main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN OKAY! where will we all go to see the midnight showingAOTC....

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by The_Tymminator, Jan 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    I will see it in Fargo at West Acers 14 Stadium seating but I will see it at the Coon Rapids Showplace 16 with my Brother before he gets married

2. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Hey Jedi76 Welcome to our area.

I agree Ferazel, The MOA isn't really my first choice for theaters but the local 501st has invited us to work with them and that is where they are arranging things. I am going to take my boys to see it at another theater Thursday evening so I am not worked up about getting the best showing environment Wednesday night. I just want to see it. The deal at the MOA really isn't a for sure thing. To be honest we have been looking at other arrangements as a backup but no theater will give us concrete information on a midnight showing until mid April at the earliest, including the Showplace16. Several MNforce Members have been working hard trying to get information out of theaters. So far Jfren and Vader2k are the only ones to get any sign of interest from a theater in a midnight show. Both of those theaters said they will not know for sure until mid April. All the ones I talked to have no plans for a midnight showing at all.

3. jfren484

jfren484 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2001
    I had contacted several of the theaters near me (Showplace 16, Regal 20 in Brooklyn Center, MegaStar Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove), and none of them had any information and wouldn't know anything until mid-April.

So I decided to try contacting the chains themselves, hoping the people higher up the ladder would be able to give me information that wasn't available to individual theaters yet. I sent emails to Regal, Kerasotes, MegaStar, Carmike, and Mann Minnesota (there are two Mann theater chains - the other one is mainly in California and owns Mann's/Grumaund's Chinese Theater). The owner of Mann Theaters actually called me on the phone! (It may have helped being local.)

He was able to explain why no one has any information yet. Apparently, just about every aspect of how a film is shown in a theater is in the contract between the production company (LucasFilm in this case) and the theater chains. Most movies have pretty loose restrictions, allowing the theaters to decide how many screens it's on, showtimes, ticket sales, etc. For TPM, LucasFilm was VERY restrictive, specifying almost every detail in the contract and forcing theater chains to do pretty much whatever LucasFilm wanted. LucasFilm could afford to do this because the theaters were so desperate to get TPM. Steve Mann told me that if the restrictions on AotC are as bad, some chains may decide to not even show it for the first 2 weeks (since after that the restrictions are usually relaxed). That's why individual theaters don't even know if they'll be showing it at all. And whether there is a midnight show is also up to LucasFilm. But the decision isn't on a theater-by-theater basis. If there are any midnight shows, they'll be at all theaters. And I would be shocked if LucasFilm decides NOT to have a midnight show.

He also told me that LucasFilm would almost definitely have the contracts out in the next two weeks so that theaters could begin planning (there's apparently a lot more work than you think in scheduling screens at a theater). Hence the mid-April response we've been getting from everyone.

On a VERY positive note, he said he'd be happy to work with us on a midnight show (assuming they have one), in a situation similar to the one TK171 is working on at MOA: kind of an evening of congregating and talking about the movie, people in costume, getting the choice seats, etc. The theater would be the new Mann theater that just opened off 169 in Champlin. I'll talk with him again in 2 weeks when they'll have more information, and then we can firm up some plans.

Stay tuned to this thread!

4. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Holy crap, I didn't even realize the 16th was a Thursday .. oy!

Good thing I requested time off based on the date and not the actual day of the week. :)

5. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Keep in mind the Midnight showing for Thursday May 16th would actually be WEDNESDAY NIGHT the 15th of May. So all the Premovie Activities for a Midnight show would be in the Evening on the 15th

Just want to make sure we are all clear on that.

6. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    *nodnod* I happily have the 15th & 16th off from the bookstore, and my other job I can take off virtually any days that I want, so that's no problem.

But arg! This gives me less time than I had expected for last minute costume stuff!

7. Ferazel

Ferazel Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2001
    That's good new's Jfren, It's interesting that they actually called you back. Probably to get some publicity to their theater. I unfortunately do NOT have a costume ready or plan to... So I guess I will be going in plain civillian clothing. :p That IS okay isnt' it? I understand that MoA is a "Place for fun in your life" but I don't know if I could bring myself to see my FIRST showing of the new Star Wars in that theater! While I agree the crowd atmosphere would be awesome, but the sound and theater environment wouldn't. Which is a factor in my enjoyment of a movie as well. Again just my thoughts.

8. jfren484

Mar 21, 2001
    Actually, costumes were not a requirement from Mann, but the news people would be much more likely to come if we have costumes. But that doesn't mean everyone is required to wear one. As long as we have a good group costumed, we should be fine, I think.

9. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    I basically want to go to wherever the biggest costume party is gonna be - So those of you making such plans just keep us all updated. :)

10. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    For anyone who will not have a costume for Ep2 you could come in some other apparel.

*cough* T-shirts *cough*

;)

I am not sure about the Deal TK171 has in the works for the MOA. I think his deal is only for People in Costume. This option of Jfren's may be the better way to go if it is for both Costumers and non costumers. We really can not say until we get all the information from both theaters in a couple of weeks.

11. Vader2000

Vader2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 1999
    Yeah, I just e-mailed TK-171 to see if he has any new info on the MOA line-up. My interpretation, too, was that only those in costume at the MOA line-up would be getting the special treatment (getting in first, best seats, etc.). If such is the case, I think it might be a better idea for all of us, 501st and MN Force alike, to see the opening at this new Mann theater instead, since it sounds as if the owner really wants to work with us to make this a big event and allow everyone to partake.

