main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Omaha, NE Omegacon Possibilities and Ideas

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Forceofvader, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    First of all, whomever is telling you this information is full of lies. I sent you a PM, and ONLY you a PM. I told no one else anything about what I said. So whoever these mods are, I'd appreciate it if you told them to contact me so they can tell me where they got that story from.

You don't want to hear my rant about TFN for several reasons:

1) It's pretty darn long
    2) I would probably get a nice permanent ban for what I have to say about them
    3) I only tell this crap to people over AIM or ICQ, mainly so I DONT get banned

What it comes down to is you took my PM the wrong way. It was meant as hypothetical to see if you would even be interested if the opportunity presented itself. Secondly, I see NO REASON why you even had to post this in public...Private Messaging is a feature that should be used. And thirdly, you've been fed false information by these other mods. I have only talked to one other person who is a mod/admin/manager here about my problems with TFN and the whole FF ideas. Unless that person has betrayed me, which I seriously doubt, then I have no idea why you've been fed these falacies.

I maintain that my PM was entirely hypothetical in its purpose, and I see no reason why you needed to even tell me this in public. This has nothing to do with the thread, and furthermore, my offering to host this possible convention's site was a gesture of kindness and not some poor attempt to publicize my site as you suggested. We have plenty of ways to advertise, and hosting a site for a convention in my home town ISNT one of them. So please, next time instead of telling me this in public without confirming things with me first, PM me.

Adoniah

2. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    Well, first off I see no reason this needs to be as secretive as you seem to want it to be. Secondly, this person not only is a mod, but another CR as well, and says you solicited his chapter as well, stating we were going to switch. I still have that pm. And as I know him, and not you, I am inclined to take him at his word.

Next, if its something you would get banned over, then its nothing we want to be involved in. In all appearances you are trying to use us as a pawn in your fight against TFN. We will not be part of it.

Why make public statements? Because apparently unlike you, I have nothing to hide from TFN or this chapter. And any discussion about this groups future will be conducted in public, on these boards. We are a very welcoming bunch of people and love to meet new people, but none of us want to be played.

I never implied you needed us to promote your site. If you want to assist us, with or without your site, please feel free.

In regards to its relevance to the thread, it is, indirectly. We are a chapter of Fanforce, which is a part of TFN. We will extend an offer of participation to TFN and Fanforce for anything we organize. If that is unacceptable to you, so be it. But that is where we stand.

I am just stating our posistion. Now I hope we can consider this matter settled. No more sneaky pm's, no more "he said/she said."

3. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    No, this issue isn't settled, because frankly I now know to whom you are referring, and that person was who I was talking to. You want to know what I told him? I said, and I quote "It would be great if the OFF would switch over, but I seriously doubt it". Those were my words, ask him. I never said anything like "Yea, they're switching, so should you" or something like that. If he claims I did, he's lying.

And I said I'd get banned because the TFn staff is so unaccepting of opinions. You wanna hear my spiel in a nice condensed version? TFn has ruined and corrupted what fandom is supposed to be. TFN has taken it upon themselves to use FanForce as a marketing tool to make money for them. TFN goes around acting like they ARE the official source for all news and for the fans. I hate to tell you, but almost every bit of news on TFN comes from other sites, but they never EVER tell where the site is. It's always "Thanks to DD009238 for the info!". TFN is corrupt itself. They're no longer here for the fans, but they're here to make money off the fans and to make a huge name for themselves. So quick were they to go after Alderra.net when they posted the Ep2 story boards when in reality TFN probably had the Episode II Script!

I can't stand what TFN has turned fandom into. It's no longer about fans getting together or waiting in line for the next SW movie. To all of them it's about their status, about being known to over a million people. To them it's setting up a booth at C2, and being known for their precious FanForce, and their spy reports. This isn't a fan site, it's a business, becuase TFN does what businesses do. They compete. Period. No but's about it, TFN crushes any potential competition they may have. You think TFN is non-profit too? Everyone is always asking why I give a rat's ass about if they make money. You know why I care? First off, Lucas has stated that fan sites aren't allowed to make money. Why do you think TFN is listed at LLC? Why do you think they're always so defensive when people ask them about it? It's not a big deal to me that they are just LLC...I really dont care about that. It's the fact they're lying to millions of fans by claiming their non-profit status. It's the fact that they lie to fans by not telling them where all the money REALLY goes.

Arrogance. Status. Wealth. Power. Competition. That's what TFN is now. It's not that awesome fansite it USED to be a few years ago. Ever since TFN started to get the BIG hits, they've turned into, not a better fansite, like most sites would have, but a business.

