main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Okay, so . . . new awards time

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Nathan PTH, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Dammit.. too soon. None of the films I'm working on will be out in time! I guess I have to wait until next year to sweep the CG categories.. hehe.

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, I certainly would never make the categories like Best Picture, Actor, etc, but I would love to try to get the best effects.

3. AndyBryan

AndyBryan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    Someone posted about this a few weeks ago. Just to confirm what Macho was saying, TAC, myself and a few others are working to bring you another site dedicated to fanfilms.
    :)

TFN Oscars...Why Not?

cya
    Andy

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    So I go away for ONE weekend, and I return to find that there is a coo in the works.

Nathan, I KNOW you have seen past threads to where I have indicated that myself and several other members have been working on a special website involving a type of FanFilms Academy Awards thing, as well as several other special features that will be a fun supplement to TFN/Theater. Now I see that you want to, in essence, "beat us to the punch" and put one out first.

DANG . . . I don't really know what to say about that. I mean, here I and several others have been working hard on this project for a couple of months now .... working with web designers, 3D artists and web scripters to make the website full of fun features. And and preparation could potentially be completely spoiled because you want to claim the idea for yourself.

And NickLong ... et tu Brute'??? :confused:
    HOW could you not say anything ??? You have known about our project for the last several months. I thought you were fully on board with us.

The only reason that we have not made a formal announcement about the website is because we have been working hard to get it in the BEST shape we can make it for it's official unveiling - which has been tentatively planned for BEFORE the release of ATOC.

Nathan . . . . I would respectfully ask that you PM me as soon as possible so that I can explain
    to you what is going on.

JediTAC

5. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    New awards? Another one?

Hey Nathan, haven't you been reading the other posts and threads?

JediTAC and others have been hard at work with a site devoted to this. From what I've seen, I can tell you that it is quite professional. The amount of work going to it is indescribable. Professional artist and 3D artist were brought in to work on the design and appearance.

And the content. It is better from other sites that have tried to do this, or will try, for that matter.
    I strongly believe that it's a place that will last for quite a while.

6. EagleImagery

EagleImagery Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2000
    Yes, TAC and his crew have been working quite hard on this new site, and it would be a pity if all their hard work on this went down the drain because you guys started an awards thing first.

Btw, the site will be a lot more than just awards, but the awards are a part of it. It will be a very exciting site. :)

7. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    So you collaborate, everybody with a good idea about the awards gets together.

The only important thing I can see here is that these become established, recognized awards.. recognized by everybody, everywhere across the internet and the world. I'd hate to see a dozen different awards ceremonies.. Austrailian Fanfilm Awards, TFN Fanfilm Awards, AMFilm Fanfilm Awards.. the idiotic AtomFilms Fanfilm Awards..

See what I'm getting at? We need just ONE. Personally, I don't care who puts it all together, so long as EVERYBODY in the world recognizes these as THE Awards for fanfilms..

8. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    My vote goes to TAC :D

9. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    I disagree on the "hate to see multiples." Already, we're going to see multiples. Anything done right now is going to be seen as a carryover and replacement for the original Fan Film awards from the SWAFF, or a replacement for the "official" Fan Film awards at C2.

In films, you don't have just one set of awards. You have many, but a relative few that carry a lot of weight. Each tries to recognize individuals from a different constituency. Same applies.

Does anyone really care about, for instance, the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards? Not really. Does that keep them from being done in order to give that constituency a voice and recognition, however slight, to those film makers and musicians? No.

Same applies.

10. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, my point is that myself and my crew have been working hard on this for several months. The reason it has taken a while is because we have comissioned the help of several different artists (web designers, 3D artists, etc.) to create a website that we hope to be fun, interesting, informative, and innovative.

It has always been our vision to create this site as a kind of sister-site to TFN.Theater (and perhaps even FanFilm FX) in terms of it's relation to FanFilms. As previously indicated, our website will include a rather innovative and involved FanFilms Academy Award type feature, as well as several additional features which, we believe, will become a sort of icon alongside TFN.Theater - as far as Star Wars (and other) FanFilms are concerned.

