main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Old print fanzine up for grabs

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by castewar, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. castewar

castewar Jedi Master

Nov 6, 2003
    Hello all.

While doing a little spring cleaning (better late than never, yes?) I stumbled upon a pile of old SW fanzines I helped create

Backstory;

Long story short - back at the beginning of 1995, with the Special Edition movies about to hit theaters and the announcement that the prequels were going into production, a group of SW fans at the University of Calgary, Canada, organized a charity convention.

It wasn't huge, just a few hundred fans hanging out, watching the films and other SW fun stuff (like the Mark Hamill episode of the Muppet Show). All told we raised a lot of food for the food bank. We did the same thing the next year, attracting three times as many fans, local retailers, and raised even more food for the local foodbank.

I promised a short story, right?

Each of those two years we produced a program for the event that for all intents and purposes was a fanzine. These days I'm not even sure anyboy still makes print fanzines, but those days, web zines were only getting rolling (I don't even think TF.Net was running then.)

Each is 16 pages cover to cover and features small articles on the event, various fan stuff, some original cartoons, etc. Oh, I did a really amateurish altered photo of Alec Guiness as Ben Kenobi during the Clone Wars. All pre-prequels (rat tails... who knew) and all using Photoshop 1, so, pretty basic. But highly amusing.

They're photocopied pages, but nicely saddle stapled. Nothing fancy to be sure - they're more of a nice snapshot of the years before the web came to dominate the 'zine scene and the new movies hadn't even started production.

I have 60 copies of the second issue (out of a 1000 print run) and a very limited amount of the first issue (17 left out of 500).

I'm getting rid of them (I only need one copy for myself, not a pile) and thought maybe some fans here might like them.

Please email me at tossoff@castewar.com if you'd like one. Include your address. Postage is on me as long as you're not, like, on the moon or something.

First 17 people get the two issues, but after that, it's all issue two and anything around the house I can find that's amusing.

If you want to mail me something cool in exchange, like stickers or whatever, that'd be cool, I like surprises.

cheers

c

2. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Careful. The do not take kindly to advertising, bartering or selling around here.

3. castewar

castewar Jedi Master

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, here's hoping they don't see it as such. I've got a handful of fanzines, nearly a decade old, that a lot of fans put love and time into and I didn't want to toss them in the recycling bin without at least checking to see if any SW fans out there wanted them.

If nothing else, it'll be a taste of the way things used to be in SW fandom prior to the web, for those who aren't old enough to remember what it was like.

I PM'd the Contacts about it. I'll go by whatever they decide.

4. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Heard anything about this yet? I am sure that a few of our members would love one, including myself... :)

Indy

5. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Ya, both Mike and I are ok with this.

As long as there is no "selling" involved and the mags are being given away we have no problem.

6. ivylore

ivylore Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2000
    These days I'm not even sure anyboy still makes print fanzines, but those days...

Just to clarify, there are quite a few out there and going strong. ;)

Thanks for the offer Castewar!

7. castewar

castewar Jedi Master

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm glad to hear they're still going strong. There's something nice about holding a zine in your hands...

Those of you who mentioned they'd like one, drop me a note or PM and I'll wing some your way.

Thanks, all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.