Just my thoughts. :)

12. ChewWokka

ChewWokka Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2001
    I think the Lakeville 18 is the way to go. Big screen, good sound, far away but not too far away from the cities. I saw TPM there. The lineup for tickets was manageable and the staff was very accomodating. I hope they do a early ticket sale on on may 9th and don't let people order them online a month early. Waiting with all the fans was a big part of the experience.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    As much as I'd love to see AOTC with youse guys I've already made plans to see it at a stadium theatre in Sioux Falls, SD.

14. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    I definately think the Mann sounds like a better place than the MOA. Luckily those Stormtroopers fall for Jedi Mind Tricks all the time ... Mwahahahaha

*waves hand*
    You WILL see Star Wars at a nice theater instead of the crappy MOA one..

15. TK171

TK171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2001
    Hey all,

well I'm still working on this.

Preferably, I'd like to see it at the lakeville theater too, cause its really close to home,

but here are my thoughts.
    EP1 We were given the royal treatment.
    2 lots of new/ media present including papers and 93x radio station. Which I know TJ from the half ass morning show, and working with him on getting to the MOA...

I like the MOA for the reason that "IF" its raining, we will be inside and there will most definatly be a long line regardless. good spot to wear costumes and greet fans, and play around with people.
    also Planet Hollywood is there, so we'd have a table set up throught the night to sit at when not perusing the crowds, and have a place to pee, or hang out whenever. also can get a drink or too, dinner or whatever, plust Brad the GM there is a big SW fan, and gives us great treatment whenever we are there.

the theater itself I agree isnt' the best. but hopefully throught the GM, we'll get some free tickets, Possibly even more from 93x if I can get the GM of the theater to invite them.

on a side note, I'd love to have as many costumers there as humanly possilbe, but this is NOT just an invite for those with costumes, this is for everyone. My wife will be there without costume taking pics.

No real news yet of any substanital updates, but I'll be calling brad today again to see what we can work out.

I'll keep you all informed,
    but a back up plan is always good to have. and if you'd rather attend at a better theater, thats great.... Its just an offer for this one.

I SHALL RETURN,....

16. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Why not try to get 93X to go to a better theater?

17. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Hello, everyone!
    I'd love to go to a midnight showing, but I'll first have to check if my finals are over yet by the 15th. :(
    I'll probably end up seeing it the afternoon\evening of the 16th at the IGH 16.

18. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Jfrens deal is with the Mann Theater in Champlin not Lakeville. When I called the Lakeville theater a couple of weeks ago They said they also had no information on a midnight showing of EP2 at this time.

19. TK171

Feb 9, 2001
    OKEYDAY.

called Plant Hollywood yesterday,and much to my dismay, Brad no longer works there..
    Wowser.

but. this shouldn't be a prob anyways.
    the first event we had there during Convergence last year, I worked with the GM at the time, and I didn't even know about Brad. He ended up going cause the GM knew he was a SW fan, and said some 501st group was coming in with Michael Sheard and Peter Mayhew.

we blew the doors off the place, so we are always welcome, regardless who's in charge.
    all the staff loves it, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just have to get a hold of the new guy Tim, and see what we can work out.

but keep the other plans going as well.

more info as it comes in.

20. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Thanks Joe. Let me know if you need any help.

21. Wahoo

Wahoo Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    Wahoo here . . .
    I am still waiting to hear from my contact at IGH Showplace 16.

But just keep in mind, assuming (please god make it happen) they have the midnight showing - I will personally give you a 99.9% chance that they will let us camp out.

I organized it and did it at IGH in '99 with about 150 people - 10 of which camped for 10 days (Including me).

If your want to:

See the show in a stadium theater with digital sound - IGH is the place.

Get publicity and see yourself on TV - IGH is the place (in '99 channel 4; 5; 9; 11 Pioneer press; WCCO radio; Several media outlets from Mankato - they were all there!)

Hang out with some die hard fans - IGH is the place.

I worked hard to make the line happen in '99 at Showplace 16 - so if they get AOTC midnight showing - they will let us camp.

Keep tuned!

Wahoo

22. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Thanks for the update Wahoo.

Sources tell me theaters should know around the 10th of the month what exactly LFL will allow them to do for EP2.
    Just curious.. IF no midnight shows are allowed is there anyone who will not be able to go to an early show on Thursday morning? I know Ms. Femme may have a problem with that. Anyone Else?

23. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    I have no conflict with a morning showing ... but darnit, that's just no fun! Gimme midnight or face my lightsaber! ;)

24. TK171

Feb 9, 2001
    WEll, there HAS to be a midnight showing somewhere.....

and if not, I guess I'll just have to quit my job! errr rather, take the day off. :)

got a message into this Tim guy, but he never called back.

I will be working out more details this weekend on Sat after I talk to a few of the boys at a prop party.( which reminds me, new thread comming)and may even have to take a run over there to meet face to face.

Joe

25. jfren484

Mar 21, 2001
    I agree. There have to be midnight showings. If there aren't, I'll take time off to go see it.

I'll have more info on the Mann theater plans next Wednesday or Thursday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.