main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC O'Leary quits Conservative race

Discussion in 'Community' started by SergeyX2017, Apr 27, 2017.

1. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Kevin O'Leary drops out of Conservative leadership race, endorses Maxime Bernier - Politics - CBC News

He screwed himself out of it from the start IMHO

He doesn't speak French and, perhaps because of that, is unpopular in Quebec, which, in part, is why he just quit the race: Kevin O'Leary drops out of leadership race, citing lack of Quebec support | CTV News

Quebec is a big deal, here in Canada. Can't win without Quebec. And the Quebecois won't back a guy who can't speak to them in French, simple as that ;)

And, in another epic fail, he also had reased an idiotic video of himself shooting an AR-15, I guess trying to appeal to gun owners, but this isn't America, the gun vote does not matter so much here, and his timing for that was awful too: Kevin O'Leary gun video called 'dumb' and 'insensitive' on day of funeral - National | Globalnews.ca

Basically, he tried to run an American campaign in Canada, not realising that what may work in one country wouldn't in another.

Too bad. I would have thought a successful businessman would be smarter than that.

Oh, well...

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll be eagerly awaiting Mark Cuban razzing him about that on next season's Shark Tank.

Darth_Furio and SergeyX2017 like this.
  4. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    That would be fun to watch lol

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks for the post BTW, I heard bits and pieces about this on Twitter yesterday, but not the whole story.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  7. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Damn. I was really looking forward to seeing him get humiliated in the 2019 general election. Here's hoping that Bernier, the likely winner of that leadership race, scares enough people with his libertarian ways that the Cons' seats are drastically reduced when the time comes.

He's really been a moron since the start. Not showing up at French debates (unlike other unilingual anglophone candidates that actually made the effort) and even refusing to show up at a bilingual one in Edmonton for "not liking the format". He then flat out refused to commit to actually living in Canada in the event he won the leadership, which would have meant a mostly absent opposition to the Liberals and would have kept him from winning the general election. One has to wonder at his motives for entering the race--boost his celebrity status?

On that note (and redneck Albertans will be highly disappointed with these results):

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/04/27/canada-us-poll-trump-abacus-data_n_16294726.html

The graphs from Abacus Data in that HuffPo are very interesting. The majority perception amongst Canadians is that China is more respectful, peaceful, and a better leader than the US. And there is strong opposition to deploying our military in hypothetical wars against China (with only 10% in favour), Syria(20%), North Korea(20%), and Russia (14%).

So yeah, some important things to consider for the remaining conservative candidates. Try to be Harper-lite in 2017 or Trump-lite, and you're done for. I will be watching the rest of this leadership contest with great interest, and here's hoping this is the end of celebrities having a go at politics in Canada. Let Lose-leary chill in Boston.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    rename thread Canadian Politics Thread

9. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    What, the LSD guy?

No...that was Timothy Leary. Oops.

SergeyX2017 likes this.