main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Old Demons Die Hard - *Winner for Best AU and Best All Around; Tied for Best Ensemble!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I think where canon-Obi went wrong was in not giving Anakin more of a say-so in his training. Instead of spouting platitudes

Hey, the poor guy WAS trying to be a good master. He's not perfect, you know. :D

YES! <fist pump> So GLAD Xan could lay out the cold hard facts to Anakin - if only in canon (sigh).

Obi IS going to be a just a tad bit upset :D - I can't wait to read that scene!

2. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I do have my suspicions about that, thinking back on the Council's reaction to the very normal fear of a small boy, or Yoda's conversation with Anakin when he was so worried about Padmé :(

And this is yet another great part, go Xanatos!!! He sure knows very well how it works, the sneaky use of inuendos [face_laugh]

I'm glad he did though, because aside from a few mistakes that have to do with Anakin's fears and defence mechanisms from his previous life, he sure made Anakin see what was going on. =D=

And I love how he laid back and asked about pod-races at the end :D

I think between him and Qui-Gon they might have straigthened master and padawan out rather nicely here. This time... [face_worried]

3. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Oh, wow, Xan, I'm proud of you. He did a fantastic job talking to Anakin. Bravo!! Let's hope he can keep Palps and Ani from contacting each other again. Fantastic update, Peg!! :) I am so enjoying this story.

- Serena

4. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Wonderfully orchestrated conversation with Anakin and Xan! I think you did a really good job in making it completely believable, explanatory, and from two completely different points of view, without being to obvious about it all. Really nicely done!

Can't wait to get the next post!

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was a great conversation between Xan Man and Anakin;Maybe if someone like Xan can explain deception and manipulation early on, Anakin won't fall for it....but then, this is Anakin

6. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    So glad that Xan is on to what Palpatine is up to.

7. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Excellent post stotts,

Love the fact that Xanatos is using his "unique" abilities to see through Palpatine's games.

I certainly hope we'll see something of an ass whooping of the aforementioned sith lord at some point.

Great stuff.

I'm not sure if there's still a PM list to this, but I'd like to be on it regardless.

EG

8. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    Man, it took me over 3 weeks to get all caught up reading on the weekends during work....I was jsut wondering where the rest of it was until I looked up at the date and realized I'm all caught up...lol.
    Marvellous stuff!
    :)

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I would imagine that is how it all started with Palpatine in canon.
    The sneaky - no - good - rat.:mad:
    Thank the Force that Xan is on to him.[face_dancing]

I like how Xan is there for Anakin. He'll help Obi too.[:D]

10. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Okay, I can breathe now...I'm all caught up once again. Wow! This story keeps getting better and better, my friend. Looking forward to more!

11. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks, everyone, for all the lovely feedback.[face_blush] [face_love] I don't have time for individual replies today. :_| Too much to do. [face_worried] However, I did want to get this posted, since I'm overdue for an update. I hope you enjoy it! :D

Chapter 18 ? Clashing

Obi-Wan stood outside Anakin?s infirmary room listening to Xan?s talk with the boy. As the conversation diverted to pod racing, he readied himself to rejoin them. The news of Palpatine?s involvement in this whole mess didn?t surprise him at all, but the jolt of anger and jealousy he?d felt at hearing the news did. He quickly pushed the feelings away with the promise to himself to meditate on them later. What he couldn?t understand, though, was why Palpatine was trying to drive a wedge between them. Was it simple concern for Anakin?s welfare? Many people misunderstood the tenets of the Jedi Order and viewed them as too strict and confining, especially for the Order?s younglings. Could Palpatine be one of those people, or was there a more political reason behind his machinations? He set aside those concerns for later discussion with Qui-Gon and Xanatos, drew in a deep breath, plastered a smile on his face, and entered the room.

?You should have seen it!? Anakin bounced on his knees on the bed, his arms wilding gesturing. ?Sebulba forced me onto the service ramp and?.? He noticed Obi-Wan and stopped midsentence. Slowly, his arms came back down to his sides, his expression blanked, and his gaze dropped to the bed. ?Sorry, Master. I didn?t mean?.?