So, you want to know what my beef is with TFN? It's not fanforce. I could care less because I already know they treat fanforces like crap. Therefore, I wouldn't really care if you're with them or not. What pisses me off is how they have and continue to ruin and destory fandom. How they have ruined what a fansite is. There is no more room on the fansite highway, because TFN is hogging it all up. THAT'S MY BEEF!!

EDIT: Paperclipx, maybe you should give me your ICQ or AIM if you have one, because I want to talk to you.

4. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Ok........ and? You havent stated anything that isnt old news. We've all heard this before. And you know what? I dont care. You are right, Fanforce is TFN's unwanted stepchild. We all know this. But if you pay attention, and get to know people, you will see TFN and Fanforce are really two seperate entity's. I stopped by TFN's booth just once during C2. Once. Did I care if they remembered me from AC? No. But I stopped by the Fanforce booth several times each day. Why? Because Fanforce is still about fans. I have met, and continue to meet, some awesome people thru fanforce. But just Fanforce. TFN can keep their beloved JC boards. I want nothing to do with them.
    And just for the record, you wont get banned by voicing your opinion of TFN here in Fanforce. I've said some less then polite things about them and they're heavy-handedness before, right here, and will defend the right of OFF'ers to do the same on our boards. Believe me, Fanforce is still about us, the real people behind SW. Maybe you dont get around all the boards, but I see it. I see it in the CR board, people from the CR level up, working to keep Fanforce fun.
    Im sure many of us share some of your feelings about TFN's practices. And believe me, Fanforce isnt "precious" to TFN. And you may be absolutely right about the reasons. FF does not make TFN any money. Just remember C2. TFN's booth was in the dealer area. Fanforce was put up in the fan group room. If FF was important to TFN, wouldnt it have been down with them?
    What I am saying is just because FF is one of TFN's annexations, dont lump them in the same boat. FF is the only part left thats still fan based. WE run FF. Ask anyone here that knows me. I am a huge SW fan. Not some TFN installed lackey. Go back thru our boards and read. We, the Omaha fans, started what we have. And Fanforce supported us the whole way. But I will not abandon them because TFN is indifferent to us.
    Did you go to C2? Where you at the Fanforce Party? That was organized not by TFN, but by the Indy Knights chapter. For the rest of Fanforce. That is what fandom is still about. Was C2 about money? You bet. Anyone who went knows this. But what makes things fun are the fans you meet. And the people I met were worth all the money I spent. Same with FF. I could care less about TFN. Alls that matters to me is our group and the friends I have made, and continue to make. Come to one of our meetings....you'll see fandom is still alive. To quote the "holy trilogy"....."Let go your hatred." It doesnt get you anywhere, it makes no difference to them, and get us, the fans you and I care about, off topic and into "agressive negotiations."
    I am not defending TFN. I am defending Fanforce. Still, if we do get something organized, we will extend an offer to TFN. Why? For the very reasons you stated. They are the net giant. They get the hits, they have the traffic, and to exclude them would be stupid. If we want this to be successful, we will do what we have to do, personal issues aside. Which brings me to the final point.
    I will not call the other "party" a liar. Perhaps he was mistaken by what you said. Perhaps he interpreted it the wrong way. And I may have jumped to conclusions. Let me explain why. I got your pm. And as you can attest I did not respond to it. Then, less then 12 hours later, I recieve the pm from the other person, with the following line (this is cut and pasted from the pm): "I heard you are considerng taking your FanForce chapter to Spark of the Force. He just offered to host us too." That line I interpreted to mean that you told him I was considering it. Which was a lie. I was not considering it, and had mentioned it to no one. So you can see the conclusion I drew. So I will publicly apologize for any misunderstanding I created. But I think you can see why under those circumstances.
    As I said before, we will stay with Fanforce, but welcome you and your site's assistance with what we hope to create here for the fans.

5. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    We've blown this WAY out of proportion. I never wanted to take away FanForce. I wanted to keep it together and make it even better!! I wanted to ASSIST the fans in what they need! TFN doesn't do crap for fanforce except get them publicity which, YES, in turn gets TFN MONEY. It's publicity, it's what a business does to make money. I was all for keeping FanForce intact, I just wanted to help them out. Then apparently what I said was blown out of proportion!

And can't you see my point of view? I'm coming from a site that is trying to beat TFN, to once again return things to what the fans want! I don't want some site that is focused on the money and glory, no! My dream has been to make a site that the fans run. JediNet had the best trademark...BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS! Well damnit, if TFN can't do that anymore then SOTF sure as hell will.

