OMG - atomFILMS on SCI-FI CHANNEL

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Check theforce.net/theater Pixel, the news is posted there.
  2. Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I do have some issues with the content allowed in the Celebration contest. Some of the stuff now seen as "officially" endorsed would have been yanked on this server.

But hey, their rules, their game.
  3. Zayn Jedi Knight

star 3
    I hope K. Smith pokes fun at some of them :)
  4. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    EDIT: Sloppy grammer...

I have to say that everyone's made good points, and the thing that i think was really important was that we acknowledge that the Jim Ward comment and the Sci-Fi Channel debate are completely seperate issues. I'm glad to see everyone turning this topic back into a polite discussion.

:_|Kevin, noooooo....

-Chris :)
  5. floydman Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have been read and re-read this thread and know I beleive that I can say something of some value. I agree in some part with everything that has been said. I agree with Lord Rive in that we should not EXPECT any recognition from LFL because they are being great to us already. Porthas you said many legitamite(sp?) but I have to disagree with your comment about fanfilmmakers sucking at GL's imagination. These movies are COMPLETELY original in my opinion, filmmakiners are simply playing in a universe ceated by GL. People make movies using OUR universe all the time and they are comsidered original. I don't see the difference. You just have Bounty Hunters instead of hit men, Han Solo instead of Dirty Harry, and Yoda instead of ummm. that guy in Karate Kid.

So the in some cases the films on atomfilms don't show the best fans have to offer. If people like it then they will look for more. The only place to rationally do that is going on the web. And where does that get you HERE. I know thats how I found TF.N

peace,
    th floydman
  6. Sabermovies Jedi Padawan

Sith, Jedi, the Force -- all are concepts that George Lucas OWNS.

Vader, Padme, Skywalker, etc. -- all are characters that George Lucas came up with and OWNS.

Lightsabers -- belong to Lucas.
    tie fighters -- belong to lucas.
    Star destroyers -- belong to....

you get the idea. fan-Made movies using these concepts, characters, and trademarks ARE NOT "completely original" as was stated in the above post. Hell, if you watch all these fan films you'll see repetitive situations/dialogues/themes that come up that very closely approximate scenes from the OT, the PT and the EU material (examples: the torpedo into the tractor beam emitter from BA was a situation from one of Zahn's books, double bladed lightsaber being cut in half and then being wielded as two lightsabers, characters "turning" to the light/dark side of the force). Even though these exact situations/scenarios are not explicitly trademarked or "owned" by lucasfilm -- using them in your film DOES MAKE YOU LESS THAN "completely original."

Of course, some Fan Films are more original than others (ie: borrow less heavily from the OT, PT, EU, or other fanfilms) but ALL star wars fan films are unoriginal to a certain extent.

Lucasfilm should protect itself. People are stupid and CAN confuse these films for the real thing. Remember that Fan-made trailer for episode 2 with Gabriel Byrne and Leonardo Dicaprio in it? That thing got around and many many people believed it was the real damn trailer.

One last thing. here's a quote from the above post:
    "People make movies using OUR universe all the time and they are comsidered original. I don't see the difference. You just have Bounty Hunters instead of hit men, Han Solo instead of Dirty Harry, and Yoda instead of ummm. that guy in Karate Kid."

Um, no one came up with "our universe." so no copyright infringement possibilities there, but if you did a movie about the lincoln assassination with different characters, you would be slightly unoriginal. If you put spiderman in your film, you ripped off the marvel universe. If you put james bond in your film you ripped off Ian Fleming. If you put the Emperor (or a guy dressed like him) in your movie -- you ripped off george lucas -- have fun with that, but don't claim to be "original."

7. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    using them in your film DOES MAKE YOU LESS THAN "completely original."

Let's not forget that Lucas is JUST as guilty of this (The Hidden Fortress etc.)
  8. Sabermovies Jedi Padawan

and he has acknowledged that, and many other influences.
  9. JediTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Saberfilms .....

They're called FANFilms.

What part of the definition of FAN don't you understand??

