main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Oldjedinurse's Portfolio: Updated March 1st - Syal Antilles Fel

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by oldjedinurse, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    :D Thanks very much, Obi-Dawn Kenobi! I'm glad you liked it!

oldj

2. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Tahiri & Riina: Moment of Union

Wow, that's a really interesting concept to tackle. You're very creative. As I look at it, A sunflower keeps coming to mind. It almost looks like really long flower petals.

What I really like about it is that even with it's 'wild' chaos, it seems to possess a nice flowing sense. Ordered, yet disordered. Lol, that sounds weird. It looks so alive...kind of like Medusa, as CR mentioned, but beautiful. Much more beautiful. :)

The loosely titled "Nightsister of Dathomir ;)

It looks so mysterious and holds a certain eerieness as well. It also has a way of looking almost 3-dimensional. I think what it is that I find eerie is how her head and hand stand out so strongly in conjuction with the use of such a dark blood red colour. I don't know much about the Dathomir Nightsisters, but I did find the woman's head to appear much like 'Mary' or something of biblical times.

- Suz ^_~

3. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    :) Thanks, Suz ... I like to do "different" things when I draw and paint. "Ordered, yet disordered." I love that! That's actually very close to what I had in mind.
    You're not the first person to comment on the "Mary-like" image of the painting. At this stage, I would agree. However, it will change as I continue to work on it.
    Thanks so much for your comments!
    Mari

4. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
  5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Very nice! I like the coloring a lot and you did a great job delineating the different wisps of hair. Nice choice doing it on the textured paper too. :)

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    OOOO! Me too, I love the colouring on this piece!

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, excellent!!!

I really like this drawing! The colors, the proportions--all right there!! There's so much energy in it, with Chewbacca's expression and the wildly blowing hair/fur! I loved that scene in the film, too: Chewie, bellowing at Han for blowing up the probe droid! lol! Great stuff--and a great rendering of our beloved Wookiee! Very nice work, oldj!! Man, I can't get over how fast you're working now! This is great! :D

FF

8. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Beautiful Chewbacca! You did such a good job handling his fur whipping around in the wind. It really looks like fur, too...

And I agree with Obi-Dawn, that the rough paper adds a lot of great texture to the drawing.

9. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Obi-Dawn Kenobi:

Very nice! I like the coloring a lot and you did a great job delineating the different wisps of hair. Nice choice doing it on the textured paper too.
    :) Thank you! I seem to have an artful hair fetish going on at the moment, don't I?? Yes, I really like the rough-finish paper as well. This drawing wouldn't have been the same on smooth paper.

Idrelle:

OOOO! Me too, I love the colouring on this piece!
    [:D] Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

FF:

Oh, excellent!!!
    I really like this drawing! The colors, the proportions--all right there!! There's so much energy in it, with Chewbacca's expression and the wildly blowing hair/fur! I loved that scene in the film, too: Chewie, bellowing at Han for blowing up the probe droid! lol! Great stuff--and a great rendering of our beloved Wookiee! Very nice work, oldj!! Man, I can't get over how fast you're working now! This is great!

:D Wow! Thank you very much! I'm so glad you see the "life" in him. Gotta love Chewie!

wick:

Beautiful Chewbacca! You did such a good job handling his fur whipping around in the wind. It really looks like fur, too...
    And I agree with Obi-Dawn, that the rough paper adds a lot of great texture to the drawing.

:) Thanks a lot! I'm glad you all see what I did in the choice of paper.

I'm grateful that you all stopped in and wrote notes!

oldj

10. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Gorgeous! :) Chewbacca in the snow happens to be one of my favourite moments in Star Wars and here it is so beautifully done! The rough texture of paper was a wonderful choice, gives so much reality and interest! The expression on his furry face is well done, a hard thing to do with all that hair and fur. :D Well done and hope to see more very soon which no doubt I will with your cracking pace of work!

11. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    That's a very nice Chewie, oldjedinurse. Your linework really gives it energy.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...excellent drawing, oldj! I love all the detail you managed to put into his fur - all the little individual hairs. And like others said, I think the toned/textured paper really helps him to pop off the page. Great job! :)

13. long_long_ago

long_long_ago Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    Hi! nice to see your works! Chewbacca looks great in those lines! [face_coffee]

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I really like what you've done with Chewbacca: great drawing with some wonderfull colours and a great sense of life. I even like your writing!

15. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    [face_blush] I'm very happy that you enjoyed this one! Thanks for the encouragement, C_R!

:) Thanks a lot, Darth_Snuggle!

:cool: Wow! Thanks so much, HS29!

:) Hi, long_long_ago! Thanks for stopping by - I'm glad you enjoyed Chewie.

:D Well, I appreciate that soitscometothis! I'm happy you liked Chewie, and thanks for having read some of my fic as well!

oldj

16. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    Great work on Chewbacca oldjedinurse =D= the movement in his fur and the piercing eyes give life to the portrait.
    That's the kind of drawing that would drive me crazy cause after all drawing fur and drawing hair is quite the same which means hours and hours of work :D

17. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    :D Thanks a lot, aurelia! Actually, I didn't spend a lot of time on this one - its pretty "sketchy" - but I know what you mean, sometimes I find detail (like hairiness) overwhelming! :p
    I appreciate you stopping in and responding.

oldj

18. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    oldj! yay, i found someone who does J/J art! i've went all through this board and you're the first i've found. great job!

19. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Jaina and Jag - a very sweet portrait of the two.

Tahiri & Riina
    Wow - I love the solemn look on her face. The color of her hair and the movement of it is mesmerizing. She had almost a mythological look to her. Somewhat like a pretty Medusa...minus the stone after effect..;) Beautiful.

Nightsister of Dathomir
    Really enjoy this piece. The colors are very foreboding and blend well together. I can see her being a Nightsister. :) When I saw this, I thought of the scene in AotC when Anakin rides off to find Shmi. Love the flow of her robes.

Chewbacca: Hero (on Hoth)
    Impressive! The colors and the texture virtually make him come off the paper alive. This is amazing work.

I'm amazed...so talented!=D=

20. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow, Oldjedinurse, you can write and draw! Very nice drawings. I really like Jag and Jaina. I still hope those two hook up together. Zekk wasn't a bad relationship choice when they were younger, but this rubbing of the forearms and making clicking sounds in their throat is just creeping me out now in the new Dark Nest books. [face_worried]

All of your drawings are excellent.

Great job!

AG88

21. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I love the texture of his fur!!!

22. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Wow Oldj. =D= =D=

Phenominal work here.

Why am I not surprised that you draw as well as you write?

I think the Tahiri picture is my favorite. I like the wild look on her, says alot about Riina trying to take her over (IMO).

My second favorite is the night sister one. It looks very Bald Mountain-y (love Fantasia) to me which kind of reminds me of them.

The Chewie pic is excellent. I can see that look on his face right before the Imperial Probe droid gets blasted.

And the Jag/Jaina pic is great. Did he pose for you after winning him at the summer awards? I personally would have had him shirtless, but that's just me.

Well, it seems that I'm completely a stalker now. Hope you don't mind.

23. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    i like chewbacca alot. It looks exactly like him! I liked the nightsisters too! That one was really good. Nice use of colors... it makes it look absoluty amazing!

24. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Love the J/J piece.

I love the color on the Tahiri one.

That painting is fantastic.

The colored paper for the Chewbacca picture really seems to bring him out more, IMO.

=D=

25. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    aurrasingrules:

oldj! yay, i found someone who does J/J art! i've went all through this board and you're the first i've found. great job!
    :D Thanks, aurra! I'm not terribly happy with this J/J, so I'll be doing some more of them (despite the direction profic may take...)

MirandaFair:

Jaina and Jag - a very sweet portrait of the two.
    :p Thanks, Miranda. As I told aurra (above), its not my favorite. I'll keep working at capturing my impressions of them.

Tahiri & Riina - Wow - I love the solemn look on her face. The color of her hair and the movement of it is mesmerizing. She had almost a mythological look to her. Somewhat like a pretty Medusa...minus the stone after effect.. Beautiful.
    :) I'm glad you like that one. It is a favorite of mine!

Nightsister of Dathomir - Really enjoy this piece. The colors are very foreboding and blend well together. I can see her being a Nightsister. When I saw this, I thought of the scene in AotC when Anakin rides off to find Shmi. Love the flow of her robes.
    ;) Everyone sees something different in this one - I love that! Thank you.

Chewbacca: Hero (on Hoth) - Impressive! The colors and the texture virtually make him come off the paper alive. This is amazing work.
    :D I'm soooo glad Chewie's well-received. I love him, and I'm still amazed that his likeness turned out as well as it did!

I'm amazed...so talented!
    @};- Aww. Big hug! Thank you, Miranda. I'm no FalconFan, or Zonoma, or many of the other brilliant artists here, but I enjoy it!

AG88:

Wow, Oldjedinurse, you can write and draw! Very nice drawings. I really like Jag and Jaina. I still hope those two hook up together. Zekk wasn't a bad relationship choice when they were younger, but this rubbing of the forearms and making clicking sounds in their throat is just creeping me out now in the new Dark Nest books.
    :) Thank you, I'm very pleased that you stopped in to look and enjoyed what you saw! (The DN books give me the creeps too!)

All of your drawings are excellent. Great job!
    [face_blush] Thank you, once again!

Kenu:

I love the texture of his fur!!!
    :cool: Thanks very much! I think bringing Chewie's fur to life is crucial to making his image real. Glad to know it seems to have worked here!

Lola:

Wow Oldj.
    :D Wow, Lola! You found my other self, huh?

Phenominal work here. Why am I not surprised that you draw as well as you write?
    [face_blush] Glad you like it - artistic types are temperamental, you know! Actually, I drew and painted as a child, gave it up for about twenty of my adult years, and only recently started working at it again.

I think the Tahiri picture is my favorite. I like the wild look on her, says alot about Riina trying to take her over (IMO).
    [face_batting] Your humble opinion is great with me! I have a soft spot for that one, too.

My second favorite is the night sister one. It looks very Bald Mountain-y (love Fantasia) to me which kind of reminds me of them.
    [face_thinking] Hmmm. Interesting comparison - I hadn't thought of that! When I've finished this painting, I'll post the real deal. It still has several hours of work left.

The Chewie pic is excellent. I can see that look on his face right before the Imperial Probe droid gets blasted.
    [face_laugh] Yup! I loved that moment. So much can be said with a few grunts and growls and a facial expression...

And the Jag/Jaina pic is great. Did he pose for you after winning him at the summer awards? I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.