So, if SOTF were getting 10,000 hits a day, then you'd consider asking us for help? I mean, cmon, what do you think TFN will REALLY do? They'll put up some fake news article about a great convention in Omaha, and that's it. They don't host fan sites or that kind of stuff. And THAT is exactly what I want to change. I want to restore fandom to it's original status; people coming together, meeting friends, etc. THAT'S what SOTF is about, that's why I sent you that PM. There is nothing more sickening than to see FanForce run by a corrupt bunch of idiots who are only in it for the publicity. I wouldn't be here telling you all this if I didn't care about what happened to FanForce. Someday...maybe someday SOTF will be right behind TFN...maybe then you'll see what all this means...maybe not.

For the fans, by the fans!

6. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Controversy on the boards that doesn't involve me! :D :p

7. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Ok...Can you comprehend what you read? Maybe you should pay more attention to school and less to your dreams of being Captain Fanboy. First, did I say you needed 10,000 hits to participate? Have I ever said we dont want your help? Get over yourself, kid. You do realize SW is all about money dont you? SW isnt some "fan" creation that TFN took over. Do you think Uncle George cares about you? As long as we keep giving him our dollars, its all good.
    And dont even lecture me about fandom. I was a fan before you were even a glimmer in your Dad's eye. I've got action figures older then you. I've seen SW go from the mainstream, to an underground of geeks, and back toward the mainstream again. Times change, as does "fandom." Dont get all bent out of shape because TFN is making money doing what you want to do. If thats the case, get mad at Hasbro. They're making money off fans. Get mad at LFL and ILM. Do you own any of the novels? Any video games? Uh oh, they're making money off us poor fans. Oh no!! Once you realize that deep down, fandom IS a business, you'll come to terms with it. But I think you do know this, because you only seem to post here when it's beneficial to you and your site.
    What fandom is to us, as a group of fans...well, thats up to us. Some of us collect. Some of us game. In every type of "fandom" someone is making money. From the 501st on down. SOMEONE makes a dollar, legal or not. Its a fact of real life. I'm surprised you even want to help us with a convention. Someone might make money off of fans. Cant have that with your site being so high and mighty. Its up to you as the fan to control where your dollar goes. Do I make any money off of OFF? Nope. But I've put money INTO it. Does Bob make any money? No. But he, too, puts money in. Did we ask for anything back? No. Why? Because we do it out of our fandom. I opposed the gathering of dues, too. Why? Because as a fan group, I dont believe in the making money off of us fans. Same as you. So dont lump us in with TFN.
    You dont like TFN? Fine. Did you even read my last post? I agreed with you on several points. Somehow you missed that. But from day one here, you have been condescending to us. You've always thought you were better. Above all others. Your site is better...you can do this better, do that better. You are the type that makes us normal fans cringe. There is a fine difference between a huge fan and a bad one. We've seen your kind before.
    Now you can either be a member of the OFF who also runs a fan site, or you can continue to place yourself above us. We dont care. If you want to help, great. If not, thats fine too.
    Dont think I'm bashing your site. I'm not. As a matter of fact, we support our member's fan sites. If you go to our site, right there on the front page are links to our members sites. You want fandom? Why dont you participate with us, you'll see true fans. Be one of us, instead of trying to force us into your image of fans. You might be surprised to see we're alot alike.
    So in closing, let me again state all that I was ever trying to say.
    We are a chapter of Fanforce and will stay as such. I still believe you were trying to get chapters to switch over to aid your little fandom crusade. But as far as I'm concerned, thats over with and in the past. The offer to include you and your site in our con planning here is still open.
    And you're still welcome to participate in OFF. As long as you realize your idea of fandom and someone else's are possibly very different. But thats what makes us great....individuals with different fan approaches coming together.

8. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Is it just me or do you LIKE to make huge assumptions? From day one? From day one i've just tried to be a normal member around here. I hate to say, but its people like you who always make me AFRAID to go to any OFF meeetings. I said we could do better, which isn't a lie. So don't sit there and act like I'm telling you some sort of lie. And do you want a medal because you are older than me? Wow, sorry, I can't decide when I want to be born. You comparing things to cicrumstances which are completely unfair. I come in here offering a little help and then you blew it all out of proportion. BOOM! "It's gotta be his site, all he wants is hits! Bah, he thinks he's better than all of us!". Whatever. Believe what you want. The point is I only was trying to help you guys out. If you can't see that then I am disappointed.

9. UncleOwen1138

UncleOwen1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2001
    I think we all need to step back a little and remember what this thread is about. It?s about us fans getting together and putting on a good convention. AlphaCon was an awesome experience for me, and if we could duplicate that by even a fraction, I think we could have a hit on our hands. But one of the main problems with AlphaCon was the advertising. If this does get off the ground, we need as much exposure as possible. I think it would be foolish for us to ignore one of the largest Star Wars sites on the net, and just as foolish to ignore some of the smaller and/or newer sites.

