"OMG IT TILTS" or how the Revolution might just live up to it's name

Discussion in 'Games' started by SoloCommand, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm, the giant joystick, the plastic piece of sirloin or the testicle with buttons. Decisions, decisions...
  2. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think the N64 controller is still the best design for a controller ever made (and that's got a lot to do with why Goldeneye is still such a great game.)

First console with analogue controls

[image=http://www.old-computers.com/museum/icones_photos/mb_vectrex_controller.jpg] [image=http://www.atariage.com/5200/controllers/con_Atari5200Joystick_a.jpg]

Actualy both Atari and the Vectrex had already done analogue control sticks long before the N64.
  3. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I suppose there were analogue controllers before. Was the Atari's stick actually analogue in practice? I thought it was still 8-way... And were they analogue for distance as well as direction?

But the N64 was certainly a quantum leap from the control pads everyone was using for the previous decade or so.

Man- I'd forgotten the Vectrex. That was a strange thing wasn't it- the screen didn't actually have pixels, as I recall- the vectors were analogue points on the screen that was built into the machine. Very odd, and completely different to anything that's been seen since. I'd love to see one of those again... Now that would be a revolution!
  4. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    ..eh, i honestly think the Gamecube has the best controller ever.

The best of all-worlds in that design.

5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I agree- the only flaws in the GCN controller design are the Z-button and cross-pad..if they could fix that and give it a cousin on the left side of the controller and make the cross pad larger, it'd be perfect.
  6. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I don't get how the controller can be that different, if the system is backwards compatible with Gamecube (plus a veritable cornicopoia of old skool Nintendo games). Unless, it allows you to plug in the Gamecube controller, as well as the new "super cool, put other companies out of business, change the world for the better" controller.
  7. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Question: do you prefer more or less buttons on your controller? I don't see many on the latest generation's, and many awkwardly placed . . .
  8. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    i personally found the ps2's controller to be the most user friendly, it was just the right size, you had the two analogue sticks in lefty-friendly places, the symbol buttons are easily placed so that a newbie can pick it up and get into party gaming, and you had the two shoulder buttons on each side, if they could be made more like the xbox or GC controller triggers, and the symbol buttons could be coloured the same as the xbox controller buttons but in the same position, i think that'd be the best.
  9. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    PS2 controller's downfall is the same as the GC's... the D button. GC has it way too smal, and PS2 and PSX versions were little triangles disconnected, making doing angled or curved commands akward.

As for Nintendo being in trouble?

People who say this generally either don't see the company's earnings and business plan.

Nintendo ain't going anywhere. They may not be number 1... but they have yet to be in trouble and have been going steady. Their only system that didn't make money was the Virtual Boy, I believe.

Yes, N64 made them money as did the GC.

Not NES or SNES money.... but trust me, they ain't got anything to worry about.
  10. Delta_62 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Sept. 16, details on Revolution come out.
  11. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The PS2's controller had three main issues, IMO- the most severe of which is that the analog sticks have absolutely zero resistance- a small tap and they just go flying, makes it difficult to be precise- GCN (and even XB) had some more physical resistance that makes it much more natural in it's response.

A little less of an issue but still annoying was the lack of easy distinction between the two sets of trigger buttons- with the GCN, though the z-button was not well placed at least you never confused R for Z.

And, lastly, I just felt it didn't mold so smoothly to one's hands as the GCN controller does.
  12. Delta_62 Jedi Youngling

star 4
  13. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I never really liked Sony's controller. I think it was the whole square, triangle, Ex, Circle thing. It's a lot easier for the buttons to be named after letters (or numbers) than shapes IMHO. Whenever I was first learning to play a game I ALWAYS had to look down at the controller to see which button was wear. I never had that problem with any of the Nintendo controllers.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    yeah thats annoying too, but I imagine it'd be managable after you play it enough times.
  15. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I'm sure it is. I just never got into Playstation enough to get over it. With the exception of a few games I never play anything on my PS2.
  16. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    How about a glove, with gyroscopes to detect movement in space- imagine playing Black and White with something like that?

And it's an idea Nintento have played with in the past:

[image=http://perso.wanadoo.fr/balleatomique/musee/accessoires/divers/nintendo-nespower.JPG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Glove
  17. LordSilvertouch Jedi Master

star 4
    A cyberglove that interacts with a 3-D hologram is not only possible now, but not that expensive.*

* By not that expensive, i mean not as much as it used to be. It's still probably a hefty ransom.
  18. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    U-Force man, U-Force.

[image=http://www.gamerzuniverse.net/nintendo/imagesnes/uforce_with_power_grip.jpg]
  19. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I feel like Obi-Wan saying this but "Nintend has never failed me before"

Though I'll still be getting one of the other systems...
  20. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    Regardless I will own the Revolution at launch.

~PK~
  21. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Oddly enough, the U-Force reference wasn't all that far off the mark...
  23. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Does this thing use gyroscopes for it's motions sensitivity then, or is it more of a lightgun kind of system? I noticed that there's a bit on the end that suggests some sort of lightgun-type functionality, but surely that wouldn't be much use if it's pointing anywhere other than at the screen?

Or is it a bit of both?
  24. Drakhaon Jedi Padawan

Wow...that thing is awful...

I read this in the article...

"The slim controller can be used one-handed or can be fitted with an extension cord that links it to a familiar thumb-controlled joystick."

so in other words...we're going to give you a remote control for a television and expect you to play games with it...

OR you can pay 39.99 for a regular Freakin control...

I'm sorry but that's already a turn off.

OF course other companies have burned us in the past with similar insanity...

but come on...I don't know about the rest of you, but playing Zelda with a DVD remote isn't my idea of a fun time...

25. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Seen the picture, but couldn't be bothered with reading all those words?

Or maybe you've got a remote control with motion sensors?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.