main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Oldjedinurse's Portfolio: Updated March 1st - Syal Antilles Fel

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by oldjedinurse, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
  2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Nice drawing of Soontir Fel. You are very talented.

I was happy that Jag got some book time in The Swarm War. I have came to the conclusion that Jag is too good for Jaina. Han and Leia desperately need to get that girl to a deprogramer or a rehab clinic for membrosia addicts. :p

It is too bad, I really liked their relationship in the NJO.

Keep up the good work.

AG88

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Holy Wow!! (And Happy New Year..! ;) )

What a great drawing of the Baron!! I love the sketchy feel of this one, as well as the dark, sure lines. This is a wonderful portrait of a proud, strong man, and shows those qualities so well! Not too much age, just a touch of it around his eyes and cheeks--perfect! =D==D= I'd love to see you do something similar with a DN-era Luke Skywalker--done in this particular style, it'd be awesome!! Think about it--and kudos on another great piece!

FF

4. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    AG88:

Thank you! I agree about J/J in DNT - especially the deprogramming/detox idea... ;)

FalconFan:

Thank you so much! I'm very pleased you like this one ... I kind of do as well. Luke Skywalker, huh? I've never drawn him, but I'm going to think about it. I appreciate the encouragement!

5. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Love the new drawings. I've found Soontir as a very fascinating character. I'm really not sure why, but the little of read of him has peaked my interest. Anyways, great job!

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great to see you back, oldj! :D

Wonderful drawings of Soontir Fel, Shawnkyr and Jag's son. I agree with FF that the sketchy feel of the drawings works very well here. It adds an extra sense of movement to your work. I particularly like the angle in which you drew Soontir. That's a hard angle to master and you passed with flying colors. Their appearances also seem to fit their characterizations very well. Great job! :D

7. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    They all look great! [face_love]
    Wow! More? [face_batting] :D

8. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Thank you! I love Soontir, and maybe that's what comes through in this drawing - its my first attempt to capture his character.

Hi, HS29! Thanks, and glad to be back! I'm very pleased that you like Soontir (*Shhh! My favorite!*) I have attempted that particular angle only once before - Baaaad! :p - so its gratifying to hear that you like this. Thanks, again!

Hi, Chilla, and thank you very much! I'm quite inspired at the moment, so there are more coming!

oldj

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Lovely! You did a great job with Shawnkyr and the baby (and little children and babies are very tough for me to draw, so I admire anyone that can do that well!)--another wonderful, sketchy piece! Her eyes got me right away--both their eyes, actually, but Shawnkyr's in particular: very luminous and "moist"-looking, which is tough to show well with graphite (well...for me, anyway...). Beautiful job once again! And it's great to hear you're "inspired"--we'll be watching for more!

FF

10. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
  11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow...you pump drawings out fast! :p

Jag looks great so far. At this stage in the drawing, I don't see too many technical problems - something just looks a little strange around his neck and shoulders. Maybe the shoulders are too wide for his head? I can't really pinpoint it, but something looks a little awkward.

What else do you plan to do with it before calling it complete?

12. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Good start on Jag.

13. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Yeah, when I work, I work quickly. Then, of course, there are those dry periods... :p
    I agree with your analysis - I think the proportions of the head and shoulders are wrong (even though he is described as broad shouldered, this is a bit ridiculous!), and he is also much younger-looking than I would like. I need to fix those proportions, age his "baby face" a bit, make him a little more rugged/masculine, plus I was thinking of doing a second version with Jaina behind him, leaning on his shoulder. Lots of work left to do!
    Thanks so much for your input! Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks, Fels. He's going to get better, I promise.

oldj

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001

I think you have a pretty good schedule lined up for yourself there. The more I look at your rough sketch, the more I think it may be mostly the neck. With a thick neck like that, he reminds me of those guys who compete on TV in those muscle contests or whatever they are. I think you could trim it down on either side and I think the rest of him would look more in proportion with his head. Just little things like that could make a huge difference. But it looks like you have a pretty good idea on what needs to be done to make it look great. :)

15. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    :)

I think he's improving.

