main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Oldjedinurse's Portfolio: Updated March 1st - Syal Antilles Fel

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by oldjedinurse, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Closed by oldjedinurse

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Greetings, oldjedinurse and welcome to Fan Art!

Yeah--I think a lot of people would like for Jaina and Jag to have a few quiet happy moments now and then, lol!
    On your drawing--I like it! It's a nice pose for them, with Jag's chin resting against Jaina's hair. I like the shading you've done here, and your linework is nice and strong--both figures are well-defined and have a good "volume." Critique-wise: his head looks quite a bit larger than hers--moreso than might be necessary even with his larger physique. As to his expression, you might "relax" his brows a bit--they appear to be quite arched, which gives him a sort of surprised rather than a relaxed look, which is what you were going for I think. They both have strong frontal lighting in the picture, so if you added "catch-lights" to their eyes, it might help give them more life. Did you use a reference for them, or draw them from your head (I only ask as Jaina reminds me of Sarah Michelle Gellar!)? It's a nice piece, and it's fun to see some more EU-inspired art--thanks for sharing it!

Again--welcome, and don't hesitate to post more!

FF

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    oldj! Great to see you here! [:D]

I like your Jag and Jaina -- especially Jaina's hair, for some reason. :p And it's a lovely pose for both of them, too.

4. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    :) Hi, FalconFan, and thanks for the welcome and the detailed response!
    I think you're quite right about Jag's head being large - that thought crossed my mind as well. And I like your other suggestions very much - I'm going to work on it some more, incorporating those ideas - I'll post the results to see if you like the difference.
    I did reference photos of Harrison and Carrie for Jaina, trying to put some elements of them into her face, but I didn't notice the resemblance to Sarah Michelle Gellar until you mentioned it! That was either unintentional or subconscious...[face_laugh]
    Again, thanks so much for being so helplful. I truly appreciate it.

:D Well, hi! Glad to see you too!
    Thanks for taking a look - its still a WIP, as are most things, but I'm glad you liked it.

I'm going to have to take some time to look around and see everyone else's work...

Thanks again! oldj

5. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, yeah!! Gosh, you really took the suggestions and ran with 'em, didn't you? :p I think it looks wonderful--especially with the "catch-lights" in their eyes: the effect just really makes the faces "light up," I think! Very very nice! It's going to be fun to see what you put up next--we love to see new people come join us here! Again--welcome!

FF

6. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Welcome! Not only do we all have the joy of reading your well written, great stories but now we have beautiful art too! :) And what a beautiful image this is, you have really got across the lovable side of Jag very well...in this pic you can see why Jaina loves him. Other images have him as cold and unfeeling (I'm a bit guilty there with my pic of Jag but I did give him roguish hair however so I may have redeemed myself!), but here he really has personality. Well done! And Jaina's well done too with their pose simply adorable. Great work and hope to see some more in the very near future! :D

7. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    :D Hey, nice to see you here too! And, Wow, thank you so much for your kind words! I was hoping to convey some humanity in this Jag - and to have him look loving next to Jaina. I'm so glad you saw some of that, and I really appreciate your letting me know.

I certainly am inspired to produce some more fan art. Let's see....who next?

:)

oldj

8. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Hey, welcome to the board. I very much like this Jaina and Jag piece you've done. I think the second draft is much improved as far as scaling, as well.

Nice work on their features, and it's clear you put some good effort into drawing their hair. The shading on their necks is also very well done (I know it's an odd thing to comment on).

Good composition with this; it has the feeling of a 'Christmas Card' type photograph.

9. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Welcome aboard. ^_^

You did excellent work on the smaller details of their facial features like the indication of the small hairs of their eyebrows, the eyelashes, and shading of the noses not to mention having just a great sense for facial structures in general. I think Jaina's layered hair is beautiful. Also like the fact that you have them looking in a different direction rather than to us (the viewer). That really enhances the feeling of a photograph, or as wick put it, a "Christmas Card" type photograph :)

The only thing I would add is to try to apply even more darker shades to give more dimension for future artwork. It's just my humble opinion though.

