main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"OMG IT TILTS" or how the Revolution might just live up to it's name

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    What with the recent thread announcing the X-Box 360's finalised price, and then that other one about the PS3 coming in 2007, I figured I might as well even things up a little by spouting off about the latest rumours to come quietly out of Nintendo.

Two big industry names, Yuji Naka (Sonic Team) and Peter Molyneux (Lionhead) have seen the console and controller at the Leipzig European Games Convention and given them the perverbial thumbs up (while still being very vague, seeing as they're sworn to secrecy until the official unveilings), and some more insight has come from Computer Games Magazine, as they talk about the revolution being in the controller.

So presumably we can expect a wireless controller with a rumble pack that tilts. IS'NT THAT AWESOME?
    Well... no.

But a wireless controller that has resistance to tilting could potentially be awesome.
    Consider it, you push it one way, and it pushes back; you take a tight turn in a racing game, and the controller swerves itself in the opposite direction; you get flung against a wall by an evil boss, and the controller jerks out of your hands.

This could actually be something special, and if it's true, (since the N64 brought the innovation of the Rumblepak, and the PlayStation followed suit with DualShock controllers) expect the later incarnations of the PS3 and XBox 360 controllers to have something like this too.

2. Jango-Fett10

Jango-Fett10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah. I wonder what surprises they each have for their controllers next. Just like The Fruit Roll-ups commercials. "What will he roll up next?" lol.

3. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    If a controller with resistance/tilt is all we're getting from all this hush, hush secrecy around the revolution, that's pretty dissapointing. They could have released something like that with the gamecube.
    It'll probably work with like two games (like the whole using-a-gba-as-a-controller hoopla) and then developers will be over it.
    Surely Nintendo's got more up their sleeve than this.

4. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I like my GC and all that and I can say I'm watching out for the Revolution but I agree, if that's their big "to-do"....then meh.

5. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    I love Nintendo. Even though I only very few games for it (Super Smash Brothers Melee, Resident Evil (first original BEAUTIFUL remake, & Eternal Darkness & all of The Legend Of Zelda Promo / Collector's Disc which came out so that is 6 with Wind Waker making 7 games. Now while I do not find many Gamecube games to be WOW but Zelda & maybe a certain few games here & there make this system worth buying & I like forward to Revolution.

6. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Pretty much the same here, I don't own a lot of games for GC, but all the games I do own are just... everytime I play one it like, "WHY DIDN'T I BUY A GAMECUBE EARLIER?" Because I've only had mine for a couple months. But yeah, I just bought Windwaker yesterday, and wow, that is an AWESOME game. Anyways... what was the topic? ;)

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's "Gamecube games and how other systems gather dust" ;)

8. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Don't even get me started! :p

9. RogueStarkiller

RogueStarkiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    Gimmicks won't make up for a lack of titles that the PS3 and Xbox 360 will possess. It's sad really, I used to be a big Nintendo fanboy back in the day.

10. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I think the revolutions backwards compatibility makes up for the lack of new titles ;)

11. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    It's true sadly, well not completely. I had an NES and then yes, I was a fanboy. But I had Genesis and SNES, prefered Genesis. Had a PS1 and a 64, prefered PS1. Had an Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube... well that's tougher. I guess I would say PS2 in the end... But I am absolutely loving my 'Cube

Needless to say I've always enjoyed Nintendo, but they have this problem with playing only to the hardcore Nintendo fans, and as noble as that is... it's gonna be their downfall.

PS3 and 360 are backwards combatible too. It's no longer a gimick, it's a necesity.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, hopefully Revolution will attract a wider title selection, but even if Nintendo keeps up what it's doing it won't be much of a bad thing- hell, i have 40+ GCN games and most of those are solid titles and that's all anyone will usually ever need over the average console lifespan.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    You have to remember that Nintendo is using its gaming library of 20 years for it's backwards compatibility. Sony and Microsoft have no where near as many games.

People are always talking about Nintendo's "lack" of games and how there are so many more for X-Box and PS2. All I can say is that I prefer quality of quantity. I'll take one Zelda game over a bunch of Final Fantasy's. And I'd definetly take Samus over Master Chief any day.

14. RogueStarkiller

RogueStarkiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    Except for the fact that the Xbox 360 with the 20GB hard drive that most people will get and the Playstation 3 are both backwards compatible...

15. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    Revolution being backwards compatible makes crap difference to me. I think I have six games for my Gamecube, so I could give a damn. As for the whole thing with X360 and PS3 being like computers in a way, I think that's crap. But this isn't the place to complain about that. A controller that fights back would frighten me, honestly.

16. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I remember my friend asked me "What game should I get for Gamecube, tell me some good games" And I made this HUGE list of Gamecube original and exclusives, and just... it put things in prospective. Someone else said Quality over Quantity, and he has it right! For every one good game on the 'Cube there's 27 bad ones for Xbox and PS2... Not a real statistic... btw...

Anyways, plus Revolution will have access to the old school games, which will be neat. Not that it matters too much though.

17. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Gimmicks won't make up for a lack of titles that the PS3 and Xbox 360 will possess.

To be fair on them, Developers can't be expected to sign up to the Revolution until they see what the system is capable of. And Nintendo really has'nt unveiled any technology yet (other than the fact that it's going to be in a little box with a DVD drive with a shiny blue light).
    If it turns out that the Rev is just a Gamecube with go-faster stripes, the devs would be a little bit stuck with the technology.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    There's that and from what I've heard Nintendo Revolution is going to offer free wireless internet multiplayer action, be backward comapatible and allow for the on-line dowloading of any game in Nintendo's NES, SNES and N64 catalogues. This too may be free.

19. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    Some of the downloadable games will be free. Most likely the ones made by Nintendo. Third party developers will choose whether they want their games to be free or not. That's another thing Nintendo has that Sony and Microsoft don't. They can make their own games.

20. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    *Reads first post and shakes heads then leaves*

21. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Let the consolo flaming begin! :p

Oh well I'll wait and see how everything turns out :)

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With exception to the ball design (which I could actually see being used as a novelty controller for a sports game or something) those are ungodly awful controller design suggestions.

24. MasterYogurt

MasterYogurt Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2005
    Nintenball? Wow, is that the best they can come up with? [face_laugh]

25. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I think the N64 controller is still the best design for a controller ever made (and that's got a lot to do with why Goldeneye is still such a great game.)

First console with analogue controls, first controller with feedback- both immediately copied by Sony. I have total faith that Nintendo can make a genuinely revolutionary controller, and haptic technology seems like the obvious next step. I do wonder whether the DS' touchpad and Gamecube's integration with Gameboys is going to be more of a clue as to the direction that they are heading in though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.