main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ok, wait...how did they get "Ani" from Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by weezyslob, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    This has probably been adressed on these boards before but in the few months that I have been a member I have never seen it so I figured I'd ask. How in the world did AnAkin get the nickname "Ani" when his name isn't spelled that way. His name is AnAkin, not AnIkin. This all of a sudden hit me as I was watching AOTC tonight. Anybody else wonder this, or have an answer or thought?

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    My name is Timothy. Take the first syllable of the name, Tim and add a vowel that makes it "cute." Timmy.

Anakin. Take the first syllable of the name, An and add a vowel that makes it cute. Ani.

:)

3. weezyslob

Oct 3, 2002
    Ah, but before you can do that you have to shorten Timothy to Tim and add an M so it's more complicated than that. So by your reasoning shouldn't it be spelled "Anni"? Or is it already? Shouldn't they call him "Ana" instead of "Ani"?

4. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    It's spelled Anakin but it's pronounced Aniken.

5. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Better than calling him Anna ;)

6. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Not all nicknames come from the first few letters of a name. Every wonder why people named Nicholas or Nicole are nicknamed "Nicky" when they have no "k" in their name? Or Richard can also be "Dick", or James is nicknamed "Jim"? Andrew and "Andy"? Oh my, the grammatical errors in nicknames are all over! You should be able to assume that after repetition of a name affectionately, someone with come up with a phonetically pleasing nickname. I don't see why anyone should care that "Ani" isn't 'correctly' spelled with two n's. It's not complicated like you say. There is no correct method for creating a nickname. Just do whatever you have to do to make it shorter or cuter.

7. chaos9001

chaos9001 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    Lucas had to give him that nickname...i mean i would turn to the darkside if people called me Ani too

8. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Forever, Ive been spelling Anakin, "Anikan."

For that very reason. It confused me. I just figured, logically, that Ani was short for Anikan.

But after many (un)kind PMs from concerned JCers (obsessive fanatics) I always make sure that my "Anikans" are spelled "Anakin."

9. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Bill from William
    Peggy from Margaret
    Hank from Henry

There's tons that dont make alot of sense, meh.

I used to go by the name Anarchus on AOL, had to ditch that screen name. People kept calling me Ana.

10. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    You just take the first sound and add a long e to the end of it. The novelists, to my annoyance, spell it "Annie." I prefer the film version, "Ani." They're both derived the same way, and it's the only logical nickname for Anakin.

And I say it's high time a boyish boy took a traditional girl's name. We keep stealing them away (Jordan, Hillary, Jody, etc), and since you guys never want to touch them, we end up with tons of options while you get stuck with a shrinking pool. So go Ani! ;)

11. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "Bill from William "

Hell yeah. My name's William and people always call me Bill. It's like how do you go from W to B. They're on oppposite ends of the alphabet people. You can call me William or Will but Bill? That's not even close.

12. The_living_force

The_living_force Jedi Grand Master star 1

Oct 8, 2002
    Richard becomes Dick, hihihihi...

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
  14. weezyslob

Oct 3, 2002
    I'm amazed at how many responses this stupid question has gotten. I still think it's stupid, the whole "Ani" thing, but whatever.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well when you write a space opera epic film series and get to name people, you can do it your way. And then we'll all nitpick the hell out of your work too.

16. weezyslob

Oct 3, 2002
    Sorry, strilo I didn't know you were GL's girlfriend, I'll remember that next time.

17. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    They should have called him Greedo anyway...

18. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    My name's Donald but I go by Donny.

19. weezyslob

Oct 3, 2002
    Alright already, I acknowleged that it was a stupid question, it was late when I posted it and I just wondered. It has been answered you can stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.