main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Olympics!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Lelila, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    As I sit at this happy little computer in the social science lab at school, the Opening Ceremonies are now going on half way around the world. Here's a general Olympic Thread so we can post about the events of the next 16 days. What's everyone looking forward to (ya, hockey's a given)?

Go Canada! :)

2. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Just caught the moguls, where the announcer announced our gold winner as being from the USA...:oops: *face palm*

3. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I thought she was from Alberta?

Here

4. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    Congratulations to our first gold medalist!

I'm not really a big Olympic fan though. I'll probably watch some of the men's hockey, and maybe figure skating if I happen to see it, but that's about it. I do hope the Canadian althetes do well though, and don't do drugs... at least don't get caught. ;)

5. cristalvandepol

cristalvandepol Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 30, 2002

Yeah, the announcer made a HUGE mistake. He corrected himself later and said she was from Canada.

6. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    I was watching some of the Olympic highlights at my brother's place today, and they showed the announcer apologize personally to Heil after the race for goofing up her nationality. I thought that was pretty classy on his part.

I also saw some stuff about the new judging format for figure skating. Hopefully it will get rid of the judging-by-reputation that always seems to happen during those events.

7. SaeseeJim

SaeseeJim Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2003
    Canada is kicking butt in hockey and I got to meet the team!!!!! after the game against italy

8. SaeseeJim

Oct 21, 2003
    I got to party with Team Canada's womens team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. jellicle_jedi73

jellicle_jedi73 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2005
    lucky you that must have been some party!!!

so fingers crossed for today....yes?

Canadian Hockey Rules!!!

10. SaeseeJim

Oct 21, 2003
    yeah I'm pretty nervous we have to play Russia in the Quarters, although if we do lose then that means me and my brother can sell our gold medal game tickets for lots of money.

11. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    The Canadian Women are kicking @$$ in gold medals.

12. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    I noticed that too. I think I counted something like 13 of the 18 total (four of five gold) medals Canada has won so far are by female athletes. I'm not really sure what that means, but it sure is interesting.

13. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Cindy Klassen won five medals in speedskating during these Olympics -- very impressive.

The men's hockey team couldn't score a freakin' goal in a game that mattered -- very disappointing.

14. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    (ya, hockey's a given)?

?

15. Fixer808

Fixer808 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    The Olympics are a joke. Amateur sport? What kind of amateur has access to government funded training facilities, performance enhancing bio-medical treatments, and super-lightweight polymer bodysuits that reduce wind resistence. My dad once said that all the athletes should compete naked, like in times long past, using generic, identical equipment.

Not only that, but who gets to pay for the party and clean up afterward? The host city. Vancouver is up for the "honour" of hosting the Olympics in 2010, that I, for one, voted against, only to find out that our mayor changed the rules of the thing from "referendum" to "survey" after all was said and done.

No, the Olympics exist these days only to make the rich richer. Just look at the lengths they go to protect their "Brand". There's a Greek food place here in Vancouver called "Olympia", or something to that effect, and it's been so for over 20 years. One day, the IOC waltzes in, after Vancouver has been named host city, and orders the name changed. I believe they refused, and I rather think it's still called Olympia. What's next? Are they going to drive down to the States and force Olympia, Washington to change it's name? If the Olympics were "amateur sport" and "for all the people of the world", then why do they need to hide behind their lawyers?

My apologies if this sounds a might harsh, but I'm paying for the damn thing, so I can say what I want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.