main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Old movie theaters and such

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Jan 20, 2013.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

This is the old movie theater in my town, that was torn down in 1988. I saw films like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Gremlins, Rocky IV, The Goonies, and other 1980s films that have slipped my mind at the moment here. Currently, this area is home to a hair salon and a walkway to a parking lot. For a movie theater, my town has a two-screener in a strip mall down the road.

(Geesh, they just had to take a picture of the place when Annie was playing? What, were they too lazy to do that when The Wrath of Khan was playing?)

Post pics of the movie theaters you went to, and what movies you saw there.

Debo likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Couldn't find a picture of the actual theater but I found a picture of an old ticket stub:

[​IMG]

Theaters were owned by the same company. I saw Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, all the Brat Pack movies and several Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th movies there. Some of the movies I didn't actually watch, because I was with a guy and we took the back seats and...well...yeah.

Both theaters are torn down now.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    [​IMG]

This is the Oriental Theater, built and opened in 1927. It still stands..

[​IMG]

inside

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It holds the record for the longest continual showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Starting in 1979 it played as a midnight show every Saturday. In the 80's I spent a great number of Saturdays there including dressing up as Magenta. :p It still plays but once every couple months.

DarthBreezy and Billy_Dee_Binks like this.
  4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I was at a few of those Rocky Horror nights at the Oriental in the mid 90s and later lived two blocks away for a while.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I saw The Empire Strikes Back, among others, at the RKO Keith's in Flushing, New York. It's been closed for decades but is still standing. A few pictures fro its heyday:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And in its current, decrepit, state

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    My childhood movie theaters are mostly still open. Even the drive-in where I first saw Star Wars - in 1977, when I was four years old - is still open.

As for more recent matters...

Unfortunately the UC Theater in Berkeley is closed; a victim of competition in perhaps the only town in the country that suffers from having too many arthouse movie theaters. I remember seeing Patlabor 2 there in perhaps 1996 - the first time I had seen an anime movie on the big screen. I have similar memories of the old Camera 3 in San Jose - the small one out on The Alameda - which they sold and is now an Indian movie house (only in San Jose!).

The Hayward 6 down by Southland Mall is long-gone. I took a date there to see The Lion King once. I remember when there was nearly a riot after the "e" fell off the "Spice World" marquee - not a great thing to happen in a town that's 40% Latino.

Maybe my favorite, though, is the Byrd Theater on Cary St. in Richmond. Talk about old-world southern elegance! And it's the only arthouse in town... I remember going to see Pulp Fiction there at a midnight showing. Cool stuff.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Auckland still has one of its old theatres, built in the depression. I saw Star Wars there in 1979. These days the main stage is used for plays and concerts, though there is still a silver screen, used mostly for film festivals.

http://www.civictheatre.co.nz/

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Before I moved to the UK, I lived in an apartment in a two-family house across the street from the State Cinema. The house is now gone, but the cinema is still there.

http://stamford.patch.com/listings/state-cinema

I'd walk across the street to see films and at the end I'd be home while people were still getting in their cars. Fun times!

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
  13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    "helped" I said. Nothing was going to prevent the rise of the multiplexes. Luckily the Virginia Theater is under the protection of Roger Ebert, or it probably would have been demolished by now.

ROTJ was one of the first movies I ever saw at a multiplex, on a screen no bigger than a third the size of the vast Virginia screen, with a crowd no bigger than a tenth the size of a sold out show at the Virginia.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    If memories serves, I saw Star Wars three times in its original run:

1. UA Continental, Forest HIlls, Queens: Very unspectacular theater, multiplex sized rooms and screenTeater has since been renamed for the developers sin, which wouldn't eb so bad if the son wasn't named after a 90210 character.

2. A really, really beautiful theater in Bremen, Germany that apparently no longer exists. It was huge, a classic, old fashioned, one movie movie theater. With assigned seating (which is standard in Germany and Austria even today). And it was called "Krieg der Sterne"!!! Have to ask my Mom if she knows which one it could have been.

3. The UA Quartet in Flushing New York. Sort of an early multiplex forerunner, but still had pretty good sized screens. Probably saw more movies here than any other theater in my life, going all the way back to the very first movies I ever saw as a child (Disney's Robin Hood, maybe??). Apparently it was closed down in the early 90's and has been replaced by some kind of odd, unnamed orange building according to Google street view.
    [​IMG]