main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Old School Hockey Video Game's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SaberGiiett7, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Yep I'm talking about the Hockey games for Super Nintendo that came out yearly back in the early nineties. :)

I still play Super regularly and I mainly play NHLPA Hockey which features the ability to have glass breaking shots, injurys, Goalie pulls, line changes, crowd hurlers, and offcourse good ol fashion scraps. :D

I love being able to see the whole rink so it's actually like I'm strategicly positioning my players to set up rushes and defensive perimeters. :)

I'll never grow tire even with the ever changing graphics and quality of Old School Hockey games. ;)

Any other fans?

<[-]> Saber

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    NHL Stanley Cup for SNES and Ice Hockey for NES are my favourites.

3. AnakinMoonwalker

AnakinMoonwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    I love NHL 94!

4. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
  5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..i'll go even older-school...

What hockey fan doesn't get giddy at the mere thought of the following:

*Shickteen*

"BLADES OF STEEL"

Ice HOckey was another one that was super-fun in the NES era..

Course, nothing tops EA Sports' NHL hockey games from the Genesis.. NHL 94 is still the best game i've played...

Although, for the computer, NHL 97 was pretty slick, too...

6. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Blades of Steel!

Can you say:

Best. Hockey. Game. Ever.

:D

7. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    YES!

When I read the title of this game, the first thought that popped into my head was of Blades of Steel. What an addictive game! :D

:cool: Mace Windy,
    this signature blows!

8. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Blades of steel was great, but my favorite
    was just
    good ol
    ICE HOCKEY On the NES!

I would always get 5 fat mother Russia dudes and we would dominate all the skinny and medium sized other countries!

I loved Ice hockey for the NES!

9. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Not a big hockey fan, but "Technos Ice Hockey" for NES is my favorite ice hockey game.

For those of you not familiar with Technos, they made the jewel that is "River City Ransom". They also made "Nintendo World Cup Soccer", which was butchered when it came to the states. The story mode was removed.

Technos Ice Hockey has a lot of similar elements to that and River City Ransom, in that it has a story mode. They made some really cool sports games with story modes, most of which never saw the light of day in the US.

10. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    But Technos Dodge Ball did make it, which was one of the best and most addicting sports titles ever.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I would always get 5 fat mother Russia dudes and we would dominate all the skinny and medium sized other countries!

The fat guys are only good for shooting. I go with the skinny players. ;) I could be down one goal with 6 seconds left in the third period and I could tie the game.

12. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I have to disagree son. Super Techmo Bowl was the most addictive and best sports gave ever created!

:cool: Mace Windy,
    this signature blows!

13. SithLord1968

SithLord1968 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2000
    My All-time faves, by platform:
    Atari 2600: Activision Ice Hockey
    NES: Blades of Steel (despite the cheat-goal of shooting along the boards from just inside the blue line...worked every time) and ICE HOCKEY
    Genesis: NHL'94 ... got to love the heads cracking open....(Mario Lemieux Hockey honorable mention)
    SuperNES: NHLPA
    PSone:NHL'99
    PS2:NHL2001
    XBOX: NHL2K3

...yes I own all of these systems......

14. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Come on boys. NHL '95 and '96 for the Sega Genesis! Dougie Weight and the Oilers were rolling those years! :)

15. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    My junior year in college, myself and 5 friends had a year-long NHL 94 season, complete with stats kept track on paper and everything. My teams were Calgary and Quebec. Man those were good times!

I think players' abilities were more exaggerated back then. For example, Paul Coffey always floated to the side when skating back on defense, and Pavel Bure was always the fastest skater!

I liked the little kid who banged on the glass, and the ability to score by ramming the goalie. Great games!!

16. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Whoa your game had a kid slamming the glass?! [face_shocked]Seriously that's pretty cool. :cool:

Good I don't feel like a dweeb for keeping stats when I get into the playoff portion of the season. I dominate with Detroit, Pittsburgh, NY NY, and Calgary. Whenever I can't get any slap shots in or even rebounder's I always have to resort to my praticely infallable "loop-hole" goal in which I feint the goal tender by swinging around and with a deke leaving a blindspot open to send it in. :DWorks everytime. :cool:

Who plays mutli player with these games? :confused:

BTW, heard of Blades of Steel but never actually sat down and played it.

One of the greatest things about these traditional hockey games is the way the players shoot, move, and how fast they are. It's realistic because no two players are the same, along with the teams. :)

<[-]> Saber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.