main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ok, time to revel my secret project...... Spider-Man: The Fanfilm

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Aug 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Ok guys, I know I still haven't finished The Soft Drink Menace, but I've started work on a Spider-Man fanfilm. We just finished the Spider-Man costume. We ordered a spandex Spider-Man suit that was just the red and blue colors, without the webbing design. So what we did is we went to Home Depot and bought the small rubber tubing, do you guys know what I mean? Anyway, we had a lady we know sew them into webbing shapes on the costume. She also stuffed pillow cushion material into pockets on the inside of the costume so that it would look like I actually have muscle...lol. And we bought a cheap chest plate costume for the chest and stomach muscles. The costume was finished yesturday, so this afternoon we went and shot a test shot of how the costume looks on camera. We shot it in Birmingham, and that's why you don't see any really tall buildings like New York...lol. So here is the still of me in the costume...

http://www.geocities.com/night_sky_vfx/spidermanFANFILM.jpg

What do you think of our costume?

And yes guys, I am going to finish The Soft Drink Meance, I'm just waiting until I get a job so I will have the funding to finish it.

2. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    :eek:

You must be joking, right? Is that really your costume?

3. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    WHOA WHOA WHOA ......
    That is YOU in an ACTUAL costume?

You're pulling our legs ... right?

To be honest with you, I think people (in the beginning, anyway) are going to be MORE interested in
    HOW YOU MADE THE COSTUME than the FanFilm itself. (I know I am) :D

So .... HOW did you make the costume ???

And don't any of you go telling me to post this question in the Costuming/Props Forum either . . .
    I'M JEDITAC DAG-BURNIT !!! :p

4. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    You lie. That's a composite of a CG spidey with a photo background, the lighting isn't right, nor are the proportions of the spidey.

It's an awesome composite, but I wouldn't believe for a second that that's actually you.

-Kol.

5. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm leaning toward believing Jerak on this one.

Kinda disappointing, though ... I would have LOVED to have been able to make a costume like that for Halloween. ;)

6. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm with Darth Jerak,

It's a UFO shot all over again :D Looks good though, but I think there is some major leg pulling going on here...

7. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    ::re-inserts leg that was pulled out of socket::

8. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    DANG YOU ALL. Yes, it is CG. Ok, I'll be honest now. I am having diffculty completely realistically putting CG objects into a real backgrounds. So I descided to use you all as lab rats. :p I figured if none of you figured out it was CG, then I had mastered my lighting techinque, but since a couple of you figured out what I was really doing, it's back to the drawing...err, rendering board.

Oh and by the way guys, if you want to make a Spidey costume, check this place out...

Spider-Man Costumes

9. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Its deffinatly CG, screamed that the second I looked at it. What I had to double check was that the background was real =P

10. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    It wasn't so much the lighting that tipped me off, as the proportions of the spidey, as well as the textures. His neck is far too long with a very broad base, it's very comic-book looking. Plus the texture on his eyes is too luminous, the shadow doesn't seem to mesh very well, I'd tone it down a bit.

-Kol

The head is a bit to small too.

11. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Its deffinatly CG, screamed that the second I looked at it. What I had to double check was that the background was real =P

Oh gee, thanks, I feel better about my abilities. :p

12. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Hows the quote go? "You can fool all the people some of the time or some of the people all the time. But you cant fool all the people all the time."

Dont get me wrong pixel its some very good work and an awesome composite and light matching. Just saying there is something about the spider man that doesnt sit right with the eye.

13. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    pretty cool pixel! yay i have another home depot fan among us! down with lowes :p ;)

14. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    If it makes you feel better Pixel I thought it was rather convincing at first glance. If you played it like the movie and a lot of fast motion or swinging shots you could prolly pull off a rather realistic fanfilm (no less realistic than the real movie anyway)...

15. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Humm, I wish ILM had done the real Spider-Man movie, that would have rocked. You can tell the CG Spider-Man from the real one on the movie. Anyway, I will go back to the original poser model and make the proportions on the body to look more realistic. I agree, when I look at my image, something gives it away as CG, but the annoying part is I don't know why it looks CG or what looks wrong....argh.

16. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    proportions - like I said before.

Surfacing - to luminous, and add more bump to the blue parts of the costume, like scales (I think that's what they did in the movie).

Positioning - try relaxing the shoulders a bit, maybe put his hands on his hips, tilt his head a little.

That's what makes it look CG for me.

-Kol.

17. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Pixel: Squint

What part of spider-man leaps out at you?

For me, it was the eyes. Reflecting quite a bit, wouldn't you say?

And yet, the light is coming from behind him.

That' was the biggest giveaway.
    And yet, I fell for it.

Now that I look, the neck does look a bit weird. Not necessarily too long (I stand by this as a sadly giraffe-esque creature myself), but the base is too wide.

Good work!

18. No-ShadowKick

No-ShadowKick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    What you can try :
    Make a real costume :p, go out in the street, take the same picture as the first one.
    Than you can compare the picture to the finished rendered cg picture as you experementing .

But you probably did this before ,so this was no use .

19. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think the head is too small. That's the biggest problem I had believing you.

M. Scott

20. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Ya, after about 1 second of looking at it *IFOTOS* popped into my head. Looks like everyone on this board is a bit more skeptical of everything now. And I will be damned if Ryan W is actually the guy in the ALD, it is a chick with a mask! I KNOW IT! wait... where are you guys in white dragging me off to? oh the funny farm huh?, well sure I will comply, sounds like good times...

21. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    EDIT: I'm just tired of hearing about it.

22. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Wait a minute! That's not even Birmingham!!! J/K. 8-}

23. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I guess you guys that got fooled weren't paying attention to his spidey model from past posts

LOL

24. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    pixelmagic: one of the reasons you can tell spidey is cg in the movie is that he can move as if he's triple jointed in every joint... if he moved like a normal person he would look stupid.

25. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Lord_Homer, just chill dude. He wasn't ranting. Let it go. Don't get this thread locked too. If you don't like his comments, then ignore them. Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease Man! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.