main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Old, old school: The original NES discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by timmoishere, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    ITT we discuss the glory days of the original Nintendo Entertainment System.
    [image=http://www.becks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nes-console.jpg]
    Let's talk about nostalgic memories, favorite games and other great stories we all had with this classic system.

I remember one time I got too close to the screen with the zapper gun while playing Duck Hunt and I actually cracked the glass on my TV in my enthusiasm to shoot those darn ducks.

And of course, Mega Man 2 still rocks even today.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    IGN recently named it the #1 console of all time.

3. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    Can't forget the "blowing into the console" trick that made the games work.

My favorite games on the NES were Metroid and Legend of Zelda.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm almost tempted to bid on it;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Other-Nintendo/SNES-NES/auction-241707011.htm

5. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    That's a pretty good price for that. I'd go for it.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Actually, I meant this one...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Vintage/auction-241579389.htm

7. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I'd still go for the first one.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think one thing that stands out to me was the social aspect of the NES. Since everyone had the same system (except that one kid down the street who had a Master System to play that Rambo game on), everyone knew the games and had more shared experiences. I met several friends initially based merely on the prospect of borrowing certain games.

And that's sadly something that has been lost as multiple platforms vie for marketshare. Not to say that gamers haven't benefited in other ways due to the added competition, but now you have friends who have different systems and who now can't lend or share games as easily- one friend is getting one experience, while the other is getting something else and there's little common ground.

It also reduces the perspective of the sense of accomplishment. Once upon a time, beating a game (or a particularly difficult section of a game) was noteworthy and impressive-because everyone else knew how hard that game (or section/boss) was. In fact, people might ask you to replicate that achievement just so they could finally witness it and vicariously share in an achievement they might otherwise have been unable to do so themselves. If fewer people have access to a game due to platform, fewer people are likely to have that needed personal perspective.

And all of that combines with the start of fantastic co-op games like Contra, Double Dragon 2, Battletoads, TMNT2 & Rescue Rangers. I'm glad Nintendo continues to push same-room multiplayer even to this day, as online multiplayer (minus a few genres like RTS) just simply can never compare to kicking the ass of your friend sitting in the same room.

Which is not to diss online multiplayer entirely- in essence, it helps spackle the social crevasses formed by having multiple platforms, since many times you need to go online to find someone with the same platform and same game these days.

But that social aspect, i think, is the main reason (outside of the groundbreaking games) why the system became so engrained into the social fabric of an entire generation. It wasn't just gaming- it was Nintendo.

Though I can see why, I find it hard not to easily rank the SNES above it.

9. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Oh man, you're right on the money about friends getting together to experience the beating of games. I distinctly remember quite a few times having a room full of my friends while flying out of the DS II (granted that was SNES) or landing on the carrier at the end of Top Gun, beating Mother Brain in Metroid and having to run like hell to get out in time. I remember playing Tecmo Bowl sessions all night long. My best friend and I would go through an entire season in a day. I remember when we beat Zelda for the first time.

It's a shame experiences like that have been diluted because of the proliferation of consoles, online game sites and PC games.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It strikes me as a off-shoot to the Arcade culture where people would gather round to watch a top-skilled pinball, pac-man or galaga player play a title. Likeiwse, in the 90's, I know I'd gather round the MK2 cabinet when one of the better local players were taking on Shao Kahn, etc.

The NES had stuff a lot like that "I could never get past that one level in SMB3- could you beat the game?".

11. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I spent a ton of time around the Galaga box as a teen, both playing and watching other skilled players. Did the same thing for Street Fighter as well.

Ninja Gaiden was another NES game that offered "how did you get past that" moments when I was growing up.

12. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Ah...Galaga.

So cool, Hollywood used its sound effects in the skiFfy masterpiece WarGames.

Galaga.

Nothing matches the Zen-like calm during the three seconds you hover in space awaiting that first wave of invading enemy ships.

Galaga.

Galaxian is such a giant pile of crap compared to the greatness of Galaga.

13. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Galaga was the first thing I got from X-Box Live Marketplace after I got my 360.

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yeah, I downloaded the original, plus Galaga Legions off LIVE when they went up about a year or so back. I lent out my NES cart years earlier to a "buddy," and never got it back.

(...Your day will come, my friend. I have the long memory of a pachyderm.)

You could play Galaga with chalk on the sidewalk, and it would still be fun. Words cannot describe the joy I feel when I come upon a sit-down Galaga machine in a bar. The quarters levitate from my pocket on their own.

15. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

Man, the fortune I've spent on games. It started in the arcades and the NES took it from there. I couldn't wait to get home from school to play Zelda. I remember talking about Ganon and beating him at school and at the skating rink.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The main memory I have with the original Zelda is facing Ganon and not knowing I needed to use the damn Silver Arrows to kill him. I saw that he changed color every, what? 3 times you hit him with the sword, so I figured you just needed to get him to turn that color and him with the sword X amount of times to finally kill him. I gave up after the 25th rare-color change.

When I finally heard what I had to do, I was like "That's it!? Compared to what I attempted, that's mad easy!"

17. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

Nothing like a one hit kill after you've scoured the entire world for hours and hours and hours.

I really enjoyed the Top Gun game. Landing on the carrier was an exercise in patience. The missions weren't that hard but the landing afterwards always caused some nice tension.

The Tecmo Bowl sessions are the ones I remember the most. I was always the Raiders and I moved Willie Gault to RB along with Bo Jackson.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I never played the first one, but I did own Top Gun 2: The Second Mission. That wasn't too bad (though I still preferred Afterburner- alas those black Tengen carts didn't last long at the rental store), though it's two player versus dogfights were pretty impressive for an NES game, since you had different missle options to arm your ship with beforehand, in addition to your guns.

Only there was a major flaw in the game- if you were (I think) Player 2, you started off the match right in Player 1's lock-on targeting field, so all Player 1 had to do to win a dogfight was lock-on and fire a missle immediately as the match began, and it would kill Player 2 every damn time.

Me and my friends had to implement a "wait 5 seconds" rule before anyone could open fire, just so that there would be some kind of actual match by allowing Player 2 to move out of the targeting field.

19. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Tecmo Bowl had a weird quirk like that when you called plays. You would only get the amount of time it took the first person to select a play took. So we had the same 5 second rule so we had enough time to at least look at the plays. We played it so much that we knew the plays by heart and that rule was eventually eliminated.

20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I never could beat Ninja Gaiden 2 when I was a kid. In fact, I don't think I ever beat it for the first time until I was in my 20s.

21. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    That game was brutally hard.

Loved Super Mario Brothers 2 on the NES. You can tell that game wasn't supposed to be a SMB game. Still one of my all time favorites.

22. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    There were times when I actually preferred SMB2 to the others.

23. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Same here. I couldn't wait to buy it. The game still has some of the coolest levels of any game ever made.

24. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mario 3 is superior but Mario 2 is close to being my favorite of the original three. It expanded the playable cast and established their special abilities that endure to this day (Luigi's lack of traction but increased jumping height, Peach's hovering, etc) and introduced some key enemies like Shy Guys, Birdos and Ba-bombs.

Plus, Wart deserves more credit than just his cameo in Link's Awakening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.