main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Old Demons Die Hard - *Winner for Best AU and Best All Around; Tied for Best Ensemble!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw - I have to reread this to figure out Ani's reaction.

Too bad he doesn't know how worried Obi-Wan was.

2. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Ah! I was right Anakin is a sithly child and now he is going to keep secrets with Palpy.
    I knew why I didn't like that kid.[face_shame_on_you]

I wonder if they'll find the message from Palpy.:oops:

Xan should notice the strange behaviour and hopefully he can figure it out.o_O

I need more Xan and Obi fix.[face_praying]

=D=

3. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    :( Sorry to hear you were sick, P. I wonder if we had the same, because I was down as well, bleh, I hate the flue! I'm sure it's from the Dark side.

I loved the talk between Qui-Gon, Xan and Obi-Wan in chapter 13! Okay, more between Xan and Obi-Wan, with Qui-Gon chuckling at the side letting it run its course mostly :D He stays a master and teacher, doesn't he?

I was afraid that someone more sinister had bought her, but this I like even better, it's canon and it's not :)

Chapter 14 is very worrysome. I do hope they find out what happened and what Palpatine did. And that Anakin opens up to them, even if it might be with anger at first. At least then they know about it.

=D= Great updates. And I hope for more on how Qui-Gon is coping. He seems fine with things right now, but it must be difficult to lose the use of your legs even with the Force to support you [face_worried]

4. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Poor Anakin!! That kid's gone through so much as such a young age. Good thing he has Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Xan to help him. Great chapter!

5. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Oh dear, Anakin didn't react at all well to that news, as was Palpy's intention, I'm sure. [face_frustrated] I hate that man! :mad:

Great update! :D

6. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Sorry it took me so long to get here--I've had that problem a lot lately!

Wow, what a startling post! Palpatine is an evil mudsucker who needs to go stuff his head up an Ewok's...posterior. I sure hope he didn't do any permanent mental damage to the boy!

7. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh dear,

I really want to slap Palpy with a fish. Really hope he doest'n get his mitts on Anakin.

Great update

EG

8. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Uh oh! :eek: It would appear Palpatine beat Obi-Wan to the punch. I don't think Anakin likes the idea of his mother having a new family even though she loves and misses him dearly.

I hope Obi-Wan, Xan, and Qui can get through to him. [face_worried] [face_praying]

9. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    I think at this point, it's going to take more than Obi-Wan's worry to get through to Anakin.

[face_shame_on_you] Shame on you, Padawan, for jumping to conclusions without having all the facts. A good Jedi must examine all sides of situation before making any decision, as Xan points out to Anakin in this next post. ;)

Getting Anakin to open up will be easier said than done. He has a slave's mentallity ingrained in him, so he's accustomed to saying what he thinks people want to hear instead of what he truly believes. Fear of losing someone or something can be a powerful motivation for dishonesty. I think that was the problem with canon Anakin. He never truly felt secure of his place in life and did what he had to in order to hold onto it. Didn't help him in the end, but by then it was too late to do anything about.

Yeah, but it won't do Anakin any good if he doesn't learn to trust his masters.

Palpy may be a scheming slimeball, but he's as cunning as a snake and has the patience to worm his way into Anakin's mind so gradually, that Anakin won't even realize what's happening.

[face_whistling] We'll see. This isn't the first time Palpy has tried to mess with a Jedi's head. Remember his little tour of the Temple with Obi? He's just subtle enough to appear innocent, but blatant enough to do the damage he intends. :mad: Evil sith!

The battle for Anakin's soul is just beginning. It's a good thing that Xan can recognize the warning signs, but then that's why he's a part of the team!

[face_whistlin

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Grrrr...why do all we writers make Anakin so distrustful of Obi-Wan - the poor man was half out of his mind with worry.

I'm so glad Xan is there and has the sense to beat some truth into Anakin. If he gets through to him, he might just have saved the galaxy.

I hope you're feelig better, Peggy. More soup coming at you - it was really good (no joke, I just made chicken soup).

11. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Yum! Virtual chicken soup -- all the goodness with none of the fat and calories. :) I feel better already!

12. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Welcome back, we all missed you! Just keep your H1N1 virus over there wehere it can't infect me. ;) :p (Pff. Like I'm worried. Stupid, hyped-up media-driven panic. Ridiculous!)