The bottom line is that I think most of you will be very impressed with the website when we ultimately unveil it. Believe me, we have been working feverishly (with the spare time we can muster) to assure that we get this project finished and ready for release PRIOR to ATOC.

MOREOVER, and as I am sure those who have seen some preview and WIP images can attest to, the images and "awards" that we have developed are sure to become visible and, dare I say, coveted icons within the FanFilm community.

And as cor collaberation, I am absolutely more than happy to discuss ideas and such with Nathan and/or whomever else has some ideas. I will say, however, that we have been working on this project for quite some time now . . . modifying designs, layout, features, involved scripting, etc., so further insight and ideas will have to take some of that into account as well. Although, we also have ideas for subsequent additions to the site that will be added at later times after the website's initial debut .... so there is a lot of room for additional ideas and such.

Above all, the website is intended for the ENTIRE FanFilm Community to share in and enjoy.
    I know that most of you will enjoy it. :D

JediTAC

11. EagleImagery

EagleImagery Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2000
    I respectfully disagree, Nathan.

The Nickelodion choice awards are voted for my kids.

The SAG awards, by Actors.

The Oscars, by people working in the various industries.

I fail to see how your awards would be different than the one being worked on by TAC. The voters would be the same people, therefore the awards would be competing.

I don't want to see a 'battle of the fan film awards'. I see no reason to start a new awards program when one is already on its way.

12. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    TAC - oh right, i'd forgotten all about that! :p

you might want to e-mail me the link again seeing as i formatted the other day! :D

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

13. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Here's my two cents,

I could start the 'DAVID NUTLEY fanfilm awards' tommorrow, and say that voting ends on Saturday. I could set up a little site, and maybe get twenty votes in, and declare 'Hokey Kokey goes to Mars!' as the inaugural winner of the DAVID NUTLEY fanfilm awards!!!! (fanfare) But so what. Who would care? No-one. Becuase my awards would have been slapped together, and wouldn't have any genuine meaning to anyone, no kudos at all. Awards only mean something if there is (a) Cash to win :) or (b) The Award actually means something to win and/or is voted for by a lot of people.

At the moment neither JediTACs (et al) awards nor Nathans awards have any 'kudos' at all, this kudos will be gained over time. If JT's site is really exciting and the entire premise is very well put together, then this will go a long way towards cementing these awards as THE ones to win. Likewise, if it turns out to be a lame duck, and Nathans awards are the business, then Nathans awards will be the ones to win.

There are already quite a few 'Star Wars awards ceremonies' kicking around, so the idea of a Fanfilm award is certainly not a revolution (Atomfilms, SkyWalking and the very recent iFilm awards are just three that spring to mind) but the way to take the high ground is to make yours the most coveted. It's pointless saying 'hey I had that idea - stop having that idea yourself, just be confident that the way you have executed the idea is what is going to make the difference, and then let the voters decide.

Most of the fanfilm community feel that the Atomfilms awards aren't ever going to be THE recognised awards, since most of the Star Wars fanfilms aren't eligible - even though this award is endorsed by none other than George Lucas himself.

So what's my point? Don't sweat becuase another person on the planet has had the same/similar idea. This type of idea has been done before, and will probably be done again - but do sweat about making your awards THE ones to win, if you can do that, then the other awards may end up with no more Kudos attached to them that the DAVID NUTLEY fanfilm awards, and may well die after the first year, leaving yours to become the awards ceremony.

Oscar - BAFTA they're all good.

14. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Daft ... I never said that our awards were going to be THE awards to win. what I said was that I have a feeling that people are going to like our ideas and that, I believe that the kinds of things we will be presenting will be something that people will be able to get behind and have fun with.

And I am not trying to suppress another's ideas. But let me put it to you another way . . . . .

Let's say that someone wanted to go out and make a FanFilm VERY SIMILAR to Prelude to Hope or even Storm Ahead . . . even though it was pretty well known that both of these projects are underway and in production. I have a feeling that neither you nor NathanPTH would be too happy or comfortable with that.

