main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Okay, so . . . new awards time

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Nathan PTH, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    I know there's probably someone, somewhere putting together a decent SW Fan Film awards again, with the "fall" of the SWAFF. While we're all waiting for someone to step out with something seemingly "official" for awards, I propose that we (we being the TFN Fan Films board community) come up with some sort of new People's Choice Fan Film Awards for SW fan films. That way, we can at least have some new acknowledgements for those who have worked so hard on these films, and it won't be a total lark because the awards will come from the actual film community.

We could simply keep track of voting via PMs and messages on a particular thread, since that would keep people from flooding the ballot box. If they're doing that, they're using socks, and it's a bannable offense, so we can keep it somewhat clean.

We'd just need to come up with rules, and whether or not we're making this a "from this year" or "of all time" awards since it'd be the first one of this particular kind.

So, who wants to work with me on this thing?

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I was thinking about this just yesterday, I think it's a great idea. But I don't think it should be limited to TFN (for voting, not for movie-hosting).. my idea was to make it a worldwide effort.. a recognized award between ALL of the different fanfilm websites, to vote on all movies, everywhere.

Basically, get a hold of everybody and make it as close to official as we can by getting everyone to recognize it.

I think the first one should be "all-time", and from then on, only for the in-between time. It might not be possible to do it every year, since a single year may not see enough new films. Maybe every two or three years.

3. darthshine

darthshine Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2001
    That sounds like a good idea, i would like to help out.

4. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just TFN would be too narrow. At the same time, though, it would probably be best to confine it to using this board community for planning and voting, since otherwise we might get redundant votes from different boards under different names.

So, categories?

Since I'm still tied up at school (yawn), I'll see what I can come up with here . . .

Best Film (Serious)
    Best Writer
    Best Director
    Best CG Effects
    Best lightsaber/blaster effects
    Best music (unoriginal)
    Best Original Score
    Best Sound Effects
    Best Actor
    Best Supporting Actor
    Best Actress
    Best Supporting Actress
    Best Audio Production (Fiction)
    Best Audio Production (Nonfiction)
    Best Cameo
    Best Film (Parody)
    Best Film (Nonfiction)
    Best Original Character
    Best Original Ship
    Best All-CG Character
    Best Use of Continuity Character
    Best Make-Up/Costume
    Best Shootout
    Best Duel
    The Pathfinder Award(s): essentially an overall award for breaking new ground, which could be divided by category.

5. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Nate - I'm with ya buddy!

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

6. MasterYodaSkywalker

MasterYodaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Wow -- that's a lot of catergories... then again, the Academy Awards has a lot of catergories. :D

-MYS

7. Lar_1138

Lar_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    why not have an non-message board vote?

A nifty website or something?

and... how would nominees be decided? or would it be a free-for-all

8. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    I know of a site that is working on something that will be just what your after. Although AFAIK there is still a lot of work to be done before its open to the public. But from what I've seen its looking good and I can't wait for it to open.

I don't want to say much more though, or be any more specific.

9. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    Nate! There had better be a "Best non-starwars fanfilm" category, or Hanel and I are protesting (even though he doesn't know it).

Chad

10. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    looks At Tac

11. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I think a website is a great idea, and I'd be willing to donate some of my webspace and time to doing this. I really believe in this idea, and think that it should be a generally reconized thing, not just limited to TFN (in any way.)

I can start putting a site together now if you guys would like... (no not my script that I use for a lot of my sites.)

12. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    Tac, I know what you're doing and I want you to do it and only you so I need some help here :p ! lol

13. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    dude, TAC hasn't even posted here!?

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

14. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    if you look on HIS message board you'll see what i'm talking about...

15. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Lar_1138: Having voting somewhere that doesn't monitor users would give us the same problem that the SWAFF People's Choice Awards had, in that they weren't considered very valid since people could simply go in and stuff the ballot box. With board voting, we could at least hopefully minimize the number of socks in use.

muphicks: As I said, there is "probably" something like that in the works, but while we wait, we're long overdue.

Chad: Yeah, we could add that too. Though that would get us into the question of what would count. Half the films on FanFilmFX wouldn't count, seeing as how they are totally original (like Second Beginnings), but some over there could, like Fluffy.

At any rate, until this comes about otherwise, I'll stick with it.

16. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    whens the cut off?

can you wait 2 weeks :)
    pllllllllzzz....

17. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Two weeks? I can't even imagine what life'll be like in two weeks. (Long story.)

I was thinking we should start by next weekend at the latest, actually, so as not to let it die out like most others have. I figured that in the next day or so, we can have our few people to maintain things set up (I'd especially need someone to come up with some kind of site on which to post news and information, I guess, and we'd need someone to come up with some images to act as prize-winner banners or seals for the winning films). Maybe it can take two weeks before we start.

I still think we should restrict voting to the board, though. Multiple e-mail addresses and such would throw everything off.

18. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Guys I'm all for this, but one thing to consider, if this is something that is to come around every year, there are a lot of films from previous years that would be considered for the first awards, then after that, every year there would be only a few... but I don't think it would be that exciting if it only happened once.

Anyway, don't want to burst anyone's bubble... it's a great idea. ~ If I can help in any way, please let me know.

~DK~

19. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    That was something I was thinking about. Given that the fan film genre is so small at times, perhaps there should be a clause for letting every film compete every year. And if one film gets best film over and over, until someone dethrones it . . . so be it.

Thoughts?

20. DarthKlown2

DarthKlown2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    Hey you forgot one.....

Most Over-Due Fan Film.

:)

Patrick

21. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Klown: Hands down, Knightquest.

22. DarthKlown2

DarthKlown2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I dunno AJ....I can think of a couple that are in the same territory lol.

Patrick

23. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Haha, I bet. :p

24. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    Nate: Just have one award for all non-star wars films...fan film or not. That way you wont have to decide what the heck counts as a fanfilm, and what doesn't.

--Chad

25. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Eh, I'd think that anything remotely considered one would be in. SDNP would count, for instance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.