Do you not think that anyone smart enough to search out such films on the internet would not be smart enough to also disseminate the difference between the ACTUAL GEORGE LUCAS Star Wars films and FanFilms ???

By their VERY NATURE, FanFilms are utilizing the ideas, concepts, characters, and general ideas of the entity on which they are BASED. OF COURSE they involve the principles, characterizations, weapons and concept framework of Lucas' conceived Star Wars Universe.

It does not mean that we are "ripping him off."
    It does not mean that we expect people to take our stories and depictions as "canon."

It means that we are CELEBRATING our FANdom of Lucas' Star Wars concept.

Is this such a WRONG thing???
  10. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    and he has acknowledged that

Just as we have acknowledged Lucas as our influence

I refer you again to the main argument in THIS thread (as opposed to the countless others on the atomfilms competition)

You know what the real kicker is ... the voice over on the commerical stated, "see what Star Wars Fans do best."
    WHAT THEY DO BEST is what can be seen on websites such as TFN, FanFilmFX and the Star Wars FanFilm Database.

By excluding the majority of FanFilms, how can this be what Star Wars fans do "best"?

11. Sabermovies Jedi Padawan

I was responding to floyd who felt that all the FANfilms are "completely original".

I'm not trying to take anything away from the FANfilms or Lucas or Kurosawa or you or anyone. Just trying to get Floyd to reexamine his statement.

I mentioned the bit about the FAN-made trailer, because it was and has been called a Fan-made trailer, but I have seen it on numerous sites and on morpheus/kazaa billed as "EPISODE 2 trailer."

It is not TOO big a stretch to imagine someone taking parts of duality or BA or one of these other FANfilms, editing it and selling it in asia or on ebay or something to unwitting people. This is another possible rationalization for Lucasfilm to stipulate that only OBVIOUS PARODIES and the like can be endorsed on this SciFi special and the Atom films contest.

That's all I was saying. Everyone relax.

(for the record: I too believe that Duality is a parody, but it is too subtle for Lucasfilm to accept)
  12. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    I don't think that many people have a REAL problem with the stipulations that Lucas laid down for the competition. What gets our goats is how this fares for other fanfilm makers "see what Star Wars Fans do best."
  13. Sabermovies Jedi Padawan

halibut said:

"I refer you again to the main argument in THIS thread (as opposed to the countless others on the atomfilms competition)

You know what the real kicker is ... the voice over on the commerical stated, "see what Star Wars Fans do best."
    WHAT THEY DO BEST is what can be seen on websites such as TFN, FanFilmFX and the Star Wars FanFilm Database. "

I thought the statement implied that "making FANfilms" is what star wars fans do best.

So if I want to see Star wars fans making fan films, I'll go download fanfilms or watch the SciFi special.

the Voiceover, as you've quoted it, does NOT imply "SEE THE BEST STAR WARS FAN FILMS." I've not heard the commercial, perhaps it comes across differently when read aloud by the announcer.

I would say, however, that what star wars fans DO BEST is "buy star wars merchandise".
    We ALL know that. In fact here is the list:

What Star wars fans Do best:

1. Buy Star Wars Merchandise
    2. Watch Star Wars movies repeatedly
    3. Argue about Starwars Movies
    4. *Make FanFilms*
    5. Argue about making Fan Films.
    6. Read Spoilers about upcoming SW films.
    7. Nurture a Love/hate relationship with George Lucas and his companies.
    8. Consume Junk food.
    9. Argue about the EU
    10. Play Jedi Knight.
  14. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    That is the most stereotypical insulting thing I've read here in a long time
  15. Sabermovies Jedi Padawan

don't take yourself so seriously.

16. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    don't make false accusations
  17. Sabermovies Jedi Padawan

ah, sorry, I didn't detect the sarcasm. I was wondering how someone could be so uptight.
  18. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    If you were being sarcastic, then I apologise

But sarcasm of that sort in a thread of a topic that is clearly very personal to many people is probably not a good idea. Perhaps a :p or ;) after future similar posts would avoid future confusion
  19. Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Oh, good heavens. Looks like everyone is taking things a little too seriously...
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.