I read TheForce.net multiple times daily. I enjoy it. It gives me the information I want. I have frankly never understood people?s anger toward them, but that?s just me. So, TFN makes money, so be it. To me and a lot of fans, it doesn?t matter. As long as they keep giving me what I want. Everyone has a right to his or her feelings, just don?t try and sway me. No matter what anybody says, I will still go to TFN. But that doesn?t mean I won?t read some of the other sites out there as well.

There are some awesome Star Wars sites out there. Now I?ve never claimed to be a professional webmaster, but I do what I can. I know you were just trying to help Adoniah. No one is accusing you of anything. I think it just hard to get certain points across correctly in words alone.

I have gotten a chance to look at your site Adoniah, and I must say it?s very nice. Very professional looking. It would be great if we could put links to each other?s sites. I know we would both like the extra traffic.

It?s really hard to have a decent conversation over these boards. I say we move ahead and have our special meeting next week. It would be great to have as much input as possible. The more, the better. We need to keep the momentum going. It would be nice for your input too Adoniah. And most of us are pretty harmless. I think you?ll end up having a good time. Just don?t ask "vracer" how he got his name. :D I know you don?t have a car, but maybe you could bum a ride with someone.

So, in closing my fellow fans, let stop the bickering, stop the finger pointing, and start planning an awesome convention! Sound good? Cool. Let?s start those idea?s up again.

boB

10. Forceofvader

Forceofvader Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2000
    Hi I'm Mike How R U???

I agree bOB. This is something that I think is best settled in person for several different reasons. One of which is debating items on a board sometimes adds too much to it. Basically we views things and take things differently. This is something we can discuss in person at the meeting if needed. I don't want anyone to get offended at this stage of it. Now after you meet me you get offended then YOUR LOSS!!!! J/K

Can we keep the ideas flowing here please. We were on a roll and took a a wrong turn somewhere. Let's get it back. Thanks

Big Daddy Kelley

11. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    "Thank the maker!"

12. TK750

TK750 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    Well, now that that's settled, what time is the meeting?

TB750
    Swift, Silent, Deadly

13. TK750

Oct 22, 2001
    Just a side note...

Things I'd love to be able to say, "Contacted Peter Mayhew about ...". Well, I can dream, can't I? Now, get back to work on ideas, slackers!

TB750
    Swift, Silent, Deadly...

14. sarahpie

sarahpie Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2001
    Back from D*Con....Managed to survive, somehow.

So anyways, ever heard of TW Miller? *watches for hands to go up* Anyways, he's a sci-fi author and one of his book is a movie now...or something. But yeah, I know him and I talked to him and mentioned something about us Omahans trying to put on a Con. Long story short, he said to drop him a line when things get more serious and he'd love to be a guest.

Same goes for Kammy Bonias (Fanfic writing and RPG stuff), I also know her from online and talked to her at D*Con. Didn't have time to mention our Con in progress, but I'm sure she'd be a guest as well.

Now to bathe in pure bleach to cleanse myself of the horrors of gratititous cleavage and people who should not be allowed to procreate.

15. TK750

Oct 22, 2001
    Just to be a further nuisance to the boards that no one reads... What time is the meeting? I know it's at Ground Zero, but as cool as Ground Zero is, it's been a long time since I've stuck around a comic book shop all day. Thanks.

TB750
    501st Pathfinders
    Swift, Silent, Deadly...

16. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    First time BDK said, "Oh yea i contacted Peter and he said he'd love to eat with us" I was floored.

I dunno how but that Ogre of a man has alot of contacts... strange to, considering he has no personality hehehe...*pokes BDK in the eye*

Sorry, back to your topic. Move along, Move along

17. Forceofvader

Aug 15, 2000
    Thanks Mike

Guys I'm not going to make it to the meeting tomorrow so you can still have it or we can reschedule for a few days later if you'd like. Let me know tonight. I'll be back in town tomorrow evening but I have to work. So let me know.

Mike

18. UncleOwen1138

Jan 13, 2001
    I say we wait until FOV can make it. Just my 2 cents!

boB

19. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Ditto. He's the man with the plan. Just let us know when your back!

20. Forceofvader

Aug 15, 2000
    OK I'll organize it with Dave at Ground and we'll go from there. Thanks guys.

BDK

21. Forceofvader

Aug 15, 2000
    OK How about we shoot for this Thursday at Ground Zero say 6:30???

22. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    If you mean today....too late of notice. Work till then. Couldnt be anywhere sooner then 7.

23. Forceofvader

Aug 15, 2000
    Mark,
    7:00 would be fine. Hope to see you there.

24. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    I'll see what I can do. No promises though. If not today, I can definately be there tomorrow night.

25. UncleOwen1138

Jan 13, 2001
    Sorry I can't go. It's my daughters b-day today. If you guys do go, please keep notes. I am interested in everything that goes on. Thanks.

boB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.