Obi-Wan?s stomach dropped at Anakin?s dejected appearance. Is he really that mistrusting of me? Does he really fear me that much? Years of training kept the smile in place on his face. Somehow, he managed an upbeat tone of voice. ?Think nothing of it, Padawan. From the sounds of things, you and Xan are having quite an enjoyable conversation. I?m happy to see that you?re doing so much better. Please, go on with your story. I?ve never heard the full description of the race before.? He sat down in the vacant chair beside Xanatos and waited.

For a moment Anakin looked confused but continued with his story, regaining his earlier enthusiasm quickly. ?Anyway, I shot off up the service ramp right into the air a couple hundred meters. Sebulba thought I was out of the race, but?.?

Anakin?s story depleted most of the boy?s energy reserves, so by the time he finished speaking, he could hardly keep his eyes open.

Obi-Wan covered him with a light blanket. ?Rest, Padawan. You?ve had quite a day.?

Anakin yawned. ?Can?t I rest in our quarters, Master??

Obi-Wan ruffled the boy?s short, spiky hair. ?Tomorrow. Healer Trokai wants to keep you overnight for observation? just as a precaution. If you have a quiet night, he?ll release you in the morning.?

Anakin eyes had already closed, but he nodded and rolled over on his side.

?No whining or pleading,? Xan whispered. ?That?s a first. He really must be exhausted.?

Obi-Wan ignored the teasing remark and stood up. ?Would you mind joining me in Qui-Gon?s room? We need to talk about how to handle Palpatine?s interference. I don?t want to alienate the Chancellor, but I also don?t want a repeat of what happened today.?

Xanatos scowled. ?I agree.?

Knowing Xan?s less-than-stellar opinion of Palpatine, Obi-Wan suspected his friend agreed more with the second part of his statement than the first.

The two strolled down to Qui-Gon?s infirmary room where they found him awake and sitting up in bed. He looked up at their entrance. ?I?ve been expecting the two of you. Come in and make yourselves comfortable. I assume you?re here to discuss Chancellor Palpatine.?

Xan pulled over a chair and sat down. ?You assume correctly.?

Obi-Wan wasn?t a bit surprised that Qui-Gon was exactly in tune with their thoughts. The Living Force made him so empathic that, more often than not, he could pick up on what anyone was thinking.

Obi-Wan placed his chair next to Xan and sat down as

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

?Of course, I don?t mean a physical skewering.? He glanced over at Xanatos.

Xan slouched in his seat and crossed his arms. ?Pity.? He sighed heavily. ?Oh well, I guess it would be too messy at that.?

Obi-Wan shook his head, determined not to encourage him any further. ?I was referring to a figurative skewering delivered by someone with the authority to back it up.?

Xan suddenly doubled over in laughter.

Obi-Wan exchanged a knowing grin with Qui-Gon. With Xan?s irreverent sense of humor, there was no telling what he found so amusing.

After a few moments, Xan straightened up with a deep sigh and wiped the tears from his eyes. ?Sorry, Obi.? He didn?t look the least bit sorry. ?Your?.? He chuckled. ?Your words conjured up a mind picture of Yoda shoving Windu head-first up Palpatine?s?.?

?Xan!? Obi-Wan fought valiantly to keep from smiling, but it was a losing battle. ?Be serious!?

Xan shot him a mock-dirty look. ?Spoil-sport.?

[face_laugh]

Loved that.

Obi-Wan glanced over at Xanatos. ?What?s your opinion?? He grinned. ?I know you have one.?

Xan returned the grin. ?You know, little brother, opinions are like posteriors?.?

?Everyone has one, and they all stink,? he and Obi-Wan recited together. Both men chuckled.

Okay, that's a double [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Xan crossed his arms. ?You ruin all my fun, little brother.? He waggled his eyebrows. ?Since we can?t do anything about Palpatine right now, let?s move on to something we can do something about, such as how to deal with Anakin?s insecurities.?

What about Obi's insecurities as relates to Anakin (chapter beginning) :_|

Having all three adults support each other and Anakin, with their varying perspectives and thoughts, HAS to be a good thing. I like how you interweave all three personalities and how each how something unique to offer.

13. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007

Xanatos smirked. ?How about a message attached to the blunt end of a lightsaber? That should get his attention.?

?Xan,? Obi-Wan scolded.

Xanatos shot him an innocent look. ?What??

Qui-Gon chuckled. ?As persuasive as that approach might be, we can?t exactly go around skewering the Supreme Chancellor.?

