main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Old, old school: The original NES discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by timmoishere, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    My favorite mobs were the egg shooters. Jumping, landing on an egg and grabbing it was so unique for the time.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Those hawk gate things after beating the Birdos creeped me out when I saw them for the first time. Hey, I was only 6 at the time!

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The hawk gate that attacks you in the final level scared the **** out of me when I first saw it. :p

4. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    One time as a kid I put $10 in the TMNT arcade game. I got all the way to Shredder and even had him to the point where his mask was off. Then I died and had no more quarters. To this day I wish I had that $10 back. lol

On the brighter note, I loved TMNT2 on the NES. It was probably my favorite game with SMB3 as a close second. I was also a big fan of the first Batman game. The NES was a superb gaming system.

EDIT: How could I forget a nod to Castlevania? All three games on the original NES were awesome!

5. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Oh man, I dropped so much time in Simon's Quest. That game is one of the most frustrating I ever played.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    for me that game was ghosts 'n goblins. so fun but so incredibly hard. i remember making it to the last level only to have my friend trip over the cord and unplug the console.

7. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    :_|

I would've been so mad.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Haha ah man something similar happened when my uncle was playing SMB 3. He was right at Bowser and my sister was standing near the NES and her foot accidentally pressed the reset button.

9. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Actually I don't remember the game being hard so much as disappointing in the end. Dracula was EASY in Simon's Quest when compared to Castlevania 1 or 3.

10. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I didn't have the attention span back then. That's probably why I had so much trouble with it.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    TMNT2 gave me thumb blisters- but that was because I used back-and-forth jump kicks as my main attack pattern.

12. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I wore my thumbs out and got blisters from playing Tecmo Bowl.

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I used that technique against the mousers and most of the bosses. However, against regular foot soldiers, I would always use the jump+slash attack.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    IGN recently started their Top 100 NES Games countdown. Some highlights for me:

100. ICE HOCKEY!!! This game is still a ton of fun. Almost every time I go to my friend's house, who has it, we play it until our thumbs hurt.

98. TMNT: Still haven't beaten this. :( AVGN's review is a classic but I still think it's a great game.

94. Kickle Cubicle: Pleasantly surprised this made the list.

15. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    All 6 Mega Man games are on that list. That is just awesome.

16. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    "Old, old school"? Then what does that make consoles like the Coleco, Intellivision and especially the Atari VCS?:confused:

But regarding the NES, I didn't have one myself, but I did watch Captain N and Legend of Zelda on TV. Great toons, they were.

17. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Sorry, but seeing you say 'Captain N' I just had to :D :

Nostalgia Critic reviews Captain N
    Part 1
    Part 2

18. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Well, if that's so, that they only made the toons as big ads to sell their games (which they obviously were) then they didn't work on me, 'cause I never bought or even played a NES. But I remember enjoying the toons though.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking at that list, I've never even heard of Rush'n Attack, Astyanax, Kickle Cubicle, Klax

And their review may make me have to track down Willow on NES... and Journey to Silius was supposed to be a Terminator game? Gonna have to play that one now too. Jackal too.

Oh man, the end of part 2 where he breaks down the incocnsitent logic in the series is amazing. "I'm awesome". "End of Series". "CAPTAIN N: THE GAME MASTER!". [face_laugh]

20. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    I've heard of Rush'n Attack and Klax. Suffice to say they're not very good, even back then.

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I had never heard of many of the games on that list.

22. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Rush'N'Attack was an awesome side scroller that was a huge hit in arcades. It translated ok to consoles but it was a lot more fun to play in the arcades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.