Taking it a step further . . . . since Star Wars FanFilms, in principle themselves, ARE NOT subject to copyright laws ... and using the argument that "there is always room for similar ideas," wouldn't you and NathanPTH feel a bit put-out if all of your hard work and effort were lessened by the presence and/or possible PRE-RELEASE of a similar FanFilm?

Look . . . I am NOT trying to stifle creativity and ideas. And I am NOT trying to say, "I had the idea first ... so you can't do it." What I AM saying, however, is to at least give us a chance to realize the fruits of our efforts first ... before we are potentially subjected to the inevitible "TAC's site is a duplicate of "X's" site," or ""X" already did that, TAC is copying him," ... or the most dreaded of all, ""X" site is better than "Y" site."

What I tried to indicate and suggest earlier is that ideas be shared toward, perhaps, a collaberation on a great website. True, we have some established guidelines and such that we would like to (at least initially) stick to . . . . but our site, thus far, has truly been a collaberation of many different people .... I see no reason to stop now.

Does this make sense to you?

JediTAC

15. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't care who's awards includes it, but I think there should be a category for Best Pre-Release Bragging. ;)

16. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Daft -

I loved "Hokey Kokey Goes To Mars"! I thought I was the only one!

17. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Daft ... I never said that our awards were going to be THE awards to win.

Nor did I. The point I am trying to make is that if you have put a lot of thought and effort into your site, and it is nicely done then I wouldn't sweat about anything. The cream always rises to the top. I'm actually not being argumentative here, I just feel there is room for more than one 'awards show' on the internet. (and given that Atomfilms, iFilms and SkyWalking already exist, it's just as well) To a point I'd say it's the more the merrier.

Let's say that someone wanted to go out and make a FanFilm VERY SIMILAR to Prelude to Hope or even Storm Ahead

I would say 'they have very little chance of doing that' since they don't have a clue what Storm Ahead is like, just as Nathan has no idea what your fanfilm awards site is like. And this is actually my point, I don't think anyone is even close to stealing anyones thunder here, I'm sure your fanfilm awards thing will be different to Nathans, just as your's will be different to iFilms, and to Atomfilms, and to SkyWalking. What would you say if Atomfilms emailled you and said 'Hi JT, we've heard about your fanfilm awards site, and wondered if you could stop it, as we've only just started ours :) ' You'd (quite rightly) tell them to go take a hike, and make sure yours was different enough to theirs to make it worthwhile.

I'm actually right behind this idea, and I wish you well, I just wouldn't worry at all about whether anyone else is doing a similar thing. Just be confident that you are doing it well and you'll be fine.

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "Don't sweat becuase another person on the planet has had the same/similar idea."

Yeah, I came up with Communism when I was 5 and the concept behind The Truman Show when I was 11. (Seriously.)

"since Star Wars FanFilms, in principle themselves, ARE NOT subject to copyright laws ... and using the argument that "there is always room for similar ideas," wouldn't you and NathanPTH feel a bit put-out if all of your hard work and effort were lessened by the presence and/or possible PRE-RELEASE of a similar FanFilm?"

I myself know exactly what this is like. EagleIFilms is working on a fan film similar in concept to mine, and he announced it almost a year after I'd begun preproduction work on mine.

Now, I could have pissed and moaned and lamented about this, or demanded that Eagle stop work on his film, but that would be silly.

I do have the concern that "Dorkman copied Eagle's concept" might ring across the hills, especially if his film is released first, but what can I do? All I can do, and what I have resolved to do, is make my film the best it can possibly be within my vision for the concept, and all he can do is the same.

He may release his first and mine will fade away as a cheap imitation shortly out of the gate when I release it. Or mine may get even more attention for it. And vice versa. Or it may turn out that our films are in fact so different that they defy comparison.

All we can do is plod along with our work and do the best we can. In the end that's what's important.

That and having awards to win SOMEWHERE. ;)

M. Scott

19. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    EagleIFilms is working on a fan film similar in concept to mine, and he announced it almost a year after I'd begun preproduction work on mine.

What film is that, Dorkman?

Anyway, I have to say I agree with Daft on his point. Whichever award ceremony becomes respected, people will respect their awards.

