main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Okay, I didn't want to start a topic about this but it could affect a great many people.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediMasterAaron, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Actually, that person was an established poster as well. He just snapped for some reason.

2. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Was he? Huh. My mistake. I guess I don't remember it as well as I thought! 8-}

In that case, maybe that's what happend to Gath.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Hopefully, that was just somebody screwing around with his account and not him being serious.

4. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Reading this makes me really sad...it gives me a new outlook on life...

5. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I don't know how many of you noticed, but last night in separate threads in Lit, YJCC, and the Amphitheatre, TheGatherer posted some comments that at best are extremely strange and at worst are suicide notes.

I noticed those topics. But, I thought he was just kidding, or that the topics had been there for sometime. Although the topics were quite distrubing. In fact now seeing this makes me worried for his safety.

6. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000

I just read through his last few threads.
    Some people that responded in those threads can thank God that i'm not a Moderator, couse i would have banned your ass the second i saw your post!

Idiots! Instead of trying to be 'funny' and 'witty', think for a second, your insensitive posts might have had a serious effect on him.

I hope he's ok.

7. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I don't know, it seems to me like he may have planned it. Planned it as a hoax, or planned it because he was serious, I don't know.

Notice he starts by creating the thread "Have you ever thought about suicide?" From there he goes on to ask people what they would think if he did it right then. I think he knew what he was doing when he wrote that thread.

8. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I hope he's alright. :(

9. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Guys, I for one don't think it's right to really go far into our thoughts on the situation. Let's just keep our prayers with Gath and hope that everything is alright. :)

This is a personal issue that is going on with someone's life. If he wants any more of it shared, he will. And going into different disorders and such isn't our job; it may not be the best thing to try and delve into such issues, especially considering the sensitive feelings and emotions involved with The Gatherer.

As towards the perm-banning of those who say they're suicidal: could that be cleared up by the moderation staff?

10. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Riding: That person wasn't permbanned for the fake suicide.

11. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    GriffZ.. No, I'm not talking about who you are. I'm talking about another user (I'll PM you about this) who was involved in some social threads around November of last year.

12. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I hope he's all right too! I don't know what to say, except that the idea of no Gath makes me sad! :(

Jae Angel

13. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    This is a very serious, sensitive issue, as I'm sure you all understand. Here on these boards we establish friendships and it isn't uncommon for us to grown fond of one another. Right now Gath is in a lot of people's thoughts. I would suggest for those who believe in such things to pray for him. I have done so myself. Bombarding him with PMs, while good intentioned, could be overwhelming to him should he log back on.

14. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I totally agree with Gabe. This is awful.

15. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm not sure what to say. I hope that he's okay and all, but if this turns out to be some sort of "hoax" or vy for attention (which is not exactly out-of-the-ordinary for Gath; simply not to this degree, of course. I've stated in the past that as of late, I've viewed him as something of an attention-whore. Past achievements or not, I have problems respecting people like that), I'll be a little annoyed. Whatever is up, I hope he resolves it quickly, and without problems.

16. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Idiots! Instead of trying to be 'funny' and 'witty', think for a second, your insensitive posts might have had a serious effect on him

The same could be applied for The Gatherer. He's being insensitive towards others feelings when he dies, he'd affect his mother/father/relations/everyone's life, his posts might have a serious effect on people HERE, not one person but a lot, i'm sure i'll be affected by it if he does commit suicide(I hope he doesn't), simply because I tried helping some of the people in tracing him, if i was helpful or not, i'd perhaps never know, but he'll have the same effect on a lot of people, does that make him an idiot?

You simply don't expect anything on the internet to be real, it's the INTERNET after all..

17. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Would someone who knows The Gatherer please call him and find out if he is okay?

I am praying that this is a hoax, but hoax or not, he needs to talk to someone about his problems.

Lady Sami

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I was around this morning as Gath was making his topics, and as they were being locked.

First, it seems almost certain that Gath was inebriated (or seriously considering making himself so) as all this was going on:

7:42 am - If I slashed my wrists (and I was already drunk) would it hurt?

I know Gath has had some serious real life issues, but the thing that makes me most suspect that this morning's performance was just that is that, while some of his posts were lucid, some were not, and some were frankly almost illegible, it wasn't consistent. He'd go from what mangled writing that could be interpreted only by looking at the keyboard and seeing what keys were near the letters he'd put down, to a finely typed post, and back. There wasn't any kind of transition.

That said, I really am worried, and found myself wishing that at least one of his threads hadn't been locked, just so that we could've kept "talking" to him for as long as he'd've stayed around.

And finally, he read a PM from me, but did not respond, at 9:12, ten minutes after his last login. For what that's worth, which isn't much.

I hope he's okay.

EDIT: And he just logged in. . .

19. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    MICHAEL POTTS JUST SIGNED ON IN MSN!

I'll screenshot it if you want, if you don't believe me!

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Please make sure he's okay and was only drunk and/or kidding today.

Lady Sami

21. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    No reply from him, I said the usual "Hey" and a "sup"

I hope it's him who's no, atleast we'll know he's out there somewhere

22. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    He just logged onto the JC.

This should be interesting.

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Whatever happens, he needs to talk to people. If it's a real problem, he should let others help him solve it. If this was a "hoax", then it sure as hell wasn't funny.

24. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I doubt many people will be a fan of his if it's a joke.. quite the contrary.

25. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Alright I think it is safe t say he is okay, he logged in here about 7:55 p.m. and as everyone has noticed he is here on MSN as well, so everything is good. Well I am relieved to see everything is okay and I am thakful nothing ba has happened. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.