ep1-2r_crap_Solo

Han-ep1-2r_crap_Solo Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Top drawer, apart from the fact that the dialogue is dreadful, the acting is that wooden I got splinters just watchin it and the special effects could'nt look phonier if i did them on my ZX81
    You need to watch the originals mate!! Forget this new tripe. Life was sweet before episode 1

14. Curio

Curio Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2001
    You ARE joking I assume? You've obviously never seen the originals yourself if you bash AOTC for its acting and dodgy special effetcs!

15. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    i must say thinking of the OT and the acting in some places was poor, and thats been kind, who can forget luke in ESB when he finds out vader is his father, not oscar winning was it?

16. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    It's still missing something the OT had even though I found it much improved over the first. I don't know what that missing ingredient is though.

17. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    i think the missing ingredient is just that we know the jedi are killed off, we know the dark rises so its just left us realising the next one is very very dark

or i could be wrong, most probably am, so lets say he forgot to add the eggs

18. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Noooo...I think the problem is he's trying to fill holes. Putting all the effort into explaining how we got to where we were instead of letting it flow naturally. It's stilted.

19. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I think the film is great. Blows TPM and ROTJ out of the water. 8/10

20. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    It's still missing something the OT had even though I found it much improved over the first. I don't know what that missing ingredient is though.

The missing ingredient is that you're now over the age of 20. When you watched the original films it made an impact cos nothing like it had really been seen before. These days, because of films like Star Wars, we expect so much more from films. Not just for it to look great, but for it to touch us. The prequels won't because you're all blinded by your affection for the original trilogy.

As for me, I thought it was truly awesome and loved every minute of the 2 and a half hours at the midnight showing. Anyone, especially the Star Wars fans who are now slating it as being as bad as TPM, are obviously once again either expecting far too much or revelling in the Devil's Advocate role.

21. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    I agree with Sam. The problem is that we're looking at the OT through rose tinted glasses, and judging the PT rather more harshly.

TPM could certainly have been a lot better, especially without Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd, but AOTC was a vast improvement. Scenes like Obi-Wan watching the clones on Kamino, with Lama Su saying "magnificent, aren't they?", with the Trade Federation theme playing, ruled!

22. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Oh, and Ben! DOTF was played whilst Anakin was on the swoopbike heading off to find Shmi!

23. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    I liked it. Bit slow in points, but overall, I felt it was Star Wars. I liked the arguments between Anakin and Obi Wan.

24. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    I have to agree with Andy on the hillside run scene. I was expecting a Sound of Music style interlude...

25. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    The slowness allowed for a bit of character development IMHO. In pacing, it was much like ESB.

And what the hell happened to the music? Apart from the new love theme, all I heard was DOTF, the TF theme, the Emperor's theme, and Imperial March, and often at inappropriate points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.