Qui-Gon's statement gave Obi-Wan an idea. ?I don?t know. I think Xan may just be onto something.?

Qui-Gon lifted one eyebrow in silent inquiry.

?Of course, I don?t mean a physical skewering.? He glanced over at Xanatos.

Xan slouched in his seat and crossed his arms. ?Pity.?

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Oh my gosh, that was HILARIOUS!!! Fantastic dialogue in this chapter. One of my favorite ones so far. Great job, Peg! =D=:)

- Serena

14. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Nice update! I like how the three of them are catching on to the idea of what Palpatine is...or could be. I was struck by how much good modification could come of Anakin's training under the three men--I wish Ep 1 was like this. :D Great job!

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Xanatos smirked. ?How about a message attached to the blunt end of a lightsaber? That should get his attention.?

I knew why I love Xani, he thinks exactly like I do.o_O

Qui-Gon chuckled. ?As persuasive as that approach might be, we can?t exactly go around skewering the Supreme Chancellor.?

Oh no Qui-Gon, now your the spoil-sport.:p

I'm liking the fact that they all get a headache when they're around palpy.
    They may discover he's not a nice person yet. I thought of a few unpleasant words I could have used, but I know it's not nice to swear.[face_idea]

Great Jedi think alike. [:D]

16. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Great update, P, I especially loved the banter between Xanatos and Obi-Wan, that was priceless [face_laugh]

But it's a good thing they went to Qui-Gon for the discussion, because it got a little nasty there. Qui-Gon didn't minch words, did he, but it's what they needed to hear [face_devil]

They work really well together, bouncing off ideas and opinions between the three of them. And hopefully their suspicion of Palpatine will grow!

Now all we need is for Anakin to trust Obi-Wan again.

17. MasterLexie

MasterLexie Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2009
    I just sat down and read the whole thing and I must say it is amazingly well written. There has never been one dull moment. I'll admit that what first drew me to the story was how much I adore Xan. You write him very well. Oh, and the Xaniwan is just superb.

I have been with this story every step of away. I was worried about Obi-Wan when he was near death in the beginning, but insanely happy that Xan happened to be the one who bought him. I was sad when Hermano was killed. I was freaking when Obi-Wan was given that mind-altering drug. I was nearly jumping for joy when Xan and Obi developed a strong bond. I'm also happy Anakin essentially has 3 masters. And so much more...

I think Obi-Wan should share some of his experiences with Anakin. I think it will help them bond. I mean, yeah Anakin was a slave, but I never got the impression that he was beaten or anything and was moderately well treated for a slave. Obi-Wan has been beaten into submission, been kidnapped and given a mind-altering drug that made him him doubt everything and gave him horrible memories, was nearly killed with lightning...need I go on? And that's just in this story!

I'm not trying to belittle what Anakin went through as a slave, but when you think about it, Obi-Wan has been through worse. Obi-Wan has always had an issue with opening up to people, especially Anakin, and I think that is a big part of the rift that grew between them in canon. If he can share his experiences with Anakin (well, some of them, the kid is only 9 and you don't want to expose him to too much) it will be a big step in creating a solid relationship.

I hope you bring Patri back at some point I really like her.

Oh and damn Palpatine!!! I'm glad they have Xan to help deal with that.

Great job so far, can't wait for more!

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Congrats, Peggy, on qualifying for Best Author - a well deserved nom! Best of luck [face_good_luck].

Is it strange to be up against your padawan?

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Loved the comedic interlude with Xan and Obi. Why can't Master Yoda take Master Windu and shove him...?

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Duel at dawn my friend? ;)

Qualified for Best AU and Best Ensemble and Best All Around and Best Child (Anakin) not to mention Best Canon for The Bright Shinies AND - tah dah! BEST AUTHOR!

You deserve all the accolades you received. I wish you the very best of luck. [face_good_luck]

21. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    Good stuff...I wonder if Qui Gon's abilities will increase in sensitivity due to current physical predicament? :confused:

Can't wait for Palpatine to get his... ;)

22. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Obi-Wan handled himself well when he entered Anakin's room. He allowed Anakin the freedom to just be himself as Xan had done. :)

Anakin is a lucky boy to have three guardians (two of whom are not afraid to fight for the boy's best interest regardless of what happens to them) who all care for his well-being and want the best for him. I hope Obi-Wan gains a little more of his mentor's maverick ways. He's going to need it where Anakin's training is concerned. :D

I liked the banter between Xan and Obi...banter between them is always a wonderful thing!

