main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Ok, the Fox fanfare? Necessary or not now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by budspencer, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a completely new Lucasfilm logo/opening making its debut with EPISODE VII, maybe even with its own music or other sound effect. The logo we know came around at some point, then got tweaked, then tweaked again for the 3D TPM. Yes, I'm expecting this and for the movie to open with just that.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think the original Pirates of the Caribbean didn't have the Disney logo in front of it. The sequels did, however.

3. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Oh good Lord. How many times are people going to bring this up? Seriously.

The Fox fanfare won't be appearing. Get over it and move on.

4. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I want to see this movie please!

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  5. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    With regards to the thread topic: we all know that once the first blu-ray (or whatever) is released for EP VII we will all edit the fox fanfare back in!.....

.....I have foreseen it.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    or not

LawJedi likes this.
  7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe you won't see it at the movies, but anyone with a decent movie editor can watch it at home that way

[edit]weird, I posted this just as the above two posts were being posted[/edit]

moxlox likes this.
  8. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    It's not going to have the Disney castle sequence with "When You Wish Upon A Star..." for one simple reason: That is reserved for WALT DISNEY PICTURES (which includes Walt Disney Animation, Pixar) NOT WALT DISNEY STUDIOS aka WALT DISNEY MOTION PICTURES GROUP.

Touchstone, Marvel and now Lucasfilm fall under Walt Disney Studios, the film production arm of the all-encompassing parent, The Walt Disney Company. Walt Disney Pictures is just like Touchstone, Marvel and Lucasfilm in that it is an imprint of WDS.

What you'll get instead is something like: "Walt Disney Presents..." or "Disney Presents" alongside/above a new Lucasfilm logo minus the LTD in the last one...if at all. Touchstone, Marvel, Miramax/Dimension in the past never even had that. It will most likely just be a new Lucasfilm logo. The DVD/Blu-rays will have some Walt Disney logo with a castle before the movie, though since that has to do with distribution...but it still won't be the Castle-Wish Upon a Star one because again, THAT is for the Walt Disney Pictures imprint.

Padme501st likes this.
  9. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I just fail to see how an advertisement for the film distributor (no matter how many times we've heard it as the lead in to the title theme) is really going to be missed that much. You mean to tell me once the yellow letters hit the screen, you will remember what you just heard/saw? Personally, I'll be so psyched to be seeing a sequel to ROTJ, that I won't care at all about a few notes before the title.

Padme501st likes this.
  10. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Why?

11. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Good point.

I actually don't see it opening with anything but just the Lucasfilm logo - followed by the "a long time ago...." then the crawl.

Padme501st likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm fine with it just starting with the opening crawl. There have been movies in the past that don't show a logo before they start.

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This is just flat-out wrong. The coda was written in 1953 for 20th Century Fox CinemaScope films. Alfred Newman (father of modern film score composers David and Thomas Newman, as well as uncle to musician Randy Newman) wrote both the original fanfare and the '53 CinemaScope extension.

14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    20th Century Fox isn't letting go of it, just like they're not letting go of their "20th Century" name. The outcry about them selling their classic Hollywood element of film history fanfare to Disney just to make some STAR WARS fans slightly happy (who will undoubtedly complain about every little thing in the movie anyway) would be far greater than some fans complaining about the theme not being at the beginning of a STAR WARS movie. The Clone Wars doesn't have the theme. The video games and the EU books every neo-fan seems to consider as the holy sacred canonical "real" STAR WARS don't have the theme (however when I started reading Heir to the Empire in 1992, I hummed it.) I'm one of those fans who use to expect a STAR WARS movie when hearing that theme...well over twenty years ago. Sure I think of SW when hearing the theme but there are so many other Fox movies with the theme, and actually, with the animated camera-panning-around-the-Fox-monument opener that started in 1994 (attached to True Lies), I don't get a STAR WARS feeling because it uses the static shot (something I wondered about before the Special Editions). SW fans need to get over the box set mentality that every little thing needs to match.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Cuz I want it that way, darn it!

16. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I made a quick video illustrating what the Episode VII opening would probably look like. No where near as bad as people think it may be.

17. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    "I don't really have that much to do." - Lucas

18. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    People really love these movies maybe a lil too much...The Disney Trilogy will not have fox music in it.

19. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Disney still let Paramount put their logo on The Avengers.

20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    In that case I stand corrected, and with a bit of research it looks like you're absolutely spot-on. The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Fanfare#Logo_and_fanfare]wiki[/url] entry reports:

The Fox fanfare was originally composed in 1933 by Alfred Newman, who became head of Twentieth Century-Fox's music department from 1940 until the 1960s. It was re-recorded in 1935 when 20th Century Fox was officially established.​

In 1953 an extended version was created for CinemaScope films, first used on the film How to Marry a Millionaire, released in the same year. The Robe, the first film released in CinemaScope, used the sound of a choir singing over the logo, instead of the regular fanfare.​

By the 1970s the Fox fanfare was being used in films sporadically. George Lucas enjoyed the Alfred Newman music so much that he insisted it be used for Star Wars (1977), which features the CinemaScope version. Composer John Williams composed the Star Wars main theme in the same key (B major) as the Fox fanfare as an extension to Newman's score. In 1980 Williams conducted a new version of the fanfare for The Empire Strikes Back. Williams' recording of the Fox fanfare has been used in every Star Wars film since. Since the introduction of the CGI Fox logo, Star Wars episodes 1 through 6 (beginning with the Special Editions of the original trilogy in 1997) have used a static angle version of the new logo, to allow for the animated Lucasfilm logo to appear during the extension.​

I find the bolded portion especially interesting, and am happy to be corrected insofar as it led to my learning that little gem of knowledge.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  21. Panakas_Dawg

Jul 29, 2004
    It's not about "letting them." It's a business deal Paramount's negotiators got.

Disney is taking Lucasfilm under its umbrella. Not 20th Century Fox.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  22. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    That isn't an answer - and like everybody harping on on about the Fox logo and fanfare, you are not able to answer and give a reason... because there isn't one.

It is the most ridiculous thing to be even thinking about and is rather sad.

23. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The Fox fanfare is necessary?
    How...I mean...just...why is that even an issue?

We're getting a load of new movies, and of all the damn things that go along with that...the necessary thing is the 20 second corporate themesong?
    The detail overanalyzing is getting out of hand, hahaha.

24. Panakas_Dawg

Jul 29, 2004
  25. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    its a mad house!.....a mad house!