main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Old member feels like a new member

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Jim, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim

Jim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 1998
    Wow. I haven't been to TF.n in ages, and was amused to find my login still worked. I joined around when the site was first created. Looks like it's grown up a bit! Looking forward to digging in to see what's what. Cheers.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    1998?! That has to be the earliest member date that I have ever seen on here!

So, welcome back, and what are your Star Wars interests?

3. Jim

Jul 8, 1998
    I think I actually joined in late 1997, but IIRC there was a server crash and move or something like that that wiped out a ton of posts and so forth, and the reboot set everyone's join dates to 1998. It's been a while, so I don't remember for sure. If there are still archive threads hereabouts, I'll dig through those.

I was a kid of the 70s, so I really grew up with the classic trilogy. The prequels aren't my cup of tea, but I do love the Clone Wars show. Books, novels, games, music of the saga are all interests too. Thanks for the welcome!

4. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Old usernames smell like cabbage.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome back Jim! :)

Maybe the glossary helps you a bit. Under the letter "T" you'll find that the crash happened in Oktober 1998 and you can read a bit about the golden age. :)

Enjoy your stay and don't go away for that long again! ;) :)

6. Jim

Jul 8, 1998
    Thanks for the link, Skiara. I do remember those good old days, when a bunch of us hit 1,000 posts and the boards themselves eventually hit 1,000,000 posts. Small potatoes compared to now. :)

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    In comparision, for sure. For that time - a lot! :D

I just wonder if I was here when the boards hit 1,000,000 or if it were 10,000,000. :confused:

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Welcome back! :D

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome back!! July '98 is definitely in the group of oldest usernames I've seen :D You should stick around!

10. Jim

Jul 8, 1998
    Thanks for the welcomes! I think I'll stick around a while. Plenty of material to review. :)

11. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Welcome back, Jim! My memory is a little rusty, but I think I remember seeing your posts when I first joined.

As far as I recall, the JC as we know it started out in July of '98. The "Great Server Crash" you mentioned happened around October of that year. There may have been some kind of board during the "Texas A&M Star Wars Site" days, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Looking at your post history, I found out where I remembered you from: You were one of the few people to reply to my old The Worder Saga spamfest. :p

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    What are the the "Texas A&M Star Wars Site" days? Never heard of them. :confused:

13. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    From Wikipedia:

"TheForce.Net is a Star Wars news site. It has material related the movies and associated games, publications, and other merchandise (the "Expanded Universe"). It originally began in 1996 as the "Star Wars Site At Texas A & M", founded by Scott Chitwood and Darin Smith."

Here's a link via the Wayback Machine: Star Wars Page at Texas A&M. Doesn't look like they had forums at the time.

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks a lot! That's really interesting. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.