main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Old Games on New Computers

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by YoungJedi11, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Off topic: Good to see other fans of retro/classic gaming in these Halls.

On topic: And knowledgable as well ;)

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Would scumm work for my rebel assults, anyone?

No. It's only for LEC point & click adventures.

Your best bet, though tricky, looks like partitioning your hard drive and having MS-DOS6 on it for dual boot, as I've seen nothing on google to suggest how to play RA / RA2 on XP.

3. Jedi_Solo

Jedi_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Dang. Dont want to mess with a dual boot. I'll have to dig up an old thrift shop PC.

4. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    I just put WC: Prophecy on my computer. i have never put it on the 2ghz one, so i was a bit shocked to find all the cinamatics running at twice the speed of normal. the game plays just fine, its just that the videos are unwatchable.

anysuggestions?

5. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Get moslo. You'll need to slow your system way down to play any Wing Commander game. Have fun!

6. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Hey all, Fluke_Groundrunner posted a question in another thread, but I thought one of you here might be able to answer it:

I can't install it. When I try to run the install from the CD, nothing happens. Anybody else have problems like that with Force Commander?

7. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    It should be noted here that he's also running XP with a GF4. I've got no idea why there'd be any problems. Perhaps I will install XP on a spare hard drive this weekend and give some of these games a try.

8. sellars1996

sellars1996 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    jp-30, thanks so much for the link on scumm. I had tried for years with no luck to get DOTT and Sam and Max to play with sound. (I have an emachines computer that is 3 years old, Windows 98. But even on an older 486 machine I had using a bootdisk, I could not get the sound for those games to work.) I had given up on those games, but recently got DOTT working with full sound. With your help, I got Sam and Max to play with full sound. Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone have any idea how I could get the sound for Rebel Assault to work on a Windows 98 machine? The game plays but is not fun without sound.

9. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Can somebody help me? I just found my FATE OF ATLANTIS game and decided to try it out. I put it in the computer, double-clicked the ATLANTIS.EXE file, and started the game up. The music plays (though I have to turn the speakers way up), but all the dialogue cuts out after about the first word. I downloaded ScummVM 4.1 and added ATLANTIS to it like it says, but the dialogue still cuts out. Indy just stands there in the attic, and after his mouth's done moving, I can't do anything. I can't move the cursor, but if I hit the ESC key, it jumps to Indy returning to the office where the two men are waiting, then nothing can be done there either.

What can I do? I haven't played this game in six years or more, and I'd love to get back into it. Thanks.

And I just ordered DARK FORCES from Amazon the other day, so will I have the same problems as above when I try to play it?

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    As the dark forces & indy engines are different, you might be fine.

As for the indy problem, it sounds like a soundcard conflict. Maybe you need to tweak your soundcard settings?

I'll do a bit of research for you when I get the chance over the weekend though.

11. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    About the Wing Commander Prophecy problem:

Not sure, but it might be the same problem I had. The solution that I ended up using was to go into Windows Device Manager, edit the properties for my sound card, and turn down the sound hardware acceleration. I have no idea why that worked, but I found the solution on some Origin or EA tech site.

12. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    I finally got the dialogue to sound. I messed around with ScummVM some more and finally got it to work.

Man, it's great to be playing this again. I'd forgotten how much it was. This time I'm gonna beat it! :)

13. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    I'm too lazy to go back and check, but to whomever posted the links to ScummVM and what-not.

You rule.

I booted up Sam & Max last night...

Oh how I've missed that hyperkinetic rabbity thing...

14. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Okay, now I need help. Last night on FATE OF ATLANTIS I got all the way up to rescuing Sophia from the dungeon. And everytime we try to walk through the door (the one you use the chains to yank open), a screen comes up and says something like "console ready" and "type 'exit' to return to game." When I type exit, it closes the game and kicks me back to the desktop.

I thought that ScummVM said FOA would be playable all the way to the end, but is it one of the games that's only 85% beatable with the current version of ScummVM? If so, when will the next version be out that will let me finish FOA through to the end? I'm so close!

15. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    Do you think I'll be able to get TIE Fighter or X-Wing to work on a Windows 200 PC?

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    1. You should report that error to the scummvm people! It won't get fixed if you don't report it. The site claims game is playable to the end; http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php?details=atlantis

You have DL'd the lastest scummVM release, right?

2. Yes, it should be able to be done with the compatibility settings etc. Tie Fighter may not allow 3d acceleration, but on new PC's that's not really an issue. Try the Totally Games forums for help on this;
    http://pub30.ezboard.com/bofficialtotallygamesboard

17. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Ah, I see that's why. That link says "Version 5," and mine is "Version 4.2." But at the downloads page (http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php), I don't see the V.5. Where do I get that version?

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nah. 4.2 is the latest. v5 must refer to something else. Report it!

Also there's another scummVM type application called LEC Quickneasy (or smething). Maybe try that one?

19. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Quick&Easy does the same, too. I just posted about the problem on their forum, since I couldn't find anyway to actually contact them.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well if the game has exactly the same problem using both Quickneasy AND scummVM, it looks to me like your game is corrupt.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the game itself? Or finding another PC with DOS and seeing if it has the same issue when running standalone?

21. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    I took the game off and put it back on, but still had the same problem. I can try it on my brother's computer when he gets home from school and see what happens.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Try disabling the music / speech etc from a few scenes back, and see if you can get past that spot, then re-enable the sound.

23. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Anyone else get the feeling this has become a "jp-30: You're a God and a PC GREEK; Please help me!" thread?

:p ;) :D

24. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    Yup
    Thanks for the link JP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.