Would love to see more. :)

- Suz ^_~

10. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Hi, wicktone! Thanks for the welcome and the comments - both much appreciated!
    I was going for a 'portrait' type feel, so 'Christmas Card' photo works for me - thanks!

Hi, Suz! Thank you for stopping by with welcoming comments as well!
    I understand your comment about shading and dimension. I pay much more attention to that sort of detail in my non-SW work and you're right, its 'missing' here. This 'portrait' was a sudden impulse attempt to depict J/J as I 'see' them in my mind. I didn't make it too detailed - just a quick pencil drawing. Now that I've done that, I would like to challenge myself to do some better portraiture (I usually work in landscapes, florals, animals and still life). Why not make it SW characters?

When I have some more SW work ready, I'll post it here for you to see!

Again, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the helpful reviews.

oldj

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow, oldj -- I like the final of the Jag and Jaina picture! Jag looks much better! :)

12. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Idrelle:

Wow, oldj -- I like the final of the Jag and Jaina picture! Jag looks much better!
    :D Thanks so much! I'm here to learn - and I'm amazed and grateful for the fabulous feedback that helped me improve that drawing so quickly!

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Whoa! That hair is wild!

Very nice drawing, oldj! I like the colours and tones of it. :)

14. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Thanks, Idrelle! The hair is wild, huh? LOL.

oldj

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, oldj! [:D] Once again, it's great to see you here!

You are definitely one talented individual! Not only do you write fantastic stories, but you have wonderful artwork as well! Your Jaina and Jag drawing looks great! I really like the pose their in and the expression on their faces. Wonderful job!

Now for you Tahiri/Riina one - WOW! I really love what you've done with her hair. That's some wild stuff going on. Also, wonderful job with the colored pencils. They blend together flawlessly, creating a nice smooth surface. Great job! :D

16. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Hi, HS29!

I've never been a portrait artist - I don't know what made me try to conceptualize my favorite EU characters. These are a long way from my usual art work.

Its fun, though, so I'll see how much I can develop. I've already gained a lot of help here.

Thanks for the welcome and kind comments!

oldj

17. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Tahiri/Riina is a wild picture... But for some reason, I really like it. ;) The hair matches her "wild", conflicting emotions. The scars look cool. She definitely looks like a blend of Vong and human.

Great work! I hope to see more coming Oldj!

18. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I really like that Tahiri, too. That is some crazy hair, indeed! It almost looks like feathers... very cool effect.

Beautiful colour work on this, as well. Very smooth and vibrant.

19. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work Oldjedinurse! Wonderful stuff! :) This actually makes me want to pick up and read the rest of the NJO novels (so far the only ones I have liked have been Traitor, and the Aaron Allston duology, the others haven't impressed me at all to be honest).

She almost looks medusa-esque, with her hair like snakes or vines moving independently of her body. It's a nice image, considering the Yuuzhan Vong's penchant for organic technology. I am a fan of the Vong and this has impressed me very much...a very nice mix of human and Vong. Well done!

And the canvas inspired by the Dathomir witches looks great! Such wonderful colour choice! :)

20. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Oldj! Wow - both of your pieces are very good! I like the Jaina/Jag portrait (If you couldn't tell from my page, lol). FF is right - she does look a lot like Sarah Michelle Gellar. I like the improvements you made, too. It looks much better than the first version. And Tahiri/Riina is great! I love the hair, it kind of resembles mine right now! lol. Actually, it reminds me of Nen Yim with the shaper's headdress. Did you do that intentionally? I also like the expression on her face - very calm and serene. It's not how I often picture Tahiri, but it seems to fit in this one. And great job on the colored pencils! I have a new found respect for them after Jaina, lol. And the painting is great! It almost reminds me a little of Mary Grand Pré's work (She's the illustrator for the US versions of the Harry Potter books). Keep up the good work :)

C_R - You are redeemed! Jag can't look that hot and be cold/unfeeling - If that's how he *really* (note the *'s as I speak of a fictional character.. lol) I can see why Jaina'd fall for him. lol.

21. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    :cool: Hey, thank you Commander_Faofa! I love that you think Tahiri/Riina looks "wild". The hair was intentional, a representation of the chaos of their joining. I'm pleased that you see both human and Vong there. Thanks so much for the kind words!

:D Hi, wick! I'm so happy you like the hair, too. And thanks for the color comments - its a long time since I used pencil, so I'm happy people think it looks okay.

:) Hi, C_R! You know, some of the NJO novels aren't THAT bad!! LOL! I always wonder whether people who aren't hooked into the storyline by Vector Prime ever really get interested, although I think Stackpole's duology is close to Allston's in terms of grabbing interest. Anyway, thank you for your review of Tahiri/Riina. I'm so glad the imagery worked for you. And thanks for commenting on the canvas - I'm so tempted to turn it into a Dathomiri witch - but I think I'll finish it as originally intended!

[face_blush] Thanks so much, Great_One! Its funny about the Sarah Michelle Gellar comparison - I know who she is, but I don't really know her image very well. And, yeah, I'm very happy with the improvements on J/J - thanks to FF! It helps to have someone else's eyes pick out what you're missing, and I knew I was missing some major things on that first draft. With no reference for Jag, at least we're free to make him look any way we want (as long as there are green eyes and black hair and a scar).
    That's a very interesting comment about Nen Yim's headdress. I had not thought at all about that - at least not consciously - until you mentioned it. You're right! There are probably so many SW images so deeply imbedded in my mind that, even thought I don't think about them, they influence what I'm doing.
    I'm also very glad you like the painting. Its almost done, but its a big canvas (30x30 inches), so it takes time.

I am truly grateful to everyone for lurking, looking and responding!

oldj

22. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    You know, some of the NJO novels aren't THAT bad!! LOL!

LOL Yeah I know...I just like to complain about the lack of Rebel pilots in them! :D And the over-abundance of Jedi in them too.

I'm only to happy to review and look at such work so again it's my pleasure. :)

Oh and thanks Great_One! ;)

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Loving "Tahiri/Riina!!" What a wonderful, almost Dali-esque style you used for this one! I think Great_One is right on the money here in comparing her hair to that of Nen Yim--her beautiful human face and that surreal Yuuzhan Vong-type hair...it's a stunning interpretation of that excruiciating moment in Tahiri's life. Just wow! And the Dathomiri witch painting is very cool, too--again, it's almost impressionistic, very dark and forboding with the deep colors and swirling lines. I like it very much, oldj!! Your use of color is wonderful--with both the pencils and the paints. Beautiful! =D=

FF

24. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    C_R:

I just like to complain about the lack of Rebel pilots in them! And the over-abundance of Jedi in them too.
    [face_laugh] Yeah, I miss the Rogues and Wraiths too. I don't mind the Jedi, though. Anyway, I don't think you're going to get a novel with NO Jedi!

FF:

Loving "Tahiri/Riina!!" What a wonderful, almost Dali-esque style you used for this one! I think Great_One is right on the money here in comparing her hair to that of Nen Yim--her beautiful human face and that surreal Yuuzhan Vong-type hair...it's a stunning interpretation of that excruiciating moment in Tahiri's life. Just wow! And the Dathomiri witch painting is very cool, too--again, it's almost impressionistic, very dark and forboding with the deep colors and swirling lines. I like it very much, oldj!! Your use of color is wonderful--with both the pencils and the paints. Beautiful!
    [face_blush] Ohmygosh. Thank you, FF! I can see the Dali-esque style you mentioned, although it was unintentional. I guess I'm influenced by a lot of different artists. I'm really happy that you like Tahiri/Riina, and glad you liked seeing the Dathomiri canvas as well. Thanks so much for the overly kind feedback!

oldj

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Ooooo, I love your sketch of Tahiri/Riina. What a great subject/moment to depict. Her hair does a great job conveying the inner turmoil going on inside her head! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.