main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Old Demons Die Hard - *Winner for Best AU and Best All Around; Tied for Best Ensemble!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Three men and a little Jedi. :D I hope the three of them can keep Anakin from being involved in too many fights, but it sounds like that could be a good challenge. Great update! You did very well showing us Anakin's confusion and showing off the young boy in him. Good job!

2. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    It's great that Xan's standing up for Anakin. Now you've got me curious about who the mysterious master is!!

- Serena

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    OMG Master don't tell me it's Bruck or then again it might be Siri. Or Dooku.
    There I've had three goes at it and probably wrong on all counts.8-}

4. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    [face_whistling]

I think Xan just wants Anakin to benefit from his experiences instead of stumbling into the same pitfalls. Now whether or not Anakin appreciates his efforts is another story. :D

Thanks! [face_blush] And here's more of Anakin's confusion.

There's a big clue at the end of this post.

Hmmm... could be! :p

Chapter 9 ? What is my motivation again?

As most Jedi were still taking their midday meal, the corridors of the Jedi Temple remained fairly deserted. Xanatos could sense Anakin?s curiosity building and mentally prepared himself. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven?.

?Xanatos, sir??

?You held out longer than I expected.?

Anakin?s face scrunched up. ?Huh??

Xan grinned at him. ?I expected you to swamp me with questions the moment we exited the arena, but you actually made it to the first turn in the corridor before speaking up. That?s a great show of patience for someone your age.?

Anakin looked even more confused. ?I thought I was supposed to ask questions.?

?You are. That?s the only way you?ll learn, but judging the best time to ask your questions is also important. That takes maturity and experience.? He ruffled Anakin?s hair. ?You showed much greater restraint than I thought you would.?

They walked on in silence until they came to the lift that would take them to the refectory level.

?Xanatos, sir, what?s the dark side??

Sith! I thought I?d distracted him. Xan cleared his throat and stared at Anakin?s upturned face. ?Uh? that discussion is probably best left for this evening, when we can sit down with your master in private.

?What?s Master Obi-Wan got to do with it??

Xan?s mind raced to come up with an answer that would satisfy Anakin enough that he?d drop the subject. ?Let?s just say that Obi-Wan and I differ on how we view the subject, which is why I?m one of your teachers.?

The lift finally arrived at their floor, and the door slid open to reveal two Twi?lek masters already occupying it. Xan breathed a sigh of relief that he wouldn?t have to continue their conversation. Now he?d have time to carefully plan out what to say. He ushered Anakin onto the lift ahead of him and inclined his head in greeting to the others.

They returned the greeting but remained silent.

Xan inwardly smirked. Most Jedi recognized him on sight, but very few actually spoke to him. This was one instance when he was grateful for the snub. When the lift doors opened on their level, he led Anakin into the corridor and turned left. The corridors grew more crowded the closer they came to the refectory, so Xan wasn?t surprised to find the refectory itself nearly empty.

Obi-Wan waved them over to a corner table. ?Anakin, you?ll have to fetch your meal from the kitchen.? He waited until Anakin was out of earshot before turning to Xan. ?Trouble??

Xan smirked. ?A bit, but it wasn?t anything I couldn?t handle.?

Obi-Wan lifted one eyebrow and continued to stare at him.

?A couple of would-be bullies in the locker room.? Xan sighed. ?One of them mentioned my unfortunate side

5. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    :eek: :eek: :eek: SO MANY UPDATES! And I missed them all! I think I fell off the pm list... :(

Anyway, it meant I now had a nice long time reading, so that was great. And I love how Xanatos has become the major voice, because, well, I just love his sarcasm. They brighten up even the more difficult moments :D

Poor Qui-Gon, still weak and in the infirmary, and knowing about his legs. But still stubborn enough not to give in and that was a great thing Obi-Wan and Xanatos did, involving him with Anakin's training. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about his future now with all three involved in his lessons and even better, guarding him! And they don't trust Palpatine... so that's great too.

But what does Bruck want? What kind of a role will he be playing? [face_thinking]

6. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Woooooo! What a great update! Obi's being so patient with young Anakin, what a great way to start his instruction. Obi's showing a lot of patience and a great amount of wisdom...if Qui could hear him now, I bet he'd be extremely impressed. I know I was. And Xan was a great Jedi too...thoughtful...and unwilling to answer the hard questions. ;)

Very nice! Good Job!

7. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ah, so it is Bruck. Isn't he supposed to be dead? [face_thinking] Oh yeah, this is an AU...never mind. 8-}

I'm glad to see Xan watching out for Anakin, otherwise that locker-room scene could have gotten ugly. And Anakin sure does know how to make Xan squirm. :p

I loved Obi's talk with Anakin at the end, he's so wise. [face_love] Let's hope Anakin takes it to heart.

I'm very interested to see the encounter between Obi and Bruck, I hope Obi can keep in mind everything he just said to Anakin. :p

I'm really enjoying this story, p_stotts! :D Bravo! @};-

8. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Uh-oh....

Bruck as one of the bullie's master...what's the betting the bully ran in to a door, and claimed that Anakin did it....

Great update

EG

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I am finally back on the net with a shiny new PINK laptop. Lucky me had a lot of great posts to read tonight.

I think Xan was smart in challenging Palpatine from the beginning. Make him either walk away or do something obvious to get to the kid, but don't make it easy!

AS for Bruck's little brat... like padawan like master.

10. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    I don't have time for individual replies, but thanks so much for all the kind feedback. I love the speculations about Bruck's involvement in the story. This next chapter should clear up a few things, although it doesn't go into much detail of the how... only the what.

I was going to wait and post this the first of the week, but I figured since I'm in my office this morning, I'd go ahead and post it. Now, as payment for my generosity in not leaving you hanging, I want lots of feedback to read on Monday morning. Okay? 'kay, 'kay, 'kay? :D

And now, on with the post!

Chapter 10 ? My Nemesis, My Friend

Oafie-Wan? Xanatos stood up and turned to face the door. A Jedi knight every bit as tall and broad as Qui-Gon with shoulder-length white hair stood in the entrance. Sith! Of all people, why does it have to be him?

?B-boy!? Obi-Wan smiled, pulled the knight into a hug, and pounded his back. ?How have you been? I?ve been meaning to com you ever since we got back, but I?ve been so busy.?

The white-haired knight smiled. ?So I?ve heard. Elevated to a knight and taking on a padawan? all in one day. You always were an overachiever.? He shook his head. ?It?s been more than ten years, and you?re still trying to make me look bad.?

Obi-Wan chuckled. ?Not at all! Come on in, Bruck. I?d like to introduce you to my new padawan.?

Bruck stepped just inside the doorway. ?And I?d like to introduce you to my padawan as well.? He turned and gestured toward the hallway.

A dark-haired boy about Anakin?s age and height shuffled inside. He didn?t say a word and kept his gaze fixed on the floor.

Anakin gasped.

Xanatos inwardly snorted. Figures.

Bruck laid his hand on the boy?s shoulder. ?Corgan, this is Master Kenobi. Master Kenobi, I?d like you to meet Corgan Twizer.?

Obi-Wan inclined his head in greeting. ?I?m very please to meet you, Padawan Twizer. May I call you Corgan??

Corgan continued to look down and scuffed his foot across the carpet. If he?d had pockets, his hands would probably have been in them. ?Yeah, I guess so,? he mumbled.

Bruck frowned and lightly slapped the back of Corgan?s head. ?Mind your manners, Padawan. Look at Master Kenobi when he speaks to you.?

Corgan raised his head and looked at Obi-Wan. He glanced over at Anakin and Xan then back at Obi-Wan. He bowed and said, ?I?m honored to meet you, Master Kenobi.?

Obi-Wan turned and extended his hand toward the common room. ?Please come in.? He faltered for a brief moment. ?Bruck, you remember Xanatos DuCroix.?

Xanatos nodded. ?I certainly remember YOU, Master Chun.?

Bruck?s smile dimmed just a bit. He crossed his arms and hid his hands in his robe sleeves. ?Xanatos. It?s been a long time. I?d heard you returned to the Temple. How have you been??

Xan knew Bruck?s civility was forced, but decided against aggravating the situation ? as much fun as that might have been. ?I?m well? and yourself??

?Never better.?

Obi-Wan?s gaze flicked back and forth between the two. ?Yes, well? uh? and this is my new padawan, Anakin Skywalker. Anakin, say hello to Master Chun, an old friend of mine.?