Or maybe the two awards ceremonies will just live in peace with one another, I dunno.

20. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    To Daft:
    Okay .... I guess I see your point.
    You make a good argument, and points taken. :)

It's just that, for myself (and I'm sue for several of my fellow crew mates), this project has taken a kind of personal nature to it and we are hoping to have it ready soon. And be honest with me ... if someone, somehow DID find out what Storm Ahead was about and decided to post-haste make a similar film, wouldn't that irk you even a little?

Nevertheless, the point is taken and, for the most part, I agree with your reasoning. I guess I was just hoping to have our site up and presented before another similar project/site came about - presently speaking, that is.

Okay ... brace yourselves ... you won't hear me say this often . . . . .

You're right, Daft.
    We'll continue to work hard and get our website ready to present to everyone for as soon as possible
    (albeit, not giving up any quality issues along the way). ;)

I guess I'm just hoping that people like our website and ideas.
    But the more I think about it .... that's pretty much what every FanFilmmaker feels about his/her film while they are producing and/or getting ready to release it. :)

Judge JediTAC?®© concedes to the rational logic of DaftMaul . . . . . . . . this time. ;)

JediTAC

P.S.( I still would like to hear some of NathanPTH's ideas, and see if, maybe, we can't collaberate on this together.) :D

21. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Two things:

Well, okay, as close to two as someone this wordy can get. :)

On the topic of the "pre-empting." We've already seen that with PTH. The moment we announced a particular concept for PTH on the TFN boards, then later in a news clip on TFN Fan Films (when we heard that AOTC was doing something similar), we found that idea immediately appearing in multiple films and several effects tests. But, as Daft said, why should we really care? In general, it's not "oh, look, someone else has a Force Cloak, damn them," it's "look, someone else has a Force Cloak, so we'd better make sure our overall product is up to par, so we're not relying on just that one effect to carry the entire production."

On the topic of the "multiple big awards" setup, I think you've misunderstood my intentions. By its very nature, based on how it would be carried out, the sort of "People's Choice" awards I'm talking about would not be the most prestigious around. There would be no "academy," just simple fan voting, and maybe a couple of special awards from the SWT-G crew, since we'd be doing this sort of alongside a "Best of..." feature that will be first introduced in the SWT-G16 (presuming I can get lists from Brien and Andrew soon). It isn't my intention to make the fan film awards I was discussing a "huge" award, like when the SWAFF came about, nor like what TAC is apparently planning.

I just think we've reached a point where a lot of fan film makers tend to get discouraged and are asking for awards, and I think it isn't because of arrogance, but out of a sense that positive feedback is really what keeps people in this genre. You can't make money, and your audience is more limited than TV of theater exposure, so positive feedback has to come from word of mouth or small accolades here and there that help boost confidence and allow those less vocal fans to say "good job" with one voice.

The Kid's Choice awards was an apt example not because I'm talking about little kids being the voters, but because the Kid's Choice awards fall into the lull between big awards and can be meaningful for those who voted and those who win, but aren't necessarily the end-all and be-all of awards.

See where I'm going with this?

22. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    it's just like the Oscars and the Golden Globes...

...or maybe not...

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

23. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    But the more I think about it .... that's pretty much what every FanFilmmaker feels about his/her film while they are producing and/or getting ready to release it.

That's it exactly.

And that's really where I was coming from, when you do ANYTHING that is a creative process, you are bound to go through a similar thought process. To be honest, that's half the fun of all of this fanfilm stuff for me, I think it's great that there are all of these awesome films being made that continue raising the bar and pushing us on to do better and better stuff in order to 'get noticed' I love looking at such-and-such a film and thinking 'Oh they're doing that are they? okay, what do you think of this then?

It's a really good creative environment to be in, we all push each other to produce better and better work. If the other fanfilm awards sites spur you on to put a little extra in to make yours as good as possible, then they have helped you as well.

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Noooo! Awards coming while "Young Jedi: High School Student" is still homeless!

25. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Not to worry . . . It'll be an annual awards thing ... just like the Academy Awards.
    As we see how things go, and how many FanFilms are produced, we might even make it semi-annually. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.