main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Old Doom based games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moosemousse, Jul 17, 2015.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The other day I heard about a new game called Ziggurat, which looks awesome, and I kept seeing it compared to Hexen. I loved Hexen 2 and I thought it'd be fun to revisit the series and record a Let's Play for youtube. Being an old series, it's based on the original Doom engine, and it's kind of limited in some aspects. Playing some of Heretic to test out my recording software I did have a lot of fun so the game still holds up well so I'm not looking to change the game with mods. I've heard there are improved Doom engines that add things like gamepad support but I don't know anything about those. Maybe we could use this thread as a tips and tricks thread to make the most of these old Doom engine games? I can't be the only one who grew up with these games and wants to relive their retro glory, right?

Oh, and a link for Ziggurat: http://www.milkstonestudios.com/games/ziggurat/

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I recommend the ZDoom port (http://www.zdoom.org) or it's GZDoom spinoff for the many intriguing things modders have been able to do with the old Doom source. Check Doomworld for other source ports and mods. The community is extremely lively!

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    One thing I like about GZDoom, and probably ZDoom as well, is that I can make the game run in full HD! They still look like old games but in full HD they are amazing. There's a weird bit in the bottom corners where the health bar doesn't quite fit across but apart from that it's awesome. They are great games and it's a shame that people are missing out because they're so old.

thejeditraitor likes this.