main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Old Republic era Spin-offs and the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Jun 16, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Will Disney make Old Republic era spin-offs? If so, what does that mean for Old Republic era EU?

RafSwi7 likes this.
  2. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    The Old Republic era is vast, much larger time spans than in the PT/OT. So far we've only seen slices of it in the games, novels and the comics -- and they are mostly set in a very tight time frame. 5000-3950 BBY, 3660 BBY and 1030-990 BBY. If they were to make films set in the era, they could very well explore Darth Ruin's era in the 2000's BBY -- which we have little information about. So it could very well not touch on the previous eras, leaving them intact.

If they were to make a movie set in the eras we have information... that might be a problem for us, the fans of those characters and situations. But I doubt they'd want to do that since they have such a huge, mostly unexplored era.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    But if they want Sith...

4. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Absolutely! The New Sith Empire before Knight Errant has many different possibilities too. ;)

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Frank Langella as Darth Ruin, please.

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Interestingly, Darth Ruin is based on what GL intended to be the founder of the Sith. Interesting how both the EU's founding of the Sith (Hundred-Year Darkness) and GL's founding of the Sith (Darth Ruin) remain unexplored...

Darth Loocas and Hansa like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If they do a movie that shows an end to the Old Sith Wars I don't see how they will be the same as what we have now with Jedi vs. Sith or the Darth Bane books.
    Movies in this era will happen since we will get to see massive armies of Jedi and Sith waging war on each other.
    Look at the SWTOR trailer Deceived when the Sith all run out the ship and engage the Jedi in the Temple. That will happen on the Big Screen one day.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Are trying to say that the end of the Old Sith Wars is unexplored?

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well I suppose the Darth Bane books, Knight Errant and Jedi vs. Sith fall under the New Sith Wars but since they were a different breed of Sith I consider that era Old Sith Wars and whatever it is now, the New Sith Wars. Those works will not be adapted to film. The directors will change them as they see fit.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh, I see what you're saying now. You're saying exactly what I was thinking (besides the Old/New terminology)! Disney might write their own history of the Sith in which there was never a Sith species, the Massassi Temple has nothing to do with the Sith, etc.

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. From the 100 Years Darkness to Ruusan those Sith are a different breed of Sith from the Banite Sith and the One Sith so I just categorize that whole era as something different from what goes on now.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I understand. However, due to established terminology, "pre-Ruusan" and "post-Ruusan" would work better than "Old Sith" and "New Sith"

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably.

14. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011

I suppose it means retcons. But on the other hand I believe these retcons would not be as massive as for post-RotJ events.
    Movies about anyone with Skywalker/Solo surname would have to cover several dozen novels (if they would like to be canon friendly).
    The Old Republic era is different - series about Bane would need ~ 3 movies, about Revan ~ 3-6 movies, the same about Knight Errant or characters from TOTJ.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was also asking the question of whether or not Disney would acknowledge the existence of the characters, etc. By "Old Republic era" I meant anything 1000+ years before the Saga

16. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I can't say if I'd anticipate a film or something very soon. Books? Sure. A game? Possibly, if they really wanted to go for a "Jedi vs. Sith Power Battles" thing. It really depends on what they set up in the ST. For all we know, they might give themselves enough metaphorical kindling to burn there for quite some time.

17. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011

It really depends on Disney whatever they want to make "big reset" of SW or not. Personally I think it is not going to happen because for many people it would break SW experience. Many people would cease to buy anything related to SW (for many - me including - EU>Movies)

So I think these scenarios are more probable:
    - Star Wars is divided into EU universe and movies universe.
    - Everything post-RotJ is retconned.
    - Heavy retcons in post-RotJ era (some stories are still in)
    - Canon friendly - most of post-RotJ era is canon

But still it is only a speculation.

Personally I wonder if Disney is aware of such characters like Exar Kun, Kerra, Bane or Revan. I was more than surprised to see them in some articles about SW characters/stories which should get spinoff.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In which case there would still be many questions to ask about movies set pre-TPM

19. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    remeber the old republic era is vast that there can be alot of completely new characters & events for movies did we know who revan was & what the mandalorian wars were?did we know who satele & malgus were?the corescant treaty? its so big u can keep inventing new stuff & pin it to that era...it doent have to be about ppl we know,which we ddnt b4 they were introdued for the first time.

but personally i dont want it to be completely original!o_O

20. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i keep saying that ,that should happen on the big screen either live-action or CG it is a big miss not to have at least one old republic trilogy on the silver screen

21. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    thanks
    The Old Sith Wars begin in 5000 BBY and are documented from that point (TOTJ) until 3640 BBY (end of TOR so far).

Darth Loocas likes this.
  23. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    darklordoftech so,i ddnt get your opinion whether u want it to be completely original or already told stories or in between?

24. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i ddnt catch your drift...i mean how was this related to the quote?

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I can't decide what I want it to be. I'd love to see Yoda extinguishing the Sith 1000 years before the Saga, but I'd also love to see Jude Law as Exar Kun.

I was just being more specific about what has and what hasn't been documented.