main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Old threads are not deleted? MAN, I miss our board!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by S_C_A-lexander, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S_C_A-lexander

S_C_A-lexander Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2005
    The more I explore, the more I'm disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I think its great how a community has developed over this board, but it all seems like clutter. We had highlighted category pages, and post for 1 thread that numbered in hundreds. Here a new one comes up and out shadows the others, because the organization is first come first serve kinda thing. Man I miss our board, Brit!! And the killer is that we can't load our own avatars, and the navagation buttons are not as friendly. But what can you expect, its asp. Microsoft locks you in! The php ones change and actually improve. And I'm getting annoyed by that scrolling marquee on the bottum!!!

2. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    If it make you feel any better, it's also on the top

3. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Actually Alex, it doesn't have anything to do with being ASP (I don't think the ASPNET at the bottom of the page has anything to do with the programming language). The board software they use here is called Snowboards (use to be UBB, that was a LONG time ago).

You're right about one thing. There aren't nearly as many customizations possible with this software as there are with phpBB. Britt had, at one time, a site up that ran phpBB and looked just like this place (same layout and everything).

So it's not really about Microsoft and lock-in. If anything it's about ZeroSleep (the resident board programmer and admin) and his ability to add new features as they're asked for.

4. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    If you look at the web address, many of the pages are have a .asp extension. the "?" is a variable passing. Dude, what you say may be right about the company who did it, but the pages are still asp files! You're a web savy, why are you arguing?

5. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Who in the blue hell cares either way?

6. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I am not and was never arguing Alex. Geezus *#(&U()(#*$)(#$! All I was saying is that it's not the language that's to blame, it's the layout of the boards. Did you know that if you wanted to, you could probably make a php board do the same thing (.asp extensions)? All you'd have to do is configure the webserver to respond properly and I'm sure it would work just fine.

But forget it. It doesn't matter and I don't care. To quote James "Who in the blue hell cares either way?"

7. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    HIYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. TheCrowbar

TheCrowbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    Hey Alex, if you don't like it create a new one yourself... otherwise, Quit your Bitchen!

9. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Now a days I just get a kick out reading barry stuff.

Yeah, I am b!cthing! That's what this thread was for! The idea was to see if anyone from the old boards came here. Besides longtime members who were already on this board, the answer is NO!

10. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    That's enough.
    Instigating someone just to see what their reaction will be is called "baiting". Please read the TOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.