Thanks, HS29!

16. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Somehow.....I like his mouth. [face_blush]
    He's great! =D=

17. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
  18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    oldj, simply awesome work! =D=

Your Jag portrait is definitely improving and I think he looks much better! The only other thing I would do to it is angle his shoulders in just a tad so that they don't appear to be jolting straight out. But it definitely looks much better! I can't wait to see the finished drawing! ;)

Nice job aging Luke. Did you use a recent image of Mark Hamill for reference or did you age him all in your head? Either way, I think you did a great job! I really like how you still managed to keep his boy-like features eventhough he is in his 50s. This is very close to how I would picture him appearing during that time period! Great job!

Ah, and you even threw a bit of the Solos in there as well. ;) I think she kinda resembles Jaina, but you mention that she is a random Solo? Someone in the future perhaps? If so, you can definitely tell she's a Solo by the lopsided smile. It's pretty hard to place that with anyone else. Once again, very nice job! :)

19. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    The woman really reminds me of Jaina......
    Looks great! And Luke also.

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Amazing art oldj! =D=

I really love the middle age Luke!

You can see so much in his eyes, it kinda reminded me of when Corran told Luke(at the begining of NJO) that if age was measured in life experience he would be around 1,000.

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    HanSolo29 wrote: You pump out the drawings fast!

So true, so true! And me, struggling along to come up with one a month (if I'm really diligent...)... [face_frustrated]:_|

;)

Actually it's folks like you that keep the forum alive, my dear, so well done with the speed! :D

Love the expression on Jag's face! It just seems to suit his character so well--that sort of self-confident smirk that so many crack pilots seem to wear! I think the newest version is the best one, and I, too, can't wait to see it finished!

The Luke portrait is awesome! I knew you'd do a great job with him! The aging is very realistic, and not overdone--just right! And I love mavjade's quoting of Corran's comment about Luke's experience equaling being "1,000 years old!" So true! [face_laugh] Seriously, though--this is a wonderful likeness, and a great representation of our esteemed Jedi Master!

Also loving the "portrait of a lady!" I think I know who this is supposed to be, but won't spill on it now. In any case, she looks great! Your shading and defining of facial structures and planes is really getting good--it shows in everything you're posting now, and it's so fun to see you progressing so fast! Well done (and thanks for the Luke portrait! :p )!

FF

22. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Thank you for your support! I feel that Jag is getting there. You may be right about the shoulders - I'll try that out, thanks!
    Luke's picture - *sigh* - I've never actually tried a portrait of a specific person before, so I'm not really happy with this, but I'm going to use it as a "first draft" and try again. EDIT: I looked at some pictures of Mark Hamill, but didn't use any specific one as the basis for this. What this did was give me a sense of his features that I can use to do a better job next time! Funny you should see some of his "boy-like features" in this one, because I was consciously trying to keep a bit of the old Farmboy on his face!
    The woman isn't really a "random" Solo, but I'm not at liberty to identify her at the moment. I'll let you know when I'm able! *Smiles mysteriously*

Thanks, Chilla. I'm pleased that you can see Jaina (or at least her popular images) in that portrait. There'll be more on Luke (see above).

Thanks, mavjade! That's a nice reference for my "aging" Luke. Hope you like the next one...

LOL! I'm currently very inspired...I'd rather be home drawing than at work, I can tell you!
    I'm happy that you like the development of Jag. I like that quirky little non-smile too!
    I'm surprised you like this Luke! Fr

23. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003

Wednesday, January 4th - Still working on it!

;)

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, my...he's looking quite fantastic, oldj! I really like how you're shading these days--it looks very smooth and natural--and I like the shirt: something simple would suit Jag. He, like Jaina, would not be one to go for the "fru-fru clothes!" lol! It's looking great! =D=

FF

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    A very wise choice you made there with the cropping of the shoulders. He looks really great now - all the proportional errors seemed to have been fixed. And like FF, I love the choice of shirt. It really does fit Jag quite nicely. I can't wait to see what finishing touches you add to it! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.