Anakin bowed while meeting Bruck?s gaze head on. ?Master Chun, I?m honored to meet any friend of my master?s.?

Bruck grinned and inclined his head. ?I?m honored to meet you as well, Anakin.? He winked. ?We?ll have to have lunch sometime when Obi-Wan?s too busy to join us. I have all kinds of stories about your master from our padawan days.?

Obi-Wan shot Bruck a dirty look. ?Don?t even think about it.?

Bruck laughed and lightly punched Obi-Wan?s shoulder. ?It?s good to know some things never change. You?re still as easy to rile as ever.?

If Xanatos had had anything in his mouth, he would have spit it out. ?Obi-Wan? Easy to rile? Since when??

Bruck grinned. ?Well, he?s not like that so much anymore, but there was a time?.? The smile slipped from his face as if he?d just realized who he was speaking with.

?Uh, Xan,

11. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    B-boy? *blinks* B-boy? *blinks* Oh, i can just hear Obi-Wan saying that too............ So I take it that Obi-Wan was able to save Bruck from that tumble over the waterfall? And Bruck dislikes Xanatos because it was by listening to him that he almost got killed. And of course, Bruck has to pick a boy who bullies others to be his padawan so that he can train the bulling out of him. Sortof like the story 'Xanatos: Detached', where Xanatos chooses Bruck to be his padawan and so on.

12. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    :D They patched things up, great! But I have to say I'm with Xanatos: B-boy and Oafy-Wan, that has to be good for some laughs if handled the right way, so 'Go, Xani' [face_laugh]

And I think Anakin was right with his question. But I'm still wondering what role Bruck and his padawan are supposed to play in this story [face_thinking]

And when Qui-Gon comes home [face_love]

Thanks for the pm!

13. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Bruck being a good guy!!

Awesome! Love it.

Thanks for the PM

EG

14. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Ah, I was wondering if Obi and Bruck might turn out to be friends. I'd love to hear the alternate history of how Bruck didn't die, and just how him and Obi became friends. [face_love]

Let's hope that Corgan and Anakin can get along, it would be nice if Anakin could have a friend his own age in the Temple.

Great update! :D

15. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    The combination of Obi-Wan, Xanatos, and Anakin will be plenty enough to keep Qui-Gon?s mind off his situation. It was wonderful how Xan is stepping up and helping Anakin and Obi-Wan adjust to their new situations. And the Council was wise to ask Xan to help in Anakin?s training.

Xan and Obi-Wan were clever to come up with the idea of asking Qui-Gon to teach Anakin of the Living Force, giving the Jedi Master a purpose and a job to do.

Xanatos was smart in refusing Palpatine a visit with Anakin. I just hope Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon continue to listen and keep the two separated. [face_praying]

I can?t sing enough praises for all Xan is doing to help Anakin. :) It's worrying that Xan feels as though Anakin should be watched every moment, although, his bad feeling may have been the fact that Anakin was bullied in the locker room. The conversation between Xan and Obi-Wan in regard to ?bullies? was priceless?both perspectives were brought in play.

It?s good that Bruck and Obi-Wan were able to clear the air between them and become friends. Although it didn?t look as though Xan was too thrilled with Bruck?s presence.

Perhaps Anakin and Corgan will become friends too?or not. :p

You?re doing a wonderful job with this fic; each chapter is such a joy to read!

Edits: Grammar errors. [face_blush]

16. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Great little update there! Thanks for squeezing it in...Sounds like Cor and Anakin have a long ways to go before they're bosom buddies. ;)

Nice job!

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

Obi-Wan set his mug on the serving table then sat back in this chair and steepled his fingers together. ?And how did that make you feel??

Anakin scowled. ?Angry! They didn?t have any right to say those things to me.?

?I see.? Obi-Wan nodded. ?You knew that what they said was a lie, so why do you suppose you got angry??

Anakin?s anger dissolved into confusion. ?Because it wasn?t true!?

?Do you think that?s a valid reason to get angry??

?What if they tell other people??

Obi-Wan shrugged. ?Does their telling other people make it any less of a lie??

?No.? Anakin shook his head. ?What does that have to do with anything??

?Padawan, I don?t think you got angry because what they said was untrue.?

?You don?t??

?No.?

?I don?t understand. Why else would I have gotten angry??

Obi-Wan leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees. ?I think you got angry because you allowed their words to hurt your feelings.?

Anakin sat up straight. ?But they did hurt my feelings.?

?No, Padawan. You allowed them to hurt your feelings.? Obi-Wan leaned over and tapped Anakin?s chest with his finger. ?You decided to feel hurt and angry. You could have just as easily decided not to let their words affect you.? He sat back again. ?Since what they said was a lie, then logically, they said the words for the sole purpose of hurting you and making you feel less than you are. By allowing yourself to react with hurt and anger, you gave them what they wanted and allowed them to have control over you. It?s called manipulation. Do you understand??

Anakin thought about Obi-Wan?s words a moment. ?I think so. They wanted to hurt me and make me angry. So when I did get hurt and angry, it made them happy.?

?Exactly."

Obi is SO wise and understanding. I wish that had been a lesson I learned - and it wouldn't hurt if the lesson came from Obi-Wan, either. :p

18. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Yeah, Obi saved Bruck, which probably confused Bruck to no end. The Bruck/Corgan pairing does have similarities to "Xanatos: Detached," but not as many as you'd think. Read on for more.

[face_whistling] You'll just have to keep reading the story to find out.

Yeah, a bewildered good guy, as you'll see in this next post. Hey, Masters don't know everything.

A story for another time. Perhaps I'll write a prequel at some point. Although, it will have to wait in line along with the other plot bunnies. I've got another one waiting in the wings if I ever finish with this and Bright Shinies. Argh! They just won't leave me alone! :rolleyes:

Bek! Great to hear from you! :D Seriously, you know we love you. [face_love] I think Bruck was more un-thrilled than Xan. Xan might be uncomfortable around him and even feel a bit guilty for using Bruck in the past... but you'd never get him to admit it. Read on for more. :cool:

[face_whistling]

I'll just send him right over, shall I? :D

The boards sure have been slow lately. Must be spring fever and all that. Anyway, here's the next chapter. Enjoy!

Chapter 11 ? No Rest For The Wicked? Er? I Mean, Weary

Corgan trailed after Anakin like he was going to his execution.

Bruck stared after his padawan until both boys disappeared into Anakin?s room. He then turned back to Obi-Wan. ?Figures I

19. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Hmmm... not liking Corgan at all. Maybe Obi-Wan and Bruck can get him in line. I feel bad for Anakin now! Great chapter!

- Serena

20. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Hmmm... not liking Corgan at all. Maybe Obi-Wan and Bruck can get him in line. I feel bad for Anakin now! Great chapter!

- Serena

21. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Now I feel bad for Bruck. Let's hope he can get help with his apprentice, who I don't think I like very much. [face_not_talking] I hope the Force knew what it was doing when it put them together.

And now I think I actually feel sorry for Anakin too! :eek: Corgan should have kept his big mouth shut. [face_shame_on_you]

Great chapter, can't wait for more! :D

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I like where you're going with this. It never crossed my mind that Bruck would loathe Xan. I guess I never thought of him as being alive or around.

23. Broken_Circle

Broken_Circle Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2007
    Hmm... a superficial bond. Could this be because the right person simply wasn't around when Corgan was ready to become a Padawan but Bruck was close enough? The more I read about him the more the boy reminds me of a younger version of Xanatos. Hopefully he will not make the same kinds of mistakes.

Love the thought of Yoda crawling through the ventilation system to get his information. Somehow I wouldn't put it past him either. Poor Bruck - at least he's not as blind to Corgan's faults as he was before though.

24. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Limited time for now, but I love the update! Great job! Can't wait for more...

25. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Gosh, sorry for disappearing for so long DRL grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

Three chappys to read which was great.[:D]

I don?t know it?s hard to believe Obi and Bruck are friends.[face_thinking]
    But I kinda guessed it was Brucks apprentice who was the meanie.o_O

Ok Corgan could be worse than Bruck we?ll just have to wait and see.:p

Anakin is too innocent yet to know that Corgan is mean.[face_whistling] Trouble is Anakin learns quickly and then watch out.:oops:

Hopefully having three masters will keep him in the light.[face_idea]
    Nahhh, probably not:p

=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.