Congratulations on your nominations! =D=

23. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Valairy_Scot - I'm glad I could make you laugh. I had fun writing the banter. Xan is always fun to write. He's so irreverent and unconventional, you never know what will come out of his mouth next. :D Oh and is a duel at dawn really necessary. I'm such a horrible shot, I'd probably miss you and kill some innocent bystander, thus setting off a chain of events that.... Anyway, I think I'll just let the voters decide. Either way, you're a great author in my book, and I'll be the first to congratulate you if you win.

JediXmanSerenaKenobi - I'm glad you enjoyed it, Serena.

Jedi Perigrine - I wish Ep 1 had gone more this way too. *sigh* I guess George was sort of confined to what he could and couldn't write, due to the fact that Anakin had to turn somehow. Personally, I wish he could have achieved that goal without killing Qui-Gon. [face_worried]

Gkilkenny - Why thank you, Padawan. I'm always happy to make your day. It's what all good masters strive for. [face_whistling]

Seremela - I like the way you think. Somehow, though, I think it will take time to truly earn Anakin's trust. Being a slave doesn't exactly train one to trust anyone implicitly.

MasterLexie - Thank you, Lexie, and welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying the story thus far. Please let me know if you wanted to be added to the PM list.

PadawanKitara - I know! It might make Mace a bit more humble... or not. Who knows? Being the "blade of the Jedi" might make him even more obnoxious. ;)

DarkATX - I'm glad you're still reading and enjoying this. Just wait. It gets even better!

bek - Yes. Anakin is one fortunate young man, even if he doesn't realize that yet. I've always been of the opinion that the Council made a huge mistake in allowing Obi-Wan to train Anakin by himself. He should have been a joint project of the Council, or at least Obi and Yoda.

Just a few more chapters left to wrap this part up, then I'll start posting the sequel on The Saga board. I really should have started the sequel with the encounter on Naboo, but... oh well. What's done is done, I guess. Anyway, here's a nice long post. Enjoy!

Chapter 19 ? Caught

Leaving Qui-Gon to rest, Xan walked Obi-Wan back to Anakin?s room. ?I?m going up to your quarters and retrieve that holo-letter.?

Obi-Wan gave him a look that Xan couldn?t quite decipher. He almost looked sad, or maybe he was just exhausted. ?They?re you?re quarters, too, Xan.?

The words caused a warm glow to spread through his body. Heat suffused his face. Xan looked down at the floor. ?Yes? er? well, I want to see for myself exactly what Palpatine said.?

Obi-Wan nodded. ?I?d be interested in hearing it myself, but right now I want to make sure I?m with Anakin when he awakens. Tomorrow morning, after the healers release him, we?re all going to sit down with Qui-Gon and have a long discussion. I want to avoid future episodes like this last one if at all possible.?

?I agree. Above all else, Anakin needs to feel secure of his place, not only with the Jedi, but with us as well.? He glanced down at his hands a moment. ?You know, you might want to tell Anakin about your time spent as a slave.? He brought his gaze back up to meet Obi-Wan?s. ?I know you only spent a month in captivity, but it might reassure him that you at least have an idea of what his old life was like.?

Obi-Wan looked pensive. ?Perhaps.? He shook his head and lowered his gaze to his lap. ?It?s still a bit? unsettling to talk about it, especially the?.? He swallowed hard but didn?t continue.

Xan patted Obi-Wan?s shoulder. He was intimately familiar with Obi-Wan's medical records from that incident. ?I know, but think about it. I?ll be back as soon as I view the letter.?

Xanatos exited the healing wing and headed for the lift bank that would take him to their living quarters. Lucki

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh and is a duel at dawn really necessary. I'm such a horrible shot, I'd probably miss you and kill some innocent bystander, thus setting off a chain of events that....

[face_laugh] I'm a terrible shot, too, so the duel is off. ;) May the best author win - oh, in that case, my congratulations on Best Author.

Great update. So, Palps is working on Corgan like he did on Adi's padawan and tried on Obi, I bet.

Great update.

25. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    ACK!!! Wow, that was a wild chapter. I can't wait to read more - you've got me on the edge of my seat! Great job, Peg! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.