Great post! Poor Anakin, he thinks the universe is out to get him when it's really just one psychotic Sith. Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe having the universe after you would be safer. Anyway, keep it up! Looking forward to more.

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Sneaky Palpy is up to his old tricks again. At some point they will either find the message ir get Ani to spill the beans. Poor kid (eek- I never thought I'd say that about him) is being masterfully manipulated like a puppet

14. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Ah Chicken soup.=P~ Thanks Valairy, my Master needs someone to take care of her.
    I'm on a solo mission so I can't be there.8-}

I decided to go to the Republic and skewer Palpatine.[face_idea]

I'll try not to jump to conclusions where Anakin is concerned but don't blame me if I slip over and accidently knock him senseless.:D

I love Xanatos's actions of jumping around the bed. Hopefully he can knock some sense into Anakin.:p

great post Master.=D=

15. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    *hands over tea and lots of well-wishes*

Wow, sick ánd able to write such a great part, I bow to you! Loved Xanatos in this. And I think it's a good thing his own pain about past mistakes shone through, that might have gotten Anakin's attention more than anything else. His reaction to Anakin's request he not tell Obi-Wan by saying that he would simply stay to the facts and leave emotions out of it was a great find =D=

If this doesn't get Anakin to talk to Xanatos, I don't know what will. But if not, then they can at least try Qui-Gon next, that one sentence he whispered ('That makes one of you') seems to leave some hope there.

Just let him open up to one of them and not go to Palpatine, that evil manipulator! [face_praying]

16. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Anakin had better not go to Palpy, or I'll...I'll... [face_beatup] :mad:

I loved how Xan was jumping around the bed until Anakin was forced to pay attention to him. [face_laugh]

Thanks for the update, p_stotts, I hope you're feeling better! [:D]

17. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    I think it would only be natural for Anakin to be distrustful. The only person he ever trusted is no longer in his life. Read on to see Qui-Gon's take on things.

Anakin just doesn't know how to deal with someone who only wants what's best for him, and now Palpy is planting seeds of mistrust. As if the kid doesn't have enough problems.

That's Palpy -- the master manipulater.

Now, now, Padawan. Let's not be hasty. Read on to get Qui-Gon's perspective on all this.

Between chicken soup and tea, I'm feeling much better. Thanks everyone! We'll just have to wait and see if Xan gets through to Anakin. Honestly, though, what's the boy got to lose. Anyway, if he takes the sneaky route, I think Xan will be right there to catch. It's hard to out-sneak the master of sneakiness. :cool:

I agree with you completely about Palpy, but isn't he the guy we love to hate?

I don't remember who requested my page time for Qui, but here it is.:D Enjoy!

Chapter 16 ? There Is No Such Thing As the Perfect Master? Not Even if He Used to Be the Perfect Padawan.

Qui-Gon looked up from the data pad he was reading to find Obi-Wan standing in the doorway of his infirmary room.

The boy ? would he ever stop thinking of Obi-Wan as a boy? ? looked completely wiped out. Dark smudges underscor

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Qui-Gon inwardly winced. ?Padawan, I believe I may have done you a disservice.?

Obi-Wan frowned. ?Master??

Qui-Gon looked down a moment. Then he cleared his throat and brought his gaze back to Obi-Wan. ?As your master, I felt it was my duty to shield you from my problems. I felt that, more than anything else, you needed my full support. Thus, I decided that I would never burden you with the knowledge of my all-too-human foibles.? He sighed. ?If you haven?t realized it yet, let me put aside your misconceptions of my, er? omniscience.? He grinned. ?No Jedi master is all wise, nor does he or she have all the correct answers in their pocket, ready to pull out at the appropriate time. We don?t take classes in how to be the perfect master. We are just as prone to mistakes in judgment and knowledge as anyone else. Everything you?ve just described, your feelings of inadequacy as a master, your fear of making the wrong decisions, of not being enough for Anakin, I felt every day of your apprenticeship.? He shrugged.

Obi-Wan grinned and ducked his head in his characteristic way. After a moment he looked back up. ?Thank you, Master, but you must admit that you?ve had much more experience than I. After all, I was your third padawan.?

Qui-Gon returned the grin. ?Yes, and you?d think that I would have learned from my mistakes, but somehow, I just kept making new ones.?

Gosh, I absolutely love Obi-Wan as a master with Qui-Gon still around to offer advice. What a trio all of them (will) make... Obi's trying so hard and Qui knows just how to reassure him.

I hope you're feeling better, Peggy. You've been missed.

19. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    It is so nice that Obi-Wan has Qui-Gon to go to for advise.

I like the bit where Qui-Gon realises he wouldn't have been able to train Anakin alone.

Your idea about giving him three Masters, may have been the way to go in the movie too.

Such a powerful Jedi would need lots of help and lots of direction and someone to keep him away from Palpy. I think Xan is just the man.

Well done Master.=D=

20. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Great post! I'm low on time right now, but I like how you're showing similarities between the two Masters. I'm sure Qui-Gon can sympathize. ;) I like how things are going, everything is flowing well. Keep it up!

21. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    I used my experience as a parent as a model for that scene. As a child, I thought my parents had all the answers and always knew the right thing to do. I guess every child does. Don't get me wrong; I knew they were flawed, just as we all were, but they always seemed so sure of themselves. Of course, I found out later with my own children that that's just a mask parents wear. Sometimes I don't have a clue what to do with my kids. I'm so thankful I have a loving husband to help me raise our two terrific sons... and they really are terrific... but also teenagers. *sigh* :rolleyes: Lord give me patience. :D

22. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Wow, great chapter, Peg!!! I love Qui-Gon's advice. Now I hope Xan's not up to his usual mischief making... ;)

- Serena

23. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm so glad Qui-Gon lived through the Naboo incident. Obi-Wan needs him as a sounding board even if Qui doesn't have all the answers. Just having the man who raised him there to listen will help Obi-Wan more than Qui can imagine, even if it just eases the young master's mind.

Qui-Gon is smart in suggesting that they share their decision making with Anakin. The boy will feel more included about where his life is headed. And perhaps it will help Anakin to trust in his three mentors moreso than he does now.

Another wonderful post!! :)

24. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    I'm certainly one of the beggers, P and I love, love, LOVE this chapter [face_love] Great interaction between the two and great conversation. From Qui-Gon's insightful words on how having been a slave makes Anakin's worldview different ( =D= ) to bursting the bubble that he was a perfect master for poor Obi :D

Glad you're feeling better!

25. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    One can only speculate the difference Qui-Gon would have made in Anakin's life had he survived Naboo. *sigh* Alas, we shall never know for sure. :D Good thing there's fanfiction!

I think where canon-Obi went wrong was in not giving Anakin more of a say-so in his training. Instead of spouting platitudes (i.e. - "Dreams pass in time."), he should have tried to understand Anakin more. [face_shame_on_you] Not everyone fits the Jedi mold as perfectly as you do Obi! *ahem* Okay, on with the next chapter. :)

Glad you're still liking the story. Wow! It certainly has turned into a saga, hasn't it?

Let's find out; shall we?

[face_whistling] We'll just have to see where the story takes us.

I often wondered if canon-Obi and the other Jedi took Anakin's background into consideration, or if they just tried to jam the poor kid into the Jedi mold. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Meanwhile, back in Anakin's room....

Chapter 17 ? An Uncomfortable Conversation -- or How to Get the Kid to Spill His Guts and Feel Good About It.

Xan leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms, giving Anakin the time and space to make his decision.

Anakin kept his gaze focused on his lap. He picked at the edges of his coverlet, darting a quick glance at Xan every now and again.

He could almost hear the boy?s thoughts. Was Xan lying just to get the truth out of him? Or did he mean what he said about only relaying the facts to Obi-Wan? What if he told Xan the truth and then Obi-Wan punished him? Xan could only speculate what type of punishment Anakin might expect, but he had a pretty good idea.

Anakin glanced up at him again from under his eyelashes then quickly returned his gaze to his lap. ?Padawan Ilieia brought me a holo-letter after my class.? He gave Xanatos a pleading expression and quickly continued in a whiny tone-of-voice. ?I-know-Master-Obi-Wan-said-I?m-not supposed-to-have-any-contact-with-my